Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Letter to FHI

I have taken a shot in the dark and written a letter to FHI requesting that they resume making parts for the brat. Explaining to them how popular it still is and that there would be a market. I then just kept writing and suggested to them to reintroduce the brat in there model line up. I stated that even today it would be very popular in the US,AUS,NZ just to name a few. I also sent a photo shop work of art by baccaruda of a twin cab Brat with double T tops just to get them interested.Will keep you posted if I hear back. But as with alot of big corporations they will most likely throw the letter in the bin.(hope not)

Hell I'd write a letter! I'd send in some pics of some of the sickest BRATs we have here on the USMB and AUSubaru. Also mention to them how often the topic comes up "where to find parts for my BRAT?". Tough part might be that they got rid of all that old machinery and documentation. Most companies I've called ditch records after less than 10 years...

Where did you send it? More voices is better than one!

Dead on, they did bring it back and that is what you got. No car company in history has ever re-released an older model in it's original platform. Sure names and some styling cues get recycled such as the VW beetle and the Mini, but that is as close as you are going to get. Subaru has a much better strategy than it did when they killed the BRAT right as the SUV boom hit and introduced the SVX exactly as the luxury sportscar market took a dump. They did learn from those mistakes, but they are never going to take the step to re-introduce an out of production vehicle. I don't agree with it and I would love to see nothing more than new production BRATs. Look at a company like Chevy, immagine what they could earn by re-intrducing the 69 Camaro or the 57 Chevy in their original forms other than a modern engine/brakes/safety gear, but all original sheet metal, interior and trim. Think of how many money-bag 50 somethings would fork over the money for one. Way more of those than BRAT fanatics and Chevy doesn't do it.

Dead on, they did bring it back and that is what you got. No car company in history has ever re-released an older model in it's original platform. Sure names and some styling cues get recycled such as the VW beetle and the Mini, but that is as close as you are going to get. Subaru has a much better strategy than it did when they killed the BRAT right as the SUV boom hit and introduced the SVX exactly as the luxury sportscar market took a dump. They did learn from those mistakes, but they are never going to take the step to re-introduce an out of production vehicle. I don't agree with it and I would love to see nothing more than new production BRATs. Look at a company like Chevy, immagine what they could earn by re-intrducing the 69 Camaro or the 57 Chevy in their original forms other than a modern engine/brakes/safety gear, but all original sheet metal, interior and trim. Think of how many money-bag 50 somethings would fork over the money for one. Way more of those than BRAT fanatics and Chevy doesn't do it.
Yeah I hear you man. I wouldnt expect them to re-release the real BRAT any day. What about re-releasing parts for old Subarus tho? If they still had the capability that is; which I highly doubt :( Maybe if they saw there really is an aftermarket demand for older parts they might consider relleasing 'new' parts? A long shot to say the least... but writing a letter is easy and no loss to us. Hey maybe we could atleast get some real Subaru duders here on the USMB! Would be nice to have an official SUbaru engineer or something here :D

they will read it and say "stupid american crazyman!"

=]

it would be cool, but these cars were build as disposable transportation. peepl throw them away, and there are tons in the junkyard. thats as close as you will get =[

it sure would be cool to get a new factory distributor tho :headbang:

The idea here guys is to remain positive not negative. In fact Nissan reproduced an early 60s bluebird in the mid 90s as an example. As for the safety issues it would not be difficult to put in side intrusion bars and air bags if they were made from new again. Hey I know its a long shot but if you dont ask you'll never know the answer.As for the Baja its a totally different type of vehicle to the brat and I dont think you can put them in the same catagory, especially when the brat was a hit for Subaru and still is today.No more negative thoughts only positive ones and think it just could be posible and it might happen. If they got heaps of letters on this subject who knows what may do .(Have faith)

How ironic... Friday night, I sent an email to Subaru corporate when 2 local dealerships refused to sell me parts for my '78 Brat. My letter was the result of Todd encouraging me to complain to the powers-that-be!

I don't think we'll see too much, especially a reintroducton of the original Brat... (it has been deemed a product liability lawyer's nightmare) but at least they'll know we still exist and may get some cooperation for parts and service?!

We can only hope. Go for it... band together... the squeaky wheels get the oil?

E-mail message

Here was the response I got along with my original rant:

From: SOAMail@sun.subaru1.com Date: Tue, Sep 7, 2004, 12:53pm To: macazoo@verizon.net Subject: Re: Owners Story (E-mail #639610)

Dear Ms. Courtney:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your continued interest in Subaru products! We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We sincerely apologize for the difficulty you've encountered trying to locate parts for your 1978 Brat. It's not that we don't value the owners of our older vehicles. We are very proud of the fact that many older Subaru vehicles are still on the road. Our authorized Subaru dealers are the parts suppliers for Subaru products. Please contact the Parts Department at your local Subaru dealer to check on the cost and availability of the parts needed for your Subaru. We recommend that you only purchase parts specific to your model and model year.

