Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can you turn off daytime running lights?

look in the mirror. who asked anyone of you your opinion on whether i should turn them off or not. mind your own business. so they can't be turned off. fine. leave it at that but stop with the bull **** lectures on why i shouldn't turn them off. i never asked and i don't care about your opinion.

Dude, lighten up a little. One thing you need to understand is we all have opinons, in a forum like this they get shared. Just take from it the info you need (which by now has been provided) and leave the rest to the great debators of the subby world, makes for alot more peaceful life.

As for me, I looked all over the dash to try and find the "off" switch for the DRLs and wondered the same thing. Not to turn them off, just so I'd know where the switch was.

Enjoy your Forester, I know what you mean about lossing sleep, I get a funny giggle every time I get on my 2.5RS:brow: Later, Tim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look in the mirror. who asked anyone of you your opinion on whether i should turn them off or not. mind your own business. so they can't be turned off. fine. leave it at that but stop with the bull **** lectures on why i shouldn't turn them off. i never asked and i don't care about your opinion.

This coming from a 17 year old;....... Grow up!!! The people out here are telling you why its not a smart reason to turn them off for YOUR safty as well as OURS. why do you suppose that is??? well because most of us dont want us or our family members to be maimed or killed because some punk didnt want his lights on. If this ONLY affected you i wouldnt give a rats rump roast what you did, but if your going to be on the roads, you should be as safe as possible. Just because your free doesnt mean you need to be dumb.

btw, this goes for anything, if someone asks to make a lift kit out of cheeze, they are going to be yelled at because its unsafe. ok.

and why are you so dead set on turning your lights off??? whats the big deal? so dont ask for help, get safety precautions and then bitch at us.

I dont see smokers yelling at the surgeon general!

P.s when im driving i get super pissed at people with there fog lights on all the time. i mean they are always blinding, and usually not adjusted correctly anyway. i mean i live in AZ and i havnt seen fog in years, so what gives!?

Tyler J.

• 1 month later...

I Just Got An 05 Xt Ob. The Hand Brake At First Notch Turns Off The Drl's. There Must Be A Switch Under The Cover That Can Be Separated, Or Eliminated.

I Don't Like Driving In A One Car Funeral Procession. Why Gm Chose To Make It Manditory Is Beyond Me. Other Makes Have A Fuse To Deactivate It. I Like To Drive In "stealth Mode"

This coming from a 17 year old;....... Grow up!!! The people out here are telling you why its not a smart reason to turn them off for YOUR safty as well as OURS. why do you suppose that is??? well because most of us dont want us or our family members to be maimed or killed because some punk didnt want his lights on. If this ONLY affected you i wouldnt give a rats rump roast what you did, but if your going to be on the roads, you should be as safe as possible. Just because your free doesnt mean you need to be dumb.

btw, this goes for anything, if someone asks to make a lift kit out of cheeze, they are going to be yelled at because its unsafe. ok.

and why are you so dead set on turning your lights off??? whats the big deal? so dont ask for help, get safety precautions and then bitch at us.

I dont see smokers yelling at the surgeon general!

P.s when im driving i get super pissed at people with there fog lights on all the time. i mean they are always blinding, and usually not adjusted correctly anyway. i mean i live in AZ and i havnt seen fog in years, so what gives!?

Tyler J.

I can't believe this thread is still getting responses. funny.

BTW- i like the running lights now after having the car for 5 weeks. i still don't think it is anyone elses business whether i use them or not. your free to post your opinions and i'm free to ignore them.

[My only complaint is that at night if I forget to switch on the headlights I'll tend to think they are on and yet I realize the tail lights are not when only driving lights are.....

If only the DRLs are on then your dashlights are off. It seems to me I'd notice pretty quickly that my lights aren't on when I see my dashboard in complete darkness.

I can't believe this thread is still getting responses. funny.

BTW- i like the running lights now after having the car for 5 weeks. i still don't think it is anyone elses business whether i use them or not. your free to post your opinions and i'm free to ignore them.

You are rightn it's your business. But since the cost of your insurance is automatically lowered because of the lights, that makes you a cheat.

My Forester lights have never been switched off since I don't have DRL. I only wish I had them :rolleyes:

I'm willing to pay for replacement bulbs more frequently than if I left them off. To me it's worth it to let idiots know where I am.

However having said that, I have a Trooper that does not have DRL or a door switch to turn off the Headlights. I don't use the headlights on that vehicle because I know I'll leave the lights on. :mad:

Wonder if that makes any sence?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--630w shining forward. Has no low beams.

