Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To Mod or Not?

Ok...since I lost out on the coupe I guess I am going to have to do something with Bucky if I want to take him to carlisle next year.Question is..should I do some mods to him or keep him original? There really isnt anything special about him...just a plain jane FWD Loyale wagon (like you dont see them .....EVERYWHERE!:rolleyes: )

He is a very clean car though..for NorthEastern standards...At least I think he is...Paul,LeakingOil,Brus,and Scoobadooba and Dave saw him and unless they were lying to me so not to hurt my feeling ..said he was nice too. I cant afford to do some of these terrific mods like alot of you but dont know how to make him stand out alittle more. Suggestions???

Plus...anyone know how to take care of rust around the windsheild without taking the windsheild out?? I dont want to have to buy a new one of those. ...Bucky

but if you get it down to the metal, you dont need the extend anymore, its just for the rust you cant remove.

takin that windshield out is the only real way to do it, i have seen them in junkyards so bad that i could push the windshiled out without using a knife, or guitar string. and did when replacing a windshield in my wagon.

lower it, thats about all i can think to do other than serious stuff.

Chop the roof,louverd hood,side pipes,fuzzy dice,bobble head dog.....but seriously.....just show up!!!That's all you need to do at Carlisle with our crew.No snobs among us and only one,maybe two folks who actually dump way too much money into their rides.Most of us show up in hack daily drivers or our "Sunday car".

The big question to me: Is this your daily driver?

I'm not an advocate for modifying your daily driver. Many people do it and I used to but it's simply not worth the headaches and stress IMHO. Now by modifications I"m talking things that actually effect engine performance or other driving characteristics. Striclty cosmetic mods; well sure that's not going to keep you from work on Monday :)

If Bucky is just a great toy like my Subaru then I say

GO FOR IT !_!

Mods....depending on what you want for the car...and If you'd like to keep it daily drivable.

My GL-10 would still be a great daily driver...IF I put the PS back in! :banghead: Cuz the AC still worked great, and it got good gas mileage...depending on how heavy my foot was...lol

If you want some better handling...little bit more power..and some better looks...with daily driving still in mind...here is what I would do...

Front suspension: Poly control arm bushings, Steering rack bushings, KYB GR2 front struts w/250 lb 10 in tall springs, and some cusco camber plates for WRX (or equvilant) That will give you MUCH better turn in response and MUCH better handling. Leave the stock sway bar alone for now.

Rear suspension: RX rear dampers with 350 lb 8 inch tall std coil over springs, and an 18~20 MM rear sway bar. This will make the pushing like a pig go away, increase cargo capacity (reducing squat) and really give some feel to the car, and the ride will still be quite good.

Go with an RX or XT6 Full Time 4WD 5spd conversion with a rear LSD to match. This will give you traction in all conditions and you will really beable to put the power down! **NOTE: If you do not go with 4WD rear suspension...increase the spring height to 10 inches**

Engine: Skip can make an awesome lightened flywheel, and go with an XT6 Clutch/presure plate. Header and exhaust will add a nice note and increase power in the mid and low range...depending on the type of muffler used, low end will increase as well. For the intake...LEAVE IT ALONE! The stock stuff is great. Just drop in a high flow replacement filter and call it done.

Cams can be done as well....just make sure to not go overboard with those. Too aggresive of a grind can cause daily driver trouble...the 260 Delta cams do a good job of opening up the top end...with no noticable issues with drivability on a daily basis. Tuning the timing in is another thing that can really free up some more power of these engines...although i noticed that any fuel will work fine in the SPFI engines...but of all the other work is done...then run 93 octane!

If you want to crack into the engine...uping the compression ratio will increase power across the entire power band considerably. Going with lighter/strong higher compression pistons and light/strong rods will add quite a bit to these engines...but those items dont come cheaply.

An RX body kit installed properly really does add quite the look to the car.

Alloy wheels also complement the look quite nicely. Perosnally I am a big fan of the Premier Alloys, but the Motions look good as well.

Ok, looks liek my 2 mins are up! :drunk:

Bucky is all I have...he is my only car and I depend on him greatly.I cant even have him go down for a day to do a basic repair (IE timing belts...I am pushing it bad right now ..they have almost 100,000 on them). I want to keep him just as dependable as always but want him not to look so ordinary.

Thats why I wanted that coupe so bad...first I was going to put Bucky down for some much needed love he needs and use the coupe. Then when my Boy was done I wanted to start on the other one and slowly (being I am completely by myself and half the time cant afford to eat) make the coupe a show piece.

I was thinking on the lines for Bucky ..white wagon wheel rims with some nice old school center caps and the RX body kit and a normal wagon spoiler. Maybe alittle tinting on the windows too. And some graphics.

So how hard is it going to be to come across a RX body kit???

I was thinking on the lines for Bucky ..white wagon wheel rims with some nice old school center caps and the RX body kit and a normal wagon spoiler. Maybe alittle tinting on the windows too. And some graphics.

So how hard is it going to be to come across a RX body kit???

The best way is to find a RX in a wrecking yard, good luck doing that.

I have a rule of thumb for doing conversions that I have learned the hard way, estimate what it is going to cost you to do the conversion, then double it, even then it probably won't be enough.

I have a rule of thumb for doing conversions that I have learned the hard way, estimate what it is going to cost you to do the conversion, then double it, even then it probably won't be enough.

I'm with the Doc on this one, make a fair estimate of the required money and time... then double the money and tripple the time, and you might be close.

Gary

Carlisle,PA...they host several car shows at the fair grounds.The Import/Kit Car show is the one we take part in.THis past year was a nice representaion of Subarus in our first year as an organized group....sort of.

Always the third weekend in May.Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but I'm pretty sure about that.

Bucky needs no mods right now.What you need are just cool appointments that don't cost much.Stay off the hard stuff or you'll have trouble getting off on Loyales much longer. :grin: In other words...it goes from N/A to Turbo,to intercoolers,to superchargers,to lift kits,to transaxles....before you know it you've made a monster that eats you up. :eek:

You and your car are just fine like they are.A little TLC,for the car,and you'll be just as well off.

Stay off the hard stuff or you'll have trouble getting off on Loyales much longer. :grin: In other words...it goes from N/A to Turbo,to intercoolers,to superchargers,to lift kits,to transaxles....before you know it you've made a monster that eats you up. :eek:

no truer word spoken