Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru warns customers to stop driving certain cars IMMEDIATELY

http://pix11.com/2016/05/13/subaru-issues-recall-warns-owners-to-stop-driving-now/

OK it only involves certain 2016-17 models manufactured after Feb of this year so likely not many cheapo beater drivers on USMB affected BUT the warning says stop driving immediately. Don't even drive to dealer. They will come to you. Sounds pretty serious. Steering column failure Legacy and OBs. Ooops!

Edited by brus brother

What a shame that Subaru has gone so far down hill from 20 years ago. It would be interesting to see what country they were built in because it seems like the cars built here in the states have bad quality control.

Quick google search shows the cars in question were built in the USA.

http://www.stanleysubaru.com/blog/2013/may/8/where-are-subarus-built-where-is-the-subaru-impreza-built.htm

• Like 1

What a shame that Subaru has gone so far down hill from 20 years ago. It would be interesting to see what country they were built in because it seems like the cars built here in the states have bad quality control.

Quick google search shows the cars in question were built in the USA.

http://www.stanleysubaru.com/blog/2013/may/8/where-are-subarus-built-where-is-the-subaru-impreza-built.htm

Disagree that cars assembled in Indiana have bad quality control. Not long ago, I took a tour through the Subaru assembly plant, and was impressed with the assembly process. Everything was so well organized, and it appeared to me that the workers really care about producing a quality product. The place is so clean, you could eat off the floor. My guess is the recall has to do with a component problem, not an assembly problem.

• Like 2

Gentlemen,

We can't assume that this issue was a fault of Subaru. A lot of the parts of Subies are manufactured in Japan and Mexico. It highly possible that the part in question was made by a parts supplier who screwed up, and not the parent company.

No company that makes a product with 35 000 parts can have a 100% reliability all of the time, when the suppliers let you down. Take the recent air bag defects that Takata caused for Honda and other manufacturers.

Consumer reports lists Subaru as one of the most reliable makes sold in North America, and has for several years. When Subaru falls from their list of best buys, then maybe its time to do some criticizing and jump ship. Then you could buy, say a Chrysler or a Jeep, who both happen to be the worst reliable vehicles on the road. Do a Google search for "The Best used cars to buy", and then for "The 25 Worst Used car Buys", and then try the same searches through Consumer Reports. Its eye opening to say the least.

• Like 1

Agreed. These are man made creations and failure is an option due in part to many variables and some are external to SOA's assembly.

Take a look around you at mankind (creations of God). If you look at those failures you would think that He was an underachiever ;-)

SOA takes ownership of the problem and remedies it.

My 05 and 08 were part of the Tekata airbag recall. My dealer put me on a list and as soon as parts became available, called me and even gave me a loaner while they kept each car for the few hours it took to repair. Considering the many millions of cars involved in the recall, I am pretty satisfied with their level of service.

I saw this recall on the TV news the other night.

The story about the 2016 Legacy recall aired just before a commercial break.

A few seconds later, the first ad came on the TV; guess what? it was an ad extolling the virtues of the 2016 Legacy.

Talk about bad timing!

• 4 months later...

sorry - OFF TOPIC - airbag related post.

I was recently at a dealership (*gasp*) and when I was leaving, the service guy and the cashier lady both volunteered some interesting info. They saw that I had 2 cars affected by the recall - they said Subaru will pay for Enterprise rental cars so I can park my 'dangerous' cars. There's 2 ways they do it. I can park the car at the dealership (they hinted that it was a bad idea but, since they said they already have TWENTY FIVE CARS STORED THERE (!) I think they are low on space) or, I can park the car at my house, sign a piece of paper promising not to drive it, and drive a rental until parts are available.

If you have the dealership keep the car, they have ZERO responsibility for it - theft, fire, damage etc. And, they aren't going to start it or top-off the battery. If you keep it at home, you could idle it every week or 2 at least.

I haven't decided if I'm going to pursue that or not.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I'd say they've done pretty well to have identified the problem already and issued a recall for it when it only affects 50k vehicles, rather than extending to several hundred thousand or more as with other manufacturers.

And Texan, don't let your vehicle sit on a dealers lot for any more time than what's absolutely necessary. The service contract you sign when you give them permission to work on the car says it in the fine print that they're not liable for ANY loss due to accident, theft, fire, or any kind of disaster, among other things.

I was recently at a dealership (*gasp*) and when I was leaving, the service guy and the cashier lady both volunteered some interesting info. They saw that I had 2 cars affected by the recall - they said Subaru will pay for Enterprise rental cars so I can park my 'dangerous' cars. There's 2 ways they do it. I can park the car at the dealership (they hinted that it was a bad idea but, since they said they already have TWENTY FIVE CARS STORED THERE (!) I think they are low on space) or, I can park the car at my house, sign a piece of paper promising not to drive it, and drive a rental until parts are available.

