Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Impreza L for $2400? Should I buy?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at buying a different subaru, I have a 97 legacy gt wagon and I would like something smaller and more gas efficient, but would like to stick with subaru. I'm looking for something to work on myself...

I'm looking at this one: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3206229675.html

This guy selling this car just won't come down from $2400 on this car. Things I'm concerned about, that should bring the price down is, no anti-lock brakes, no cruise control, steel wheels, 90k miles major service has not been done. Other than that it looks good. 12-R AC?

I appreciate your input as you guys know best... thanks. I would like to buy something I don't mind putting some money into when I do repairs, my 97 became a project car I can't sell until I fix this or that...

Regards,

Kevin

Suggest you go on line, look at used car pricing in NADA used car prices. The Impreza L model is the entry level, so that is why there is no cruise, steel wheels, etc. NADA will give you guidance if $2,400 is a reasonable price.

From the website pixs, the car looks good. Floor wells look a little dirty, but prolly will clean up.

The A/C most likely uses R-12 refrigerant, unless it has already been converted over to R-1234a. I think Subaru, and the rest of the car industry switched to R-134a in 1994.

The 2.2 motor in a 93 is non interference, so if the T-belt breaks, there is no valve damage. That is good to know, but the belt is most likely the original in the car, and needs to be replaced.

Everyone's market is different. As suggested check other areas.

Here in the NE, waay overpriced.

The major question is how many of the std maintenance items have to be replaced after purchase?

Things such as struts, ball joints,worn bushings,bearings etc.

O.

Looks good, purchased a '93 with less than 100k myself, great simple to work on vehicle. Get about 27 mpg average mixed driving with 1.8 automatic. Suspect the vehicle in question will get better mpg with a stick. Probably a FWD EJ18 unless swapped to a 2.2, as don't believe the 2.2 was offered in the '93 Impreza line. Still a great non-interference motor with enough power for flat 'ol Florida.

Price? I dunno, plan on spending $200- 300$ for t-belt, h20 pump, cam seals, o-rings, fluids, etc. if doing yourself. Search the forum threads for kits and how to's, lots of good info.

I'd love to have that car's body and trans up here in WI, but don't think I'd go $2400 for FWD, of course don't really need AWD in FL do ya? :D

Make him an offer with the service costs in mind, hard to find a good condition low mileage example of this vintage for cheap.

Good luck!:drunk:

i like the nice clean looking engine bay and all.

$2,400 is really steep.

and for that price the timing belt hasn't been done? that's a $500 job on the cheap end at a dealer, higher if it's done right.

in my opinion that's not a good daily driver until it has a new timing belt kit - they're $60 - $100 on ebay. the timing pulleys are old and so is the belt.

i was looking for about the same thing you're looking for earlier this year and there are not many of them...but if you give yourself time you'll see them consistently popping up here and there on craigslist.

Edited by grossgary

too much. in my area that would go for around $2000 if it had a new timing belt. it only gets 27? my legacy gets that and its all wheel drive with 211k on it with a blown head gasket and a broken charcoal canister lol that should get better milage than that.

Yeah, it's a little steep... he did a kitchen renovation job and traded the car for the job and i guess didn't really know what he could get for it. So he cleaned the car nicely and sticking his guns to $2400. I just sold my car for $2400 and I'll have to pay $300 up for title and transfer, rental car... it's pricey for the year.

He's meeting me half way on the road, so at least I save some gas money. I just want him to come down a couple hundred dollars and I'll be happy. He's not willing to though, he claims that the car is in mint condition, but it's going to need work. I can do the work myself, but still.

He's just trying to sell me the car, first said it had the timing belt and water pump done and then said his mechanic said that the timing belt only needs doing at 140k, which is wrong. I told him...

Well... it's the 1.8 engine FWD. It's what I want, in the color I want, just a few things I don't like is the price, abs brakes and no cruise. But I could live with that. I already asked him to come down twice, perhaps I should go down and wave cash in his face, 6 hour drive though.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, it's a little steep... he did a kitchen renovation job and traded the car for the job and i guess didn't really know what he could get for it. So he cleaned the car nicely and sticking his guns to $2400. I just sold my car for $2400 and I'll have to pay $300 up for title and transfer, rental car... it's pricey for the year.

