Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reasons not to "EJ it"

... They do make performance parts for ea81's but they're meant for air craft use.

This includes intakes, heads, and superchargershttp://www.flygas.info/en/subaru-ea81-cylinder-head.htm ...

The same company on your web link, also did especial DOHC Heads,

to turn any EA82 block onto a 16 Valve Monster, as you can see on my thread.

Here's the web link: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1115736

Click the link above and scroll down, there's a Video of a Working DOHC 16 Valves EA82.

• Like 1

But a Factory Turbo EA81 is pretty Rare nowadays, and not easy to find certain replacement parts.

I know they're rare i had a hard time finding a distributor for one and a new 2 pulley water pump. I was about to modify a 85/86 ea82t distributor to work but a forum member helped me out and sold me one. They are rare but rare cars are worth money after years. The prices in the USA on Japanese imports from the 80's back keeps going up. The only hard to find parts for a ea81t is the heads that aren't cooked and some electric parts. If you don't mind going custom and aftermarket you can run them distributorless using a msd ignition system, custom fuel system, up grade all the outdated electronics. In 20 years a factory turbo brat will be over 50 years old and there will probably only be as many as the fingers on your right hand left.

• Like 1

Jono, I know how to correct for speedometer errors. Would they not be the same for the odometer? I have checked it for every set of tires I have installed so I would know how fast I was really going. When I calculate my mpg I also recalculate for the error. In the US the standard size for four wheel drive EA81 Subaru is a 185/70-13. GPS shows 60 mph at an indicated 54 mph with the 185/75-14 tires. I use 10 percent for correction. My last three tank average was mid 29's when corrected. I have had individual tanks of gas to average over 30mpg but that is not typical, with a record high just over 31 mpg. The high was with the 195/70-13 tires. I blame rotating mass of the steel Peugeot rims and bigger heavier tires for making 30 mpg a little harder to achieve.

• Like 2

Some ideas I've read about, added to what we already know to improve your ea81/2 output-

Raise CR to over 9.2:1

Larger valve heads

Camshaft grind

Twin carbs using Ram performance flanges seen on their web site (under parts)

8mm leads

Engine balance

Increase timing

Supercharger

Turbo charger

Higher voltage coil

Weber 32/36 carbie

slightly larger exhaust Added

180F thermostat.  Added

Other ideas that could help

iridium (edited) spark plugs

Twin spark?

Wasted spark technology

Programmable ignition

EA82 or SPFI manifold

How am I going?

Edited by tweety

Free flowing exhaust, just don't go too big. I like the 2" I have from the Y pipe back. A lower thermostat will help a tiny bit, especially since coolant runs through the manifold heating the air mixture up. I guess you meant Iridium sparkplugs?? They make no more power than plain, just last longer. Don't know if they use ethanol laced gasoline down under but they sure use it here in the USA. Pure gas will have near 3% more energy than 10% ethanol gas. I have a source for pure regular gas and that is all my Brat gets!

Thanks Bratman2.  We have 91, 95 and 98 but I'm aware those figure don't reflect US figures.  Some stations have ethanol but it isn't widely used so hit and miss affair.

My trike exhaust has two pipes from heads 300mm long where there is a cross over pipe to the other exhaust. Then both continue on to a good quiet muffler each side. Then 4 feet later they go straight out two pipes each side. I did have motorcycle baffles in each of the 4 tips but did away with those as I think they were too restrictive.

I run a 82 degree C thermo = 180 degree F suits me as the thermo fan switch comes on at 88C which is only in really hot weather in traffic only. Ideal

I'll add these ideas to my list above. thanx

Edited by tweety

I'm aware the SPFI manifold is 6mm more diameter than the stick ea81. The ea82 is likely a little less diameter than the SPFI but I've never measured the ea82 manifold so am unsure. Having said that, manifolds are a strange beast. Larger might not be better for power. all to do with turbulence I think. But I'd suggest some common sense here.

The ea81 stock manifold was designed for the Hitachi carb. The ea82 was the same but a larger manifold it was. Then the SPFI manifold suitable for the throttle body. I cant see why there wouldn't be some small gains from placing the weber 32/36 on a ea82 or SPFI manifold considering it is a slightly larger carbie than the hitachi anyway.

bratman - good to read corrected mpg figs - so a true reading :)

The EDIS system could be quite OK with carby, no need to go fuel injection as well, until tempted :)

Some dudes were using a US Ford module with their EDIS set ups rather than an aftermarket DIY kit.

Be nice though if a stupid iphone could be apped to program the ignition curve so if suddenly something drops out, plug phone in, or find a wunder kid, complete with phone and ability and be back on the road .. hang programming via phone ... an app in a phone to run it would be great use for old iphones !! 

• Like 1

If you want more power for off-roading, hilly terrain, then we're always going to admit on here that an EJ is better. Subaru did do a leap from the 70s to the 90s going from the EA to the EJ.

My project wagon started with a carb EA82 & 3spd auto which I convinced the wrecker to remove & keep when I bought the car (the easiest $700 I've ever made, no way that combo is worth that, even 10 years ago).

The plan was to fit an EJ20T & 5 spd from a 93 WRX. I had it in the engine bay complete with 5 stud brakes, but changing of jobs & needing to provide my own car with no time to complete the car meant that this stopped.

I bought a 1997 2L turbo AWD Toyota (Caldina GTT) 5spd. Having also previously owned a 93 Legacy GT auto wagon (after writing off my EA82T wagon), the Subaru EJ motor is crap compared to offerings of the same capacity from other manufacturers. The lack of low down torque is huge.

