Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no respect!

it was rainy the other day, and i was having fun with the combo of awd, and good tires in the xt6. i was scootin off the line in front of everybody, then one time i looked next to me, and 2 car links back theres a wrx with a 16 year old in the drivers seat. we met at a few stop lights and seems like i can get up to 30mps before he can, but after that he starts walkin away.

the thing that pissed me off, is that he drove off with a look of sickness on his face. he either thought i was in a honda, or he has no respect for his heritage.

i just dont get it. honda,vw, chevy, ford, all those car companies get respect for their old cars. peepl recognize them as their history/heritage. but these new subaru kids dont seem to know, or care. whats the deal?

Repremand.

I don't see the reason to buy a kid a rocket for his 16th. Maybe his parents think he'll be responsible and not race with it.

I kind of have that same sick look on my face that I can imagine the kid did. But my look would be because you raced him, therefore encouraging him to do it more. It was your big chance to refrain and drive like a responsible adult and set an example.

I have a 16 year old daughter, I'd kick your rump roast if you told me you raced her.

Time and time again, I'm the leader of a group of cars headed out the hills. That would be me keeping light on the pedal to keep the kids behind me on the road. When it's just me, I get crazy, but when there's a 19 year old kid following me, I take it relatively easy. Ask 'em, they'll probably tell you I don't, but they're always able to keep up.

Repremand.

I kind of have that same sick look on my face that I can imagine the kid did. But my look would be because you raced him, therefore encouraging him to do it more. It was your big chance to refrain and drive like a responsible adult and set an example.

I have a 16 year old daughter, I'd kick your rump roast if you told me you raced her.

thats about the oldest gayest opinion i have ever heard. would you kick my rump roast if i told you your daughter was hot? no need to get all angry at me.

notice i said up to 30 mph, not much of a race. i didnt even know he was there till a few stoplights. 4 lane streets, and hes was on one side, and i was on the other. im 24 so he coulda been 20 for all i know, im feeling old lately.

This is going to get out of hand really quick. Wish there was a forum for this. I'm not taking either sides and I'm staying out of it.

<----Old school stweet wacer, only track now.

Arch, if you want respect, you have to take it. You have to do something to your car to annihilate that WRX. It's possible but staying N/A it won't happen.

A nice intake and exhaust help a lot. Try a K&N cone filter and a 2.25" exhaust (eliminating the 2nd cat) back to a 2.25" muffler (I like Dynomax Ultra Flow SS). If you drive a stick, you probably could take an automatic WRX up to 60mph or so (On the track) and a manual up until about 35-40mph. It'll be fun and it's a start. :)

...Arch, if you want respect, you have to take it. :)
HHMMMM... I was taught that you have to earn respect.

Zapar, I agree with you about responsibility and setting an example. I have a 20 yr-old daughter and 16 yr-old son. I would like to believe that both of them think for themselves enough to know that just because an adult does it doesn't make street racing any less of a "fool's game". But they also watch the behavior of more mature people to get a clue for their expected conduct. Can end up being a mixed message.

Two other things... if someone told me that my daughter was "hot" (I assume sexually, not thermally or doing well in her current endeavor) I would certainly tell them that their comment was inappropriate, both being objectifying and being directed at her father.

Second, Zapar, 16-yr old? I hope that your listed "Age" is not correct. :)

Not my point. If you don't see the wrong in racing with 16 year olds in hot rods, then I don't know what to say.

My first car was a 1969 Mustang with a Boss 302. A WRX wouldn't have stood a chance in a straght line. Some how I lived thru all the maniac driving I did with it. But in retrospect, I was dumb as hell. I had no idea how low my driving skills were, at 19 I knew everything, you couldn't have told me different.

With some time and experience, I've learned some lessons, and one would be that 16 year olds have no business racing on the street in WRXs.

I race with my impreza plenty, it goes like the wind, but try to choose sensible times and places and situations to do it. When the young kids come up along side me in their silly Hondas, I bite the bullet and let them go. When the little bit older ones do, I let them have it.

im not out tempting kids to race me. thats not the point of this whole thread!

kids these days dont think about the past.

im sorry i said anything about your daughter, but theres realy no reason to attack me. id never say i would kick any of your asses, for any reason.

This is going to get out of hand really quick. Wish there was a forum for this. I'm not taking either sides and I'm staying out of it.

Arch, if you want respect, you have to take it. You have to do something to your car to annihilate that WRX. It's possible but staying N/A it won't happen.

A nice intake and exhaust help a lot. Try a K&N cone filter and a 2.25" exhaust (eliminating the 2nd cat) back to a 2.25" muffler (I like Dynomax Ultra Flow SS). If you drive a stick, you probably could take an automatic WRX up to 60mph or so (On the track) and a manual up until about 35-40mph. It'll be fun and it's a start. :)

or do all that and stick it in a stock early 80s chasis! =] das my plan, hopefully it will be runing next sunday :grin: and ive only had the donor car for 7days now.

