Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help with ej swap

sorry i dont have much knowledge on the ecu stuff so whats the big difference between obd-I and odb-II?

OBD-II is the government mandated interface for diagnostic code readers. It was made mandatory in '96 but many manufacturers such as Subaru were compliant in '95. It has a generic (not manufacturer specific like OBD-I) port that can be used to check for diagnostic trouble codes, etc. Code readers for this interface are about $25 on ebay, etc. The OBD-II ECU's are faster and easier to interface with. Their wiring harness is also much simpler than the OBD-I harnesses as Subaru did away with the Super Main Junction (SMJ). Depending on the year - some OBD-II's have only a few additional connectors - the OBD-II port itself and the secondary O2 sensor being the most prominent.

OBD-I (90 to 94) is a nightmare. A lot more work to strip the harnesses and the ECU is primitive and picky. The MAF and IAC were tranmission specific unlike the later years and the diagnostic process is more involved - you don't need a code reader to simply get the trouble codes but to interface at higher levels such as reading raw data streams, etc you need a Subaru Select Monitor ($$$) or a laptop setup with special software and a custom cable....

OBD-II is the clear winner. But to make your 92 into an OBD-II engine you will need the wiring harness, manifold harness, IAC, MAF, and ECU from an OBD-II setup. Possibly a few other sensors also. Secondary O2.... etc.

GD

Sure - up to you. I can strip either one. I remove the SMJ when I strip them and most of the people that offer stripping services do not. It's a bunch of extra work and that's why I'm $250 for those and $200 for the 95 to 98 harnesses. I solder and heat shrink all my connections and label all wire connection points with printed labels. The best harness for a swap IMO is a '95 or '96 Legacy 5MT harness.

GD

Sure - up to you. I can strip either one. I remove the SMJ when I strip them and most of the people that offer stripping services do not. It's a bunch of extra work and that's why I'm $250 for those and $200 for the 95 to 98 harnesses. I solder and heat shrink all my connections and label all wire connection points with printed labels. The best harness for a swap IMO is a '95 or '96 Legacy 5MT harness.

GD

Well i got the 92 auto harness and ecu and i could pay 250 to have it done right. i got all the front end wiring, dash and wires running from ecu so i give you those and harness from my ea and you will make it to where it just basically plugs in and wiring is done?

Well i got the 92 auto harness and ecu and i could pay 250 to have it done right. i got all the front end wiring, dash and wires running from ecu so i give you those and harness from my ea and you will make it to where it just basically plugs in and wiring is done?

Doesn't work that way. You are talking about a harness merge and that's not usually done with EA's because of the quite different nature of the two.

For $250 you get the 92 harness stripped to where you can install it into the car as a seperate entity - adding the appropriate fuses and making the neccesary connections for it to run properly.

A merged harness where I incorporate the EA and EJ harnesses into one unit that plugs into the car would cost significantly more both in labor and shipping. Somewhere around $600 labor plus additional shipping for the monster box it would live in.

But again - no one does that. It's easier to just do the neccesary dozen or so connections in the car without ever removing it's original harness.

GD

I did my own, it was pretty streight forward. If you search my name I have a couple posts on stripping them down. http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=136053

This link helped out a lot. It has all the Ecu wires numberd and labeld. It not for a Subaru but I found it to be help full. And its pretty much a good labeler.

I think there's also a PDF in one of them that nux wrote of stuff you tap into in the car.

If you pm me I could help with some of it.

i dont mean to step on any toes here, and if you plan to SHIp it, my point is moot and irrelevent.

and i havent seen him in here in awhile anyhow...

but suberdave does the harnesses. i bought my ej18 from him, the engine and all that, and he did a good job of clearly labeling the useful wires, tearing out and tossing the unnecessary wires, etc,...

i wont say that he is better than anyone else. ive just got the ONE ej18 in my brat. but thats my single experience and it was positive.

if you need a hand with the GRUNT and dirt, i could help you, for a cheeseburger and fries. i will even pay my own gas. but yea. im a fool at wiring. but if you dont have a greasy garage buddy to scrape knuckles with you, i am willing. WARm garage preferred. i do all my stuff in a carport and i live in a very cold and wet bend of the river in the foothills. yea anyhow.....