Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Insanity

opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one - some stink.. mmm kay?

sure, anyone could swap for an EJ series..

but why not work with what you have? its not a waste of time to me..

ive got a damn block in half in my kitchen, you wont think its a waste when im done :)

Sorry I'd have to say yours stinks more :(

Actualy not many ppl CAN do EJ swaps into L series.

Work with what you got? That's the whole point; the EA82 dont have jack* to begin with. Time is going to be the least amount of cost in this fantasy. Much money will be needed on these killer heads, intake, cams, pistons, turbo, exhuast, fuel delivery, etc. REQUIRED to acheive 200+ HP out of an EA82.

Even with those fancy parts youll be hard pressed for 200+ HP. Aviation engines dont even put out 200+ HP to the CRANK.

Good luck and I'll belive it when I see the dyno print outs.

Sorry I'd have to say yours stinks more :(

Actualy not many ppl CAN do EJ swaps into L series.

Work with what you got? That's the whole point; the EA82 dont have jack* to begin with. Time is going to be the least amount of cost in this fantasy. Much money will be needed on these killer heads, intake, cams, pistons, turbo, exhuast, fuel delivery, etc. REQUIRED to acheive 200+ HP out of an EA82.

Even with those fancy parts youll be hard pressed for 200+ HP. Aviation engines dont even put out 200+ HP to the CRANK.

Good luck and I'll belive it when I see the dyno print outs.

you sir have absolutely ZERO faith in theese little motors..

im just gonna forget you own one ;)

you would understand the potential IF you had a turbocharged one...

i dont understand why everyone thinks of theese lil cars as "dogs"

with my VERY minimal mods, i can tell you that my car is not weak, at all..

ive owned several non turbo scoobs, and yes - they are dogs.. not the case with the turbo version ..

you shouldnt hate on your own kind, thats like cannibilism..

EA82 has PLENTY to start with.

Closed deck.

Medium cast method block. (grid pattern on block idicates so, along with closed deck, that is the sign that the block features both)

The block is tough. Ofcourse its not as tough as the EJ207, EJ20G, EJ22G, EJ257....but its still good for 300 or so.

Again, the magic recipe for 230-300 hp at the crank.....

Delta cams, either 260 or 272.

Header.

TBE.

Either stock turbo for around 210 hp...or for more power, TD04 or larger.

Spyderintake, either with the stock TB, or the XT6 TB fitted and the intake port ported out to accomodate the larger TB.

Tweaking the timing, run 93 fuel at all times.

Synthetic oil, mobil 1, to keep the enigne alive. Oil cooler is a plus.

Keep the coolant cool....use a large core radiator.

Make sure stock fuel system is clean and fully 100% operational. Stock parts should be good for anything we need....up to 17 PSI, I stongly believe the stock system can handle 17.

The cone filter bolted on the MAF/Air Flow Meter.

WRX/STi top mount IC, or some other form of IC.

Key to air moving in and out of the engine: Smooth flow. Everything need to be smooth and high volume. Stock heads should be fine for 250+ hp. I dont think we can get more than 310 out of them...not enough flow at that point me thinks.

Head gasket issue....TQ the head down about 10 lbs more with stock stuff. ive done it, it works. Head bolt studs would be great....stock OE turbo head gaskets from the dealer SHOULD BE USED....copper could be, but I did not have success....but that was my own fault...I did not use proper TQ, proper sealer, and the heads were warped a little too much out of tolorance.

There you go, all fo WJM Rallye Sport's secrets for lots of power from the EA82T

Yes, the EA engines can make large power over stock. Just need to have the proper parts....and yes, on stock internals. More limitaitions on the pre EA82, and on the EA82 SPFI/Carb due to restricted intake flow into the head...the MPFI and Turbo are 200% better due to two ports for intake. The exhaust is just fine...the HEADER is the KEY for the exhaust....along with the TBE as well.

Everyone who thinks 200+ hp from an EA82T is BS, ya'll can shove it. im tired of arguing over it. If I had the little bit of $ it takes to get the TWE header and DP (or if had pipes to bent and weld) and get the cams, and time to do the intake mod on the spyder....id dyno it and we all would see whats really what.

If you went and baught all the parts....and already had the engine...you could do this with a $2000 budget. I already have most of the parts. i dont have a larger turbo, or the header and TBE and cams. Ive got everything else.

Again, its possible to be done with out large $ spending, and special fabrication processes.

I don’t like where this one is headed, so before is gets to name calling (not sure that it hasn’t already :-\ ), I’d like to interject a point that is true here and just about everywhere else.

There is more than one “right way”, what’s best for you is most likely not best for all.

As for the argument at hand, its all about what YOU want to do. Some people would wonder why any of us spend a minute messing around with these old crummy little disposable import, if you want to off raod buy a jeep, if you want a sportscar get a Porsche... BS justifying logic aside, its because we want to, weather it makes since to anyone else or not.

Armchair philosopher

Gary

i want to take my loyale and drop a 350 V8 in it i think it would be possible. also make it rear wheel drive and put some huge tires on it make it all chevy running gear. that would be cool. maybe supercharge it and get about 600 hp out of it. no one would now what hit them at a stop light. hehehehe that would be my kind of subaru. true it wouldn't be 100% subaru but it would be awesome dont get me wrong.

We all say "we'd love to see xx", but then when the outrageous idea of "xx" appears, we get those same people saying "nah, don't do it. it's a waste of time and money. do what everyone else has done and settle for xxx instead."