If you have the dealership keep the car, they have ZERO responsibility for it - theft, fire, damage etc. And, they aren't going to start it or top-off the battery. If you keep it at home, you could idle it every week or 2 at least.

I haven't decided if I'm going to pursue that or not.

Which recall is this? I don't think we currently have any open recalls like that. The only one that we can't get parts for is the Takata airbag fiasco, which is passenger side only. It's still safe to drive the car, just don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat.

Yes, they made a big deal of the steering column issue, but relatively low volume, and with cars that are less than a year old, it was easy to get in touch with the owners. I think we had them all done in a few weeks once we got parts. Also, AFAIK they never actually had one fail. This was entirely preventative.

Which recall is this? I don't think we currently have any open recalls like that. The only one that we can't get parts for is the Takata airbag fiasco, which is passenger side only. It's still safe to drive the car, just don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat.

Yes, they made a big deal of the steering column issue, but relatively low volume, and with cars that are less than a year old, it was easy to get in touch with the owners. I think we had them all done in a few weeks once we got parts. Also, AFAIK they never actually had one fail. This was entirely preventative.

Airbag - suppose you DO have a passenger? I guess they are parking the their cars and driving the Subaru-funded rentals. My wife's car has a passenger much of the time - they 'could' be told to get in the back seat....but we will have 4-5 people in it at Xmas time.

I suppose 'soccer moms' that have the car loaded, or big families need it? And, are there no cars with driver airbags that have problems?

I have no real details, just what they said.

I'm not challenging you, just curious. I work in parts, so I have some information, but certainly not everything. I was mostly thrown off because this thread was originally started about the 2016 Legacy/Outback steering column recall, which SOA made a huge deal about having us track these cars down, telling the customer to stop driving IMMEDIATELY and get them inspected. Rental cars were issued immediately, a few techs spent a whole day driving out to a customer's home to inspect their car, and many cars were towed in. All totally understandable in that they were concerned about the steering column failing....while a passenger airbag is certainly a concern, with 4 seats (counting the rear center) in the car safe to use, it's not nearly as urgent as a steering column issue.

And no, Subaru has no driver's side airbag recalls right now. Other manufacturers, mostly Honda IIRC, do. 

Edited by Numbchux

It's easy to get spooked when a product recall is in place or a major failure has been identified and the vehicle is rendered not safe to drive by the manufacturer.  All vehicles fail but what's important to consider here is how Subaru has taken ownership of the situation and  offered repairs and even loaners without the customer base having to demand such treatment. 

Kudos to Subaru. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

dropped the Outback off for pass airbag replacement - they said it's a 3 hour job. Got a Forester for a loaner. Lots of unfamiliar electronics in the car.

Kinda disappointed that there's wind/road noise at the level there is, we have some moderate and gusty winds out of the north today, seemed to push the car around slightly - maybe adding to the wind noise. Expansion joints in a nearby road are transmitted thru somewhat harshly. Almost as bad as when I tried polyurethane bushings on the Outback's lower control arms.

tight steering seems nice, peppy drivetrain doesn't really sound or behave 'weird' at all to me.  kinda bouncy/busy ride, maybe a little more body roll than I expected - but only 850 miles on the unit, might settle-in a little more?

Sight-lines kinda busy too with the little triangle at the front of the windows and rear seat headrests, rearview mirror seems oddly shaped for the actual view available?   - all that would probably be easily accommodated after a week or 2. Just 'unfamiliar car' type stuff I guess.

nitpicking I guess but, really, was expecting a car that feels more 'advanced' than the 03 Outback.

dropped the Outback off for pass airbag replacement - they said it's a 3 hour job. Got a Forester for a loaner. Lots of unfamiliar electronics in the car.

Kinda disappointed that there's wind/road noise at the level there is, we have some moderate and gusty winds out of the north today, seemed to push the car around slightly - maybe adding to the wind noise. Expansion joints in a nearby road are transmitted thru somewhat harshly. Almost as bad as when I tried polyurethane bushings on the Outback's lower control arms.

tight steering seems nice, peppy drivetrain doesn't really sound or behave 'weird' at all to me.  kinda bouncy/busy ride, maybe a little more body roll than I expected - but only 850 miles on the unit, might settle-in a little more?

Sight-lines kinda busy too with the little triangle at the front of the windows and rear seat headrests, rearview mirror seems oddly shaped for the actual view available?   - all that would probably be easily accommodated after a week or 2. Just 'unfamiliar car' type stuff I guess.

nitpicking I guess but, really, was expecting a car that feels more 'advanced' than the 03 Outback.

When we bought our '16 Outback Limited we test drove the Forester first and felt the same way. The quality of materials, design, ride quality, and tech in the Outback just seemed way beyond the Forester and for an extra 3k it was no-brainer.