Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random question of the day

We should start one of those threads.

Maybe we can do it here? Maybe it's better suited for the Off topic section, I dunno.

Anyway. My random question. I'm looking rather seriously into a dual range transmission swap into an EJ car.

But I was thinking, since the low range unit is in front of the transmission on the DR, is it possible to shift between lo and hi on the fly? Or, at least by pushing the clutch in, while rolling, is it possible to shift from lo into hi range?

I mean I'm sure it's do-able, I've shifted my Ranger from lo to hi while rolling. Kinda tricky but I went from 4th gear lo to 2nd gear hi, with no crunching. :D

Is it designed to be able to do that or do you have to be just stupid enough to try it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might actually be a good idea seeing how many times the same questions have been opened up day after day.

Newbies, or even veteran members could ask their questions in here, vs opening a new thread that will only get 3 replies and then it will either get answered, or never be updated and just fade into the 100s similar threads of thread.

This should be a sticky! :)

all the d/r ive used will switch from hi to lo no problem with the clutch in and driving in a straight line. i used to do it in my rx to get better launchs

Thanks! Now I gotta go find one. I had this grand idea for lifting my sedan, but now i'm thinking along the lines of putting the lift on my wagon, swap out the automagic trans for a dual range 5 speed. :D Then I could sell the sedan and have room to park my truck in my driveway, rather than my friends backyard. :o

You know I always kinda hated the "official" title on threads, but if the idea gains some momentum we could make a "Official Simple Everyday Answered Questions Thread" thread. :-p

my 86gl has no such switch. however, my 91 loyale does have the switch

This was probably a safety feature mandated by the DOT in the late 80s or early 90s. As all EJ body Subarus have the clutch switch.

You can also not start an AT Loyale in gear, Has to be in P or N.

The saftey switches are kinda nice, my 80 wagon has a pretty big dent in it from its previous owner. He had an old truck and parked behing the wagon when he went to leave for work he forgot to put the trucks clutch in and it jumped forward rearending the wagon. Not really a big deal to me but shows that it happens.

my 83 GL has no safety switch on the starter, my 92 loyale wagon had one that ALWAYS worked, now the one on my 93 sedan u could oddly enough trick it by smashing the gas a couple times and it'd start with out the clutch in. although i do believe the 93 sedan is haunted by the original owner who passed away n i aquired the car from his demise.

You can shiftt from lo to hi. %th gear lo is just shorter than 3rd gear hi. I like doing a '3rd gear split' for a 'simulated 6 spd'

Now answer me this:

If plural of mouse is mice, and if goose is geese, could'nt moose be meece?

That's actually funny, because I was thinking along the same lines. Even with big tires, you could still get off the line in Lo without trouble, then shift into hi around third gear and keep on rolling.

I thought the plural of mouse was meese?

I thought the plural of mouse was meese?

Teacher cracks your hands with a ruler for that one!

"Have you learned nothing in the 8 years you spent in Grade school boy!"

To keep this thread on track so it does not get removed:

How come the Oil and Transmission dip sticks on EJ cars are never accurate? It always reads over full, when it actually is spot on.

I have had a burning question for the three years I've owned this car. It is better suited to the car itself, but since it can not speak I will voice my frustration here:

Why, WHY, when I do one job (say, timing belts) does something COMPLETELY UNRELATED go wrong (say...crank angle sensor dies) that involves even MORE time and money?

Then I can drive it for months and months and change the oil and within three days the fuel pump needs replacing? The first instance happened, the second didn't. Well, hasn't.

Ok, in all seriousness, has anyone put a hidden unlock switch of some sort on the car? Under the hood/grill/wiper/bumper/etc?

for the ea81 people- my ea81, built up, is noisy again, after replacing broken valve spring (#4 cyl. intake) and reset the valve lash. I think i broke another valve spring, its only been approx a month since this all happened.

SO- why or anyone else had problems with this? I dont drive it extremely hard, maybe 4500rpms max. I do however drive for extended periods at hwy speeds, up/down hills. Noticed power loss and rough idle now... idk thought id ask and keep the thread on topic! thanks for reading.

I have had a burning question for the three years I've owned this car. It is better suited to the car itself, but since it can not speak I will voice my frustration here:

Why, WHY, when I do one job (say, timing belts) does something COMPLETELY UNRELATED go wrong (say...crank angle sensor dies) that involves even MORE time and money?

Then I can drive it for months and months and change the oil and within three days the fuel pump needs replacing? The first instance happened, the second didn't. Well, hasn't.

Ok, in all seriousness, has anyone put a hidden unlock switch of some sort on the car? Under the hood/grill/wiper/bumper/etc?

i know exactly what you mean. its like the car has a bunch of small cuts and every time you put a band aid on one it holds out its paw to show you another. i think theyre more like pets than cars.

Random question;

Do 5 speed GL series vehicles have clutch switches on the starter?

I can start my GL without pushing in the clutch.

The safety switch is on the clutch pedal. It was present on 91 loyale and up. No GL has it, and 90 loyale does not have it.

I'm trying to find out the length of the rear driveshaft on an EA car that would have the 5 speed D/R trans. Anyone happen to know? Is the wheelbase any different between a wagon and sedan of that era?

I know this is one of the hurdles I'll have to jump for a swap to be fully functional. Just trying to figure out if I need a whole new driveshaft built, or if I can steal a slip section from an EA driveshaft and use the rear section from the EJ driveshaft then just have a small section fashioned to fit between that would cost a bit less.

This might have been the same time DOT mandated Auto-Seat belts in place of Air bags. As I think '90 Loyales have Manual belts.

That is correct. :D

Well, the belt part as far as I know.

'90 Loyale ; manual belts

'91-up Loyale ; auto belts

Dumb DOT... just becuase there are auto shoulder belts, doesn't mean people will attatch the lap belt as well. Or maybe Subaru should have made the lap belt part of the auto-belt... Hmmm :-p

That is correct. :D

Well, the belt part as far as I know.

'90 Loyale ; manual belts

'91-up Loyale ; auto belts

Dumb DOT... just becuase there are auto shoulder belts, doesn't mean people will attatch the lap belt as well. Or maybe Subaru should have made the lap belt part of the auto-belt... Hmmm :-p

Legal loop hole, as was the "Air pump" American vehicles started coming out with to meet emissions standards. It really has no purpose.

<<--- Guilty!

but since we are now a seatbelt law state, atleast i dont have to worry bout getting pulled over for not having a seatbelt on. i can only imagine how ************ed one would get in a collision with just the shoulder belt on tho..

you are not alone. for me it typically comes in 3's not only car related tho. one nice below zero winter friday night a few years ago, my wifes fuel lines and pump (too low on gas, damn women), so we had the car towed, got home to find out our furnace went out, and then paid $500 for a saturday emergency call/repair which the guy said "you still need a new furnace but this will work for now" I cant remember the last thing, but i was so pissed off that weekend. all that crap ended up costing us like $1500

it was lame.