Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX ralley car, engine bay, gutting

I am going to pull motor and install clutch soon. I want to eliminate as much uneeded clutter, weight from my engine bay on an 85 rx sedan. I want to keep heating and air. does anyone have a picture of an engine or engine bay, that has been cleaned up. Thanks! <Shep> A.K.A. The "Wing Man"

if its going to be a rally car or somthing along those lines, take out the ac and ut on some roof scoops like a rally car? anyway good luck, also you can take out the hood latch mech and put hood pins in the front corners also take out all the carpet and sound padding thats alot of weight right there.

good luck let us know how it gos.

My car doesn't have power steering. I like the all electric fan idea. That sure would make working on or pulling the engine easier! Oh by the way, this car is just for fun, not serious racing. That's why I might keep the A.C. I am more concerned with ease of repairs, making room to modify the engine, than weight.

You'll still have A/C without the compressor, commonly known as 4/70 A/C. Four windows, 70 mile an hour :)

Dump all your heatshieliding around the turbo, that cross bar under the spare tire, the spare tire, clutch fan, stock air box, all the plastic sheilding around the fuel lines, egr setup (debatable)....theres alot that can be eliminated, but some requires more effort.

I have A/C in the '88 RX, but don't use it, and this is my replacement;

Just roll down both sides front windows, and crack both the rear ones an inch or 2. You get a nice airstream, but it doesn't bother your face (or screw up long hair, in my case). This only works in Subarus, I swear! If CA is like CO, with heat but no humidity (i honestly have no idea..) then this is great,but if it's humid, consider keeping the a/c unit.

Being from the north, I find it funny watching all the guys from the northern states telling you to ditch the AC.. 2 years ago I would have said the same thing...

105 degrees at 90% humidity last summer taught me a good lesson about that... AC is your friend:D

Being from the north, I find it funny watching all the guys from the northern states telling you to ditch the AC.. 2 years ago I would have said the same thing...

105 degrees at 90% humidity last summer taught me a good lesson about that... AC is your friend:D

More than that, A/C can be a lifesaver in that kind of heat. My family lives in Phoenix area, and I don't care what they say, if it is 120 outside it doesn't matter whether it is a "dry heat". Add ANY humidity and you're in trouble.

But then, I am a heat-wimp, and even PacificNorthWet weather can get too hot for me. We DO hit over 100 degrees up here, and it isn't a "dry heat". (Doesn't compare to Texas and Deep South conditions, though.)

hey it doesn't get that hot around here and i still have a/c on my car and plan to keep it i don't like heat. but if you are going for room to work on the engine removing the ac will give you alot of room. but if this car is being built for more fun than it is racing you gotta think about creature comfort

http://www.bankruptsoul.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=1

This is a picture of my engine bay. I have removed the power steering, A/C, spare tire, air box, and a few other things I can't even remember. The windshield wiper fluid tank is on the inside now because for a while I had no fenders...It's out of a '90 Legacy. Also, obviously, this is a SPFI motor - not sure what your RX is.

you have MPFI with a flaper style MAF. its a good system over all. heres my view. if the a/c works keep it if not dump it. no p/s on an RX? I did not know they came that way. probably the most usefull thing you could do is relocate the battery to the trunk. but dont forget to vent it out of the car. that would give you better weight distribution and more elbow room under the hood I would keep the mechanical fan because if there is a failure in the electric set up your screwed with out it. subes dont like to overheat. if you are still going to keep it street legal here in CA dont yank the emissions stuff. it dosent hurt anything.

as for the rally tires I think I saw them at tires.com or tirerack.com

gut your interior and cage it.

Hey heh heh, i just gutted the hell outa' my hatch. I ripped out the dash, and ALL the crap underneath it, (heater and AC crap) im going to fiberglass in a new dash so i wont worry about the pokey stuff beneath. I tore out all the carpet, ALL the plastic panels, ill be relocating the battery, MABY (i doubt) the radiator, and i was also planning on making some new windows out of plexiglass. ?? legal ?? and maby just maby when im all through and have nothing else to do, i might make a fiberglass hood and maby fenders.

really theres not much you can do, unfortunately the plastic interior panels dont weigh too much so removing them would be virtually pointless unless the AC was gone as well. you can try some brand of racing seat(s) to lighten the load.

in my opinion, if you want the AC, you shouldnt be gutting your car, i just think that the rest of your stuff wont add up to anything significant without the AC poop.

Hope that helps.

Tyler J.