He's meeting me half way on the road, so at least I save some gas money. I just want him to come down a couple hundred dollars and I'll be happy. He's not willing to though, he claims that the car is in mint condition, but it's going to need work. I can do the work myself, but still.

He's just trying to sell me the car, first said it had the timing belt and water pump done and then said his mechanic said that the timing belt only needs doing at 140k, which is wrong. I told him...

Well... it's the 1.8 engine FWD. It's what I want, in the color I want, just a few things I don't like is the price, abs brakes and no cruise. But I could live with that. I already asked him to come down twice, perhaps I should go down and wave cash in his face, 6 hour drive though.

Thanks for the replies.

His mechanic is wrong. Timing belts need replacing well before 140K miles. Someone will chime in here as to what Subaru recommends for a 93.

Having read what others have posted, $2,400 seems high for a 93, especially needing a Tbelt, and prolly tensioner, and pulleys. If it were me, I would offer somewhere around $1,800, because of the work that needs to be done. Your offer will prolly initially not be accepted, but it is unlikely anyone will buy the car for $2,400, so owner will likely get back to you with a lower negotiable price. Just be sure to leave your name and number with the seller.

Im pretty sure timing belt/water pump needs to be done at 105,000 miles...

That is REALLY expensive for a 1993 FWD EJ18. My friend paid 1800 for his 1995 EJ18, 5 speed with about 123K miles.

2K would be a decent price as its really clean... But Id think you can find a nicer one if you kept looking...

Last time I researched this was 5 years ago when a friend in Portland asked me to look at a '93 AWD sedan in the Seattle area. Asking price was $2100; seller didn't know it had a salvage title; my friend bought it for $1800. This was an AWD, 1.8L engine with a 5MT. Salvage title had been issued 6 years earlier and didn't really make any difference in the condition of the car. My friend is still driving it today; it's been as reliable as one would expect for an older car. Virtually no repairs other than routine service.

I agree with the majority of the group here that $2400 is too high a price; especially for a FWD model. It would even have been too high for an AWD version. Also, a Florida car; watch out for water damage from flooding.

Lastly, I wouldn't drive 6 hours one way just to look at this car.

Oh, and timing belt interval on the '93 models was 60K. Fortunately it's a non interference engine.

every 60k is what i have heard for when you change the belts. it took me three months of searching to find my legacy i paid $950 for my 90 legacy awd 211k all the features very clean except i didn't notice the head gasket problem till later on. just keep looking and you will find a better deal

Edited by mikaleda

60K is the timing belt interval although years also play into the equation i.e. you couldn't let a car sit for 20 years in a garage even if it was undriven and not expect the belt to dry rot right off that buggy!

If you are not comfortable with the price don't drive down there 6 hours. You'll seem too anxious and needy and you'll never get a date acting like that!

Make the seller a firm offer that you are comfortable with and then tell him to call you back if he is interested.

Good luck.

Edited by brus brother

I have a 1.8 FWD and they are tough. I've put 35k on mine(now at 170k) and I flog it regularly. Not very powerful but its fuel efficient. Being that clean and from Florida it is probably worth $1600-$1800. I wouldn't worry about the no ABS part all that much. Between rear drums(I am assuming it has them) and the smaller front brakes you will find that its just fine.

Subaru officially recommends 105k or 7 years!

If this car has not had a timing belt done then it is well past due. That being said, the 1.8L motor was not interference so you can just drive the car until it breaks and then replace it and not worry about engine damange. However you will need to tow the car to where ever you are going to work on it.

I think the car is a bit over priced especially without AWD. The AWD's manuals are super fun to drive. With the default 50/50 split they feel like driving a RWD car.

I own a 93 Legacy but its 2WD Auto. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about swapping it to AWD w/stick.