Well, some of us just want to do the crazy thing, and go for xx. I could put an EJ engine in the car, but how many times has that been done? enough for me to want something different - and I've opinioned the people I work with, other gear heads, that my idea is pretty cool, for the fact that it's a pushrod 1.8 planning on getting around the 200 mark, and that it's something different.

Different is good.

turbo justys, XT6-T, XT6-TT, EJ33-Ts, ect.

I think 200 hp from the EA82T with stock heads and block is very possible. Thats what I am trying to do this summer :brow: plus I am trying to keep it smog legal and reliable (which is hard enough to do with a completely stock EA82T). I bet we can even get 250 hp or more from it, but I think 300 hp is pushing the envelope with the stock heads. Put some custom heads that WJM is talking about and who knows what is possible. To get 300 hp would cost a lot of money. I would rather drop in a EJ engine before I have some custom heads made, but thats me. If you want to build some better heads, then go for it. I am already spending too much money as it is to reach 200 hp for a car that hasn't run since August 2003. I need to start saving money for graduate school.

I don't want to fan this fire any more, but I am very doubtful about this, but what do I know! Go For It! Heck, Maybe next winter I'll park the Subaru and ride the bus everywhere to see if it's possible! These are some great ideas and I think someone should run with them.

Just as a reference point, remember Paul Singers Supercharged XT6? No?

"Ok got the skinny from the dyno shop on the project supercharged xt-6

225 hp at 6000rpm

232 ft lbs of torque" From Yahoo XT6 board

I can't remember the amount of boost he had but it's not intercooled so I figured it can't be that high. These numbers are from the crank on a dyno stand.

I know from personal experience that my XT6 doesn't seem to take to just about any mods I throw at it.

Also, lets keep in mind that 'we' do not have to shoot for a hp/torque goal to reach a certain performance level. We can shoot for a certain power to weight ratio. 200hp/torque in a 2400lb scooby has the same performance as a 2000lb scooby with 167hp/torque. You can make a comprimise.

Another thing, you can 'cheat' if you like of course. Yes, you can and may break something but even if you don't reach your power-weight ratio, you can always add a bit of nitrous. I did this on my Outback Sport and with the turbo I had on it, it worked wonders. Just keep an eye on your EGTS and air/fuel ratio and keep your ignition retarded and in check and things may work out.

Just some ideas! I KNOW that I won't be reaching any goals on my XT6 just playing with hp/torque N/A. I'm thinking about the suspension, tires, weight, launching better, etc. Just hit at a bunch of approaches.

The one valve per cylinder does hurt...no doubt. I'm going to leave this one alone. :drunk:

Oh yeah...Dave of ProECM has his XT6 turbo'd and he's having a blast with it. He's already talking about hitting post 300hp before the summer ends. This makes me just want to let my XT6 go over a cliff and enjoy the turbo XT6 show. :lol:

...and don't forget there are several Australian Leones (i.e. RXs) I've read about running 18-20psi (with the appropriate supporting mods, of course) and the only damage I've read about them thus far is head gaskets blowing (that doesn't mean more damage isn't happening I just haven't personally read about it yet...lol).

Personally, I think these engines (particularly the EA82T) have far more potential in them than people give them credit for. As soon as I'm done getting my car running smoothly and get my 5-lug conversion done, it's time to see how much power this thing will take! muhahahaha :D

Well said Shane. Since i have figured out about 90% of what it takes to make these cars hook up on the tarmac, its time to work on the power plant now....since I am going to fine tune the other 10% since i won be driving on it anymore...

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire but I'm kinda MorganM on this one. I'm a pessimist anyways so. I didn't really think these care could put out because if they did, I thought by now we would've seen a lot of instances with people kicking booty in the 1/4 mile or having some really impressive dyno numbers. I haven't seen any of that.

On the flip side, TWE saying they can hang with stock WRXs is encouraging. But that's just talk. No timeslips, no dyno numbers. That bother's me. I get dyno numbers for pesky stuff. Heck, I just went to Home Depot today and picked out some 2" plumbing pipes that I'll be fiddling with on my XT6. I've been reading a lot about intake design and pulses going to and from the valves, air velocity and such. I just want to test this out with smaller intake tubing to see how it affects the powerband. I'll happily post up if I get it finished because as soon as I get it done, I'm off to the dyno.

I'd love to see more info (1/4 mile times, dyno slips, etc) of some of these kick arse EA82-Ts out there.

Well, as we posted a while back...9.5:1 pistons, open intake and exhaust....stock boost....put 99.2 hp to the ground, and a mostly stock 88 RX with 12 psi of boost put 88 to the ground.

Now...once I get my mods done...full intake stuffs, cams and full exhast stuffs, it will be dyno'ed and 1/8th mile'd for sure. Note: STOCK TURBO.

Pleiades has an RX with light exhaust mods, but with my intake and the Delta cams in it....dyno results are to come soon.....

My plans are...again....Spyder with XT6 TB on it, Stock WRX TMIC, stock turbo, a fabbed up AFM to Turbo pipe, Home made high flow (racing style) header and downpipe...3 inch pipe all the way back, no muffler or cats, until i find a 3 inch 3 way cat....ECU and ignition will remain stock....once I find a cost effective turbo upgrade, I will start messing with MS and DIS. Then the HP figures will really start increasing.