Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So we are going to be going to Idaho in a couple weeks, and want to take the pita... I feel the car is going to be sturdy and run forever now, but.... I was thinking of signing up for AAA for a month, just so we have it for the trip incase something goes wrong near the intersection of bum f#ck nowhere and the middle of nowhere Washington....

Do you guys think this would be worth it to have 'just in case'?

My wife and 6 month old son is going with, so I really wouldnt want all of us to be stranded in say Starbuck, Wa.

Nothing against the town if you live there... Its just proly not known for its subaru repair shops or any repair shops actually...

What do ya think????

most insurance policies have a towing option. If that's the main issue, and you aren't interested in other AAA services, you could just get towing.

i always research dealership locations along my route in case I need help. I actually prepare and keep in the car a coupla pocket folders, one with 'emergency' info - hospitals, dealerships, contact numbers etc. , and one with attractions, restaurants, maps, etc.

I often use tripadvisor or yelp w'ever to find places to eat, things to do, places to stay. Don't always use everything I've researched (only had to use a medical clinic once) but, you can only take so much Cracker Barrel.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I have had AAA for years. I really like it, and use it fairly regularly.

The basic package covers hookup and the first 5 miles of a tow, which is usually enough to get you to repair shop, but if you want to bring it home, or specify exactly where it's going, it's worth bumping up to a higher package for the 100 mile tow. 

i bought it for my wife so she would drive one of my ''rescue'' subarus.

and so she would call me and say ''please come get me''.

now when she calls i say , call AAA.

i bought the plus coverage for 100 mile towing.

i used it to tow / carry a just purchased H6 with a bad trans home.

the first time she needed it she broke down 3 hours from home in the very first road trip in recently purchased 00 lego wagon with 85k miles.

but she was not able to use it due to her spilling coffee on BOTH of her cell phones.

the up side, she could not call and complain to me either.

she was one HOT mama, walking down the interstate, late for her out of town meeting, in shoes that were not designed for walking,

turning down rides from scuzzy looking guys, probably in subarus.

LOL!! John, you guys sound like you have about the same kinda relationship my wife and I have! wife-my brakes on my truck need changed!! me-I just did them last year... wife-do them again!!

LOL!! Arent they great... We could just get a divorce, but those can turn up costing more than just keeping her....

Noooo, I love my wife, she puts up with me, I put up with her.

So it does sound like it might be worth picking up the aaa+ or what ever the upgraded deal is they do (I looked at it 5 minutes ago, and dont remember...)

That would proly get us taken care of if something simple goes wrong with it.

Have a friend on a fly fishing forum that blew his hg on his subaru on I90 in the middle of bfe, towed it to a small town in spokane, gave the tow shop the car after finding out it was the hg and would take a while to fix, called the spokane subaru dealer and just bought a new car, lol.

I do not have the money for something like that, but I could get my family to a safe place at least until a friend could come tow us back home.

I have it and I'm glad I do. I have broken down in the middle if nowhere and they still managed

to send someone out to tow me. I've also just used the tow to bring a non running car from one place to another. I find the other services convenient too (if your battery goes kaput they'll even bring you a new one...a nice feature if you don't have another vehicle or jump or friend to go get one yourself in a timely manner).

Edited by belacane

I have had the premium for as long as it's been nice.  Thay are also great at title work.

I have a ocllection of antiques and the 100 mile towing has come in handy several times for my "modern " vehjicles.

It's less than 100.00.

Bw aware they are stingy and want to send a tow truck and not a flatbed.  So you gotta tell them 2 flat tires no matter what is wrong.  I'd like to think they might realize a SUbaru is AWD but they aren't always the smartest bunch.  I'm parting a VW diesel now the towing folks broke the pan on - a very common issue on MKIV VW's.

They have other services, lockout, jump, etc.

But one tow and it's paid for itself.  If you don't ge the premium the tow is like 5 miles then they start charging mileage.

They even have like membership discounts at places.  A little newspaper they send with hteir trips, etc.

But 100 mile free tow adn title work done right at reduced rates are worth the membership IMO.

FYI: i just got my renewal notice, AAA plus (100 mile towing) = $114 for my wife, and $70 to add me, per year.

Mine was 82.00 for Platinum renewal.  With the 100 mile towing.

I've already used one tow getting a car with a broken timing belt that I bought towed.  It was in a difficult place to load onto my tow dolly or trailer with the winch.

I've had it for years - maybe that's why it's cheaper, or due to the part of the country?

Ive had AAA longer then I have been alive (inherited my fathers AAA when he died, go figure). I have the plus. Great peace of mind, and man, the last time I used them they were there fast. A saturday night, lost my (Justy) key in a NYC Taxi. The guy showed up in less then an hour, made me two keys in 15 minutes. That was the first time I used them in many years. I wish they would stop sending me all the credit card offers though.

Used to get TripTiks and used their services a few times decades ago, but, they were not able to help my family once in northern new mexico when we were having illness and car trouble, plus, we had 'issues' with a AAA rated motel in Colorado once.

Anecdotal i know but, with the advent of mapquest - then navigation and other personal electronics, plus getting towing added to your insurance, just not sure AAA is worth it. Many of the services they used to offer, are easily duplicated with tripadvisor, google, yelp, and other free services on the intertubes.

ymmv

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I had AAA coverage for years when I was younger and lived in the PacNW. Haven't had it for some years now. It's a LOT more expensive in this part of the country. As luckytex says, the towing itself if very frequently a whole lot cheaper through your insurance company. I do, or did, really like the TripTiks, but those aren't nearly so 'free' or easy to get in this part of the country any more. Plus, bikes or RVs are a surcharge, at least here. So, I buy a membership in the American Motorcyclist Association. It offers largely the same benefits at about 1/3 the cost, for me.

I think Starbuck is a really pretty area. :)