01 Forester--no DRL!

other cars...

Don't be a douche.

I think it should be a law you must always have your lights on. Start giving out small fines for it and then all would be well.

I'd settle for people not driving round with their foglights on, or even worse the high-glare taillights that go on with them on many European cars.

I'd settle for people not driving round with their foglights on, or even worse the high-glare taillights that go on with them on many European cars.
People are idiots. Those are rear fog lights, and are only meant to be used in extremely foggy/dumping down rain/snow circumstances. They shouldn't come on with the front foglights, they are a separate switch. But morons have another button on the dashboard that they have to press.

I Don't Like Driving In A One Car Funeral Procession. I Like To Drive In "stealth Mode"

Funniest thing I have read in the whole thread LMAO. I would hate to ask you guys if I should take off my catalytic converter. I would be afraid one of you would report me to green peace or the Sierra Club (probably the 17 year old seems a little too Eddie Hascle. BTW that’s a nice dress you are wearing MRS Cleaver). Apparently it’s a free country around here as long as you don’t screw with the head light switch.

NJKayaker:

I am glad that my new Forester XT has DRL. You and I share the same insurance pool here in the state with the highest rates in the good ol' USA. We need all the help we can get in the most densely populated state in the Union. The DRLs may also keep a few more people out of my ER.

I have been driving long enough that my first car did not have seat belts. I remember how long the automakers fought airbags (boy, what a major impact..no pun intended..they have had on the number of major trauma cases I see). Now many states are mandating "wipers on, headlights on." DRL will be on all cars in the USA, eventually, the benefits are too great to be ignored.

So, for now, use them or disable as you please. Change comes slowly in our land.

Just one question...why did you want to turn them off? (somehow in all this discussion, that never came up)

Mike

Funniest thing I have read in the whole thread LMAO. I would hate to ask you guys if I should take off my catalytic converter. I would be afraid one of you would report me to green peace or the Sierra Club (probably the 17 year old seems a little too Eddie Hascle. BTW that’s a nice dress you are wearing MRS Cleaver). Apparently it’s a free country around here as long as you don’t screw with the head light switch.
do as you please with the cat. sure a bit more pollution, but as long as it passes at the dmv, its fine with me. Besides, even gutted, itll prolly run cleaner than these damn excursions and suburbans and escalades...etc.

Apparently it’s a free country around here as long as you don’t screw with the head light switch.

yea ok, were taking away SOOO many of your rights not letting you turn off your DRL's. :rolleyes: I believe they are coming manditory on cars for a reason eh??

geeze, kids working at Mc. Donalds HAVE to wash there hands before getting back to work, i mean, sons of bitche s, how dare they tell them what to do. and i thought we were free. :rolleyes:

god nevermind im not even going to get into that. anymore at least.

Glad your ok with them now, its a safety feature, not just for you ya know? and you dont need to ignore me, not agree sure, but ignore? how rude! :) consider this, what if Truckers took off those rear bumper things on their trailers, you know the ones that keep people from decapitating themselves in a rear ender, just to shave off a few pounds? not really a good thing. well enjoy, and yes someone sure brought this post back from the grave.

• 4 years later...

When I come home late at night and back into my driveway, I like to turn off my lights one notch so as not to blast light into the bedrooms of my sleeping neighbors.

I am shocked that so many people would get so up in arms in favor of their cars making decisions for them.

this is awesome, how did i miss this? this has zero to do with freedom. it makes no difference to the driver.:lol: having the lights on doesn't affect anything, you can't even tell!!! :lol::lol: that's awesome, freedom. freedom for something that doesn't matter, fight for it!

there's probably thousands of requirements for auto's. some that might please you to modify, so you're going to start reading through all the mandated, freedom stealing, requirements for auto manufacturers? i mean, what's 1 or 5 % safety increases here or there, freedom suckers!!!!!!:lol:

my wife asked the hair cutter last year who the worst clients are....she was meaning, what hair is the hardest to style. the response was "Jersey guys, they're insanely picky".

Edited by grossgary

this is awesome, how did i miss this? this has zero to do with freedom. it makes no difference to the driver.:lol: having the lights on doesn't affect anything, you can't even tell!!! :lol::lol: that's awesome, freedom. freedom for something that doesn't matter, fight for it!

there's probably thousands of requirements for auto's. some that might please you to modify, so you're going to start reading through all the mandated, freedom stealing, requirements for auto manufacturers? i mean, what's 1 or 5 % safety increases here or there, freedom suckers!!!!!!:lol:

my wife asked the hair cutter last year who the worst clients are....she was meaning, what hair is the hardest to style. the response was "Jersey guys, they're insanely picky".

