Ultimate Subaru Message Board

delta cams

just called delta cams in washington, and they couldnt tell me much.... he was like we do two, big one and a little one. said the big one is streetable, but didnt know much about what compression they recommend. i wanst sure if they sell the same one for the low comp carb one as the spfi. either way quoted 65 each with exchange. might have to do it soon. make them the day after you pay.

Delta Cams were good to me. I tihnk I talked ot Scott...i dont remember.

The small profile will not do well in SPFI. It will be almost like running stock cams, but you will notice that the high end is free'er beatheing, the 6000+ range.

The big one should be suitable for the N/A stuff to gain power.....i dont know of its streetability tho.

The small on is definatly streetable. For turbo, you WILL NOTICE gains from 3000 to when you let out of it. Ive driven one to 7500 and it still wanted to go more.

I am going to get the big cams for my GL-10 sometime soon....muhuhuhahah!

I have used them for EA81's. I believe the two cams are basically a small torque cam and a hotter horsepower cam.

There were different profiles for spfi, mpfi, turbo and carb. Very minor differences though. I know of a couple guys who have used known spfi cams in a carbed motor with good results.

I have had very pleasant experiences with Delta. They even stepped up as a small sponsor of our West Coast Subaru Show. If any of you do call them tell them you heard about them from me( Ken, the guy with the Brats and the coordinator of the Subaru show) and it may not get you a better deal but it will let them know we are letting people know about them and that we appreciate there work.

That sounds rather silly. Why is there a 'drag' cam for a wussed out EA82 N/A ?

It may sound wrong but unless you have tried it don't be too harsh. I thought that until I put one in an EA81. Trust me when I say it makes a night and day difference. Let's just say there are a few less Honda boys in my area looking to race the old Brat.:brow:

Thanks!!

It may sound wrong but unless you have tried it don't be too harsh. I thought that until I put one in an EA81. Trust me when I say it makes a night and day difference. Let's just say there are a few less Honda boys in my area looking to race the old Brat.

Thanks!!

I guess it just sounded from WJM's description that they really didnt add any more power till higher RPMs; which I really dont use often. From your description it sounds like you are enjoying gains from most of the RPM band. That's what I'm talk'n bout! :D I need a little more pep in my step for these tires.

I'll let Arch test them in his first and then I'll prolly get some :)

Now, again, try it your self, I know that I have NO CLUE what Delta cams do to an EA81.....but I know that on an EA82T, the small cams kick butt. On the EA82 SPFI, you dont notice any difference at all, except in the exhaust note, until you get up to about 5500, then it starts to pull harder. But again, the exhaust note is meaner thru the whole rev range.

just called delta cams in washington, and they couldnt tell me much.... he was like we do two, big one and a little one. said the big one is streetable, but didnt know much about what compression they recommend. i wanst sure if they sell the same one for the low comp carb one as the spfi. either way quoted 65 each with exchange. might have to do it soon. make them the day after you pay.
I've talked to WJM in PM off and on about the cams for N/A engines and he noticed the same thing as I. I have a set on my 1989 2.7ltr XT6. DeltaCamshaft stated it's the first one they did for the XT6 but it's the same cam grind as the N/A EA82 engines. I was told that I wouldn't lose any low end and I'd get some top end hp. I asked for a grind where if I'd lose some low end torque, I didn't mind but I wanted some more hp/torque *grunt* above 5300rpm (which is where my XT6 usually dies on the dyno). Here is the result:

mini-overall.jpg

The Red line is my stock cams. The Blue line is what I had right after a friend (Gary Gross) and I installed the Deltacams in the XT6. The Green line is what I got after playing with fuel enrichment and adding base timing as far as I could go (Disty was turned and maxed out). Notice the significant low end power loss but a small top end gain AFTER trying to tune it on the dyno.

It's still not tuned to where I'd like fuel wise but this is my experience after having the cams installed on an N/A ER27 engine (similar to EA82 N/A engine). Your experience may vary but you have something to go on. My mods are listed below.

Also, if you are looking for different profiles of cams people have, check out this thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11592&highlight=Deltacams

My camshaft profile is listed there as well. Take Care!

yeah methinkie the Turbowagon is going to get a set of gnarly cams when I have the engine apart :brow: I am going to feed some engine specs into Desktop Dyno 2000 and have it run a cam profile iteration to see what my best bet for a cam profile will be. I know I can't change the separation (or can I?) but I can change lift and duration right...... Does Delta regrind a stock core, or do they machine a blank to your specs?

Notice the significant low end power loss but a small top end gain AFTER trying to tune it on the dyno.

See that's kinda the exact oposite of what I would like. Could they grind a cam up that would give me more lowend at the sacrifice of high end performance? I guess I could just call them hehe

Thx for your insight on the NA cams, WJM and Myxalplyx.

---------

So I just called :)

He said they mostly do cams for higher end performance, but they can do up some cams for the EA82 NA that will yield gains for lowend power. He was willing to say UPTO 10 % gains achieved. Sounds like what I'm looking for :D Also said about $135 for the set if I sent mine in to be redone.

Peace