Not my point. If you don't see the wrong in racing with 16 year olds in hot rods, then I don't know what to say.
I never said I don't see your point. I see both of your points. I'm not getting involved in this though. That's what I'm saying. :)

Just giving Arch some advice on how he can turn the tables in his XT6. The place he chooses to 'turn the tables' is his choice. It's not that I condone it or anything, I'm just not touching on my opinion of street racing. I'd probably seem like a hypocrit anyways since I still have videos of me street racing floating around. :rolleyes:

having ridden with zap in his n/a imp

i can verify he does know his stuff..

and i also agree with him may be only 27 .. i think

but 98 percent of the time the age shows the ability and mentality

there are the few exceptions that at even in training wheels they show immense skill but then again.. would bet those people also prolly don't street race on the normal public filled roads and choose to "show" on the more empty back and side roads where if somethign goes wrong.. its only 1 or 2 people that are affected

on the other hand

i also see nothing wrong with stop light to stop light up to the local speed limit of course the other person most of the time goes past teh local speed limit ..

and i suspect it may be partially my fault for toying with someone who may not have figured it all out yet

:(

oh hey zap..

look cops..

lol

all this for 30 mph...settle down. carl lewis RAN 29 mph. let's hug, make up and talk subaru's. there's guys on this board doing 100+ on a regular basis. start another thread (or website) if you're concerned about that. i'm being serious, not trying to be a smart rump roast.

someone's driving is their own responsibility. if they drive crazy it's their fault or their parents. you're not genetically programmed to push a gas pedal. it's learned behavior or lack of restraint.

do you think it was AWD (they might all be AWD for all i know)? i know nothing about the wrx, but doesn't it have LSD front and rear AWD? would the AWD wrx have better traction than the AWD XT6? the manual XT6 you can sit a little better if you have the manual or modified auto tranny to lock the center.

Sorry, Archemitis, didn't mean to sound like I was getting on your case (or anyone else's). :)

Being socially inept, I probably excercized even worse judgement as a teen then anyone here. REALLY couldn't tell me anything and I was never wrong. Sports cars (well, in 60's and 70's terms ;) ) and 750CC motorcycles. Used to get my grins listening to the exhaust collector on my Honda 750 "sing" as it grazed the pavement. Cut a rubber traffic-counter hose on an onramp that way once upon a time.

all this for 30 mph...settle down. carl lewis RAN 29 mph.

I got busted for "exhibition of speed" once while doing a steady 25 mph. :brow:

Oh, and IMHO, driving is everybody's responsibility, as it produces risks for everybody. Again, not trying to be a more-than-usual PITA, just offering a chance to reflect. ;)

Back a little closer to topic... When I was a teen I thought that what I had was superior to what someone else had. Hand a 16 yr-old a jet-engined skateboard like a WRX, put him in the driver's seat with keys, and you think that he is going to give any respect to anyone driving anything? He/she doesn't have the perspective and maturity (usually) to do that. His opinion of your car shouldn't matter to anyone except him. And he almost certainly will not give homage to what got his car to where it is today.

"Gratitude is an attribute of dogs" V.I. Lenin

Cheers!

it was rainy the other day, and i was having fun with the combo of awd, and good tires in the xt6. i was scootin off the line in front of everybody, then one time i looked next to me, and 2 car links back theres a wrx with a 16 year old in the drivers seat. we met at a few stop lights and seems like i can get up to 30mps before he can, but after that he starts walkin away.

the thing that pissed me off, is that he drove off with a look of sickness on his face. he either thought i was in a honda, or he has no respect for his heritage.

i just dont get it. honda,vw, chevy, ford, all those car companies get respect for their old cars. peepl recognize them as their history/heritage. but these new subaru kids dont seem to know, or care. whats the deal?

This is an excerpt from a post I made yesterday when I recounted my tale of getting the Brat back on the road.

"The idle was a tad high and she backfired at the gas station... scared the heart out of the kid that was filling up his brand new WRX at the next pump... heheheh <evil grin> After he got over his shock, he did wander over to check out the Brat. He left with the feeling that he made a good choice in car companies."

He became a bit wide-eyed when he heard it was a '78. We chatted about the Brat for a few minutes and he watched as Tim went under the hood and adjusted the idle. Hopefully the encounter enlightened him to drive it with care knowing it could very well survive 26+ years...

Jumping off a light isn't so bad as long as you're in proper lanes and stay with the speed limit... it's the 100+mph weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 that bothers me. We have watched crotch rockets, with girls on the back on numerous occasions... that terrifies me! We saw a Honda and a WRX racing and weaving a week ago... I half expected to see carnage at any point in time, it was pretty scary...

as I stated in another post a while back...

WRX = wrecks

ya, i read that one, made me smile =].

about the best thing any newschool kid has said to me about my subaru was, man i bet you have fun in the snow!

theres not much racin here in minneapolis for some reason. not as many hotrods as you would think for a big city. im kinda used to texas where everybody is tryin to prove how fast they are, and everybodys got a mustang.