If I ever get around to modifying my '03 headlights so that the low-beam filament turns off when the high beams are on, I may need to disable the DRLs. There are times when i would like to turn them off at night (sometimes you have to go stealth, and the brakes drag a bit with the Ebrake on one notch), but in general I really don't care if they're on.

Dave

I disabled the DRL's on our 2000 and 2001 OBW by pulling the plug under the dash.

IMHO, if DRL's are REQUIRED then everyone should also be REQUIRED to install new bulbs at least once a year (that'll never happen:) ) The constant use of the filaments seems to cause the bulbs to get dimmer and less white over time. I see far too many cars on the road with poor (dim) headlights, most likely due to tired filaments.

I see far too many cars on the road with poor (dim) headlights, most likely due to tired filaments.
yeah those are all the 1990's subaru's with plastic lenses that are yellowed. check out the forum here, there's a number of writes up, pictures, and before/after documentation of how horrible they are. some of the cars i've bought should not have been street legal the lights were so terrible at night. actually i just had one pass "inspection" like that last week. then i cleaned them up after the fact (sanding/refinish), knowing they would never catch that on inspection.

yeah those are all the 1990's subaru's with plastic lenses that are yellowed. check out the forum here, there's a number of writes up, pictures, and before/after documentation of how horrible they are. some of the cars i've bought should not have been street legal the lights were so terrible at night. actually i just had one pass "inspection" like that last week. then i cleaned them up after the fact (sanding/refinish), knowing they would never catch that on inspection.

No, I am referring even to newer vehicles that simply have headlight output that is dimmer and more yellow compare to what you get with a fresh halogen bulb. Try changing a halogen bulb that is only a year old that has been run as a DRL witha new bulb and I think you'll notice that the newer bulb is brighter and whiter. Personally, I would rather save my filaments so I can see better at night.

Great thread...LOL

Goes to show how selfish people can be these days

The "ME GENERATION"...it'a all about ME and MY rights....

Fine...let's say you don't want to wear seat belts. If you kill or maim yourself, I don't give a crap if you want to be a moron..knock yourself out

But the fact is you pinhead...your selfish "freedoms" WILL affect others....your poor family will have to take care of your limp vegetative body for the rest of your pathatic life..(ruining theirs)

And your $100,000,000 in operations and continued medical care affects all of us in driving up our costs

Never mind if you come out without a scratch and ruin the lives of someone else (due to not wanting your lights on)

Can't you see that your pride and selfishness is getting in the way of sound reasoning...and concern for your fellow man? What about the greater good?

As Bob Grant used to echo...the world is sick and getting sicker....

• 3 weeks later...

We just bought our second new Subaru in 22 years - both "pavement-colored" cars - and are very glad to have DRL on the Diamond Gray 2009 Outback after years of feeling vulnerable in the Lucent Grey 87 GL 4WD.

Our non-Suby vehicle, a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer, didn't have DRL, so we tried an aftermarket kit that worked great until it didn't, completely draining the battery - disabling the keypad entry system - while we were backpacking miles from civilization. Apparently the nice feature that turns off anything draining the battery 45 minutes after shutting off the ignition wasn't part of the loop that the DRL kit tied into.

Fortunately we had a spare key with us to get into the car -the driver left his key in the console, so without my spare we'd have been locked out of our own car. So at least we could sit in the comfort of the car with access to food and water, while we waited for someone to come along and jump-start us.

Thanks, Subaru, for incorporating the DRL feature into the newer models.

If you take advantage of the fact that turning off the ignition switch on your Subaru also switches off the headlights, aren't you overlooking the extra drain on your battery required when STARTING the car with the headlight switch in the ON position? Isn't it the same as leaving the radio, heater fan or windshield wipers on? Just more work for the battery.

Another argument for DRL.

If you take advantage of the fact that turning off the ignition switch on your Subaru also switches off the headlights, aren't you overlooking the extra drain on your battery required when STARTING the car with the headlight switch in the ON position? Isn't it the same as leaving the radio, heater fan or windshield wipers on? Just more work for the battery.

Another argument for DRL.

i'm not sure , but i think, when you turn the key to start, it disconnects everything else. my power antenna even starts to retract.