My project car then got an NA MPFI EA82, but I've since sourced a low mileage Spider manifold EA82T, and I decided to keep my car as original period Subaru (not original factory spec though) as possible. My only concessions are using Honda calipers on the rear to have a rear handbrake (though I may go back), and an early Legacy water-air intercooler for increased engine protection.

I think it's each to their own.

My wedding car was a modified (hot-rodded) 68 Toyota crown wagon with a Supra turbo engine. Stock original ones are getting sought after, but not as much as this one.

A mate has one of only 3 XT6s in Aus. He's had no end of trouble with the car is now contemplating dropping in the EJ20T he got off me.

Edited by wagonist
  • Like 1

The little things I have done on my EA81 have improved the drivability greatly. For instance, when you turn in my drive. You are entering a right hand slightly banked turn My driveway is on the left at the end of the curve. To make this turn it would buck a little in second when I first got the Brat. This was after a good tune up. I actually had started turning into the driveway with the clutch in coming to a stop and shifting into first to prevent the shuddering/slight buck. After the 2" exhaust and Webber it strolls right through the turn in second as smooth as you could ever want. So my theory is I have a decent increase in bottom in performance that is usable for everyday driving. Any gain made at redline is of no use to me.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Not to dig up an old topic, but I found this while looking for an EA82T solution (lighting it on fire sounds like my best option so far).
Alas, I digress.
I decided to build an EA81 rather than EJ because of readily available parts and less work. I had an entire EJ22 car sitting, waiting for a donor swap sans engine rebuild.
My biggest factor for not going EJ: cost (adapter plate), secondary reasons: wiring nightmare (merging harnesses), troubleshooting ease, simplicity (no timing belts), torque (I'm sorry, but the EJ22 just doesn't have that same low end growling feel an EA81 does) and noise (EA81's just sound vicious to me).
So I built my EA81 to be the torquey beast it is.
My combustion chamber went from stock, to just the cavity inside the head, with the addition of my EA71 Pistons and the shaving of the block and the head. .020" off the block and .010" off the head, and that head cavity is all the combustion chamber I have left.
Anyone have a loose EA81 head they want to measure the total capacity of for compression ratio calculations? :P
I'm probably over 10:1 and possibly pushing 11:1 with my setup.
@Carfreak85, you got any math on compression ratios to play with?

Twitch

Hopefully I've made it clear that I have a huge amount of respect for people doing something different.

..., torque (I'm sorry, but the EJ22 just doesn't have that same low end growling feel an EA81 does)...

But I have to argue this point. I don't believe for a second that stock-for-stock an EA81 has more torque at any point in the range than an EJ22. And if you hopped up an EJ22 to 10:1 or more...it'd be a monster.

Hopefully I've made it clear that I have a huge amount of respect for people doing something different.

But I have to argue this point. I don't believe for a second that stock-for-stock an EA81 has more torque at any point in the range than an EJ22. And if you hopped up an EJ22 to 10:1 or more...it'd be a monster.

I'm not saying stock vs stock the EA81 has more torque, I'm saying the torque band feels different, better in some ways, from an EA81 to an EJ22.

With any EJ I've ever driven, if you lean into the throttle at a very low RPM (1500 or less) and a higher gear (3rd-5th) you're greeted with a bit of a sputter and no real pull. With every EA81 I've driven (properly running at least) at 1500 RPM and a taller gear, you lean into the throttle and you get a guttural growl from the engine bay, a resonation throughout the car and a slow but determined increase in RPM and speed.

So while the performance between the two engines on paper may say the EJ should out-do the EA81, the in car feel is just more pleasing, to me at least. No doubt if you built an EJ22 the way I built my EA81 you could make some serious torque and grunt while keeping your top end, but it just wouldn't feel the same.

Twitch

Twitch - you say you used EA71 pistons - new or previously used? Non factory pistons available have ben what I call compromise as they are marked to suit all three EA NA carb applications 71.81 and 82

I have been tempted to bodgey up an EA81 block with used EA82T pistons, turbo it and see what results :)

having recently gone back into my Brumby for a short time fitted with EA82 carb block, mpfi heads and inlet manifold just so impressed at its longer, wider torque band compared to my cammed and std cam EA81's. Throw the spider inlet on and it became just a little more of a torque monster.

I am almost thinking I need not do my long intended EA82T conversion ! I have enough bits about to try an mpfi short block, mpfi heads and std inlet manifold to see if it goes any different - just need to clean up some heads and order a timing belt kit. There is a theory mpfi pistons give better comp than carb in the EA82s

Maybe if I had a drive of an EJ in an EA81 body I may be swayed though :)

Edited by jono

Twitch - you say you used EA71 pistons - new or previously used? Non factory pistons available have ben what I call compromise as they are marked to suit all three EA NA carb applications 71.81 and 82

I have been tempted to bodgey up an EA81 block with used EA82T pistons, turbo it and see what results :)

The EA71 Pistons I got were brand spanking new ITM Pistons, spec'd to all EA71's and EU and AU spec EA81's.

RY2666 is the part number if memory serves.

Yep RY2666 ITM brand. Can be found on Rockauto, USDM EA71 pistons.

Twitch

• Like 1

!! Interesting to see that a USDM EA71 piston sounds to be same as AUDM EA81 piston !!

Wagonist - you forgot to add space to the time and money wish list :)

I would like to hear from anyone aside from Ivan who has EJ'd their EA81 or EA82 by shoving in the famed EJ pistons and getting a whole lot more go outta it. Discusion was something like EJ 20 NA slugs and machine the EA con rod little end to take the EJ gudgeon pin. Might make EA82 a valve breaker if the belt slips/breaks though ?