Should you experience difficulty at your local Subaru dealer, please feel free to contact us again with your vehicle identification number, the parts / part numbers needed, and the name of the Subaru dealer involved. We will do our best to assist you further.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best Wishes,

Natalie Cox

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Services

E-Contact Group

----------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

I had a 1978 Subaru Brat until it rusted out sometime in the late 80's (my all-time favorite car). I also had a 1985 sedan and put a deposit on a 1995 (around there) Impreza (too small for our needs at the time) Anyway, I am having an awful time when I try to get parts for my newly acquired 1978 Subaru Brat. (Mostly being laughed at and ultimately told to go eleswhere, or to buy a new Subaru) I find this outrageous... why would I EVER buy a NEW Subaru for it's durability if I got treated this way getting parts for an old one? STOP bragging that the Baja is the NEW BRAT.... sorry guys.... doesn't come close. I am not the only one who is dissatisfied with older model parts procurement from your organization.... built to last... look at the mileage records... we need OEM parts at reasonable prices like the rebuilders charge.... you made your money... take the cores and be sure they're done right! Please give a reasonable explanation of why you abandoned your older vehicles.. Thanks,

Mary Courtney

This dip**** system wouldn't even accept my valid VIN Number says there are not enough digits!

Wow,

Your message to them was quite.... harsh. Not to take this thread slightly off topic but.... how many years were brats made? I've heard that they made turbo brats factory in the mid 80s, is that right? I donno, I mean I too love brats, but I really didn't think that they were that popular in their time. I totally agree that Subaru makes poor choices on release dates. You guys ever read up on the start of Subaru with the 360? Makes you wonder how Subaru ever survived in America at all.

Phil

for me I already have the letter I need to send to them made up cause of SOA told me that I had to write to FHI for any information on my 76 and also the EA-65 that is in it cause found out that the vin# indicates nadda to SOA and then to top that off the EA-65 is a non-US motor also and not even the original motor at that! but that was like 4 emails to SOA to get that figured out cause after the first reply I FLIPPED and did some caps lock on type sentences and they did respond alot nicer to me in the next reply back :grin:

As to manufacturing “new” Brats, there are some fundamental differences in car construction from 1980 to today, safety standards are the big roadblock. Meeting them would require a major redesign of just about everything under the outer sheet metal (read that BIG money), and the market would be very small. Would you pay $100,000+ for a new ’78 Brat… I thought not.

Note: Volkswagen when through this very process after being inundated with letters from air cooled Beetle fans who wanted new ones imported (they were still being built in Mexico at the time). Even with the large fan base for the old Beetle (MUCH larger than for old Subarus) it just didn’t add up, their solution… the New Beetle.

Gary

In fact Nissan reproduced an early 60s bluebird in the mid 90s as an example.

Let's not forget that a few years ago, Nissan resold some `71 240Z's in pristine condition as very special used cars... But there was more of a demand for that than there would be for a Brat I'm afraid...

I've always had really good luck with my Subaru dealer, they took a little extra time locating me a steering bellows for my XT, but that's pretty much it. They've always gotten the part somehow or another.

I think you will find with the new technology of today that it would not be that hard to bring the brat or any other older car to todays safety standards and not at a huge cost. I am in no dillusions as to the outcome of my letter but hey no harm in asking.As for the popularity of a 2nd generation brat(not the first model) I believe it would be extremely popular world wide and would fill a gap in the Subaru line up. They may even decide to go back to the drawing board and design a completely new brat that can do the same as the old one but not rust out. As for the price, I don't know where you got 100,000 from it would have to be gold plated for that price. Anyway just doing my thing letting Subaru and other people know how I feel about SUBs and there's no harm in that. I say think positive and things can happen.

As to manufacturing “new” Brats, there are some fundamental differences in car construction from 1980 to today, safety standards are the big roadblock. Meeting them would require a major redesign of just about everything under the outer sheet metal (read that BIG money), and the market would be very small. Would you pay $100,000+ for a new ’78 Brat… I thought not.

Note: Volkswagen when through this very process after being inundated with letters from air cooled Beetle fans who wanted new ones imported (they were still being built in Mexico at the time). Even with the large fan base for the old Beetle (MUCH larger than for old Subarus) it just didn’t add up, their solution… the New Beetle.

Gary

Wow,

Your message to them was quite.... harsh. Not to take this thread slightly off topic but.... how many years were brats made? I've heard that they made turbo brats factory in the mid 80s, is that right? I donno, I mean I too love brats, but I really didn't think that they were that popular in their time. I totally agree that Subaru makes poor choices on release dates. You guys ever read up on the start of Subaru with the 360? Makes you wonder how Subaru ever survived in America at all.

Phil

Here is a website you can find some interesting stats about Subarus:

http://www.cars101.com/oldsubaru.html

My message was no where near as harsh as I would have liked... especially when their system wouldn't accept my VIN as valid. My local dealership ordered a gas tank for me (he said it could take a month to 6 weeks to get it in). That was ok because we had a lot of interior work to do while waiting. Well, it took Subaru ONE MONTH to tell him they were unavailable. After that, he refused to even look for any more parts because the car was too old and told me to look elsewhere.