Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no respect!

A couple reasons people are a little tense about strret racing is there have been a lot of deaths lately directly connected to street racing. Getting worse around here evry day. Most are caused by too young inexperienced drivers driving cars that they can not handle.

Racing is defined as any comparison of speed at any speed. Yes, that would even include seeing who could go the slowest. A friend of mine is a cop for a local small town. I asked him to pace me when I did some tire tranny work and that is when I got the racing definitions from him.

And...I too have a daugther. Ask around and I bet you won't want to go there with me either.

On the respect note, you can't get respect from or for something that someone doesn't understand.

That is one of the reasons we are involved with the West Coast Subaru Show. It serves as a tool to teach people about the past and the heritage that is Subaru.

it was rainy the other day, and i was having fun with the combo of awd, and good tires in the xt6. i was scootin off the line in front of everybody, then one time i looked next to me, and 2 car links back theres a wrx with a 16 year old in the drivers seat. we met at a few stop lights and seems like i can get up to 30mps before he can, but after that he starts walkin away.

the thing that pissed me off, is that he drove off with a look of sickness on his face. he either thought i was in a honda, or he has no respect for his heritage.

i just dont get it. honda,vw, chevy, ford, all those car companies get respect for their old cars. peepl recognize them as their history/heritage. but these new subaru kids dont seem to know, or care. whats the deal?

Ricer. The WRX is ending up on used car lots for 13k or so nowa days...with all the real subie guys getting into STi's, Legacy GT Turbos...or going back to the previous Impreza...or simply trading up to the next year model WRX....

So the WRX turns up...parents write a check and spoiled rice boy gets a WRX instead of a Civic. :banghead:

NASIOC is getting full of these types...and we hate them...most of them are dumb, street race, and think they own the world/know it all. :mad:

I guess I'm from the "younger" generation, driving an Impreza, hanging out with the STi crowd, blah, blah, blah.

But, I love the older Subarus. My RS was my first, but I've since had a '91 Legacy, and a Loyale on the way. I honk and wave at older Scoobs all the time, but most of them just scratch their heads. *sigh*

Jumping off a light isn't so bad as long as you're in proper lanes and stay with the speed limit... it's the 100+mph weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 that bothers me.

Agree with this. Have been many fatal accidents in new zealand lately involving what we call "boy racers". Has led to laws being introduced so that their cars can be confiscated if found racing. These "boy racers" are usually driving a car far too powerful for their driving experience, and seem to have no appreciation of the many things that can go wrong when driving at such ridiculous speeds in buisy, residential areas (or even anywhere).

One thing they are good for: Their increasingly huge rear spoilers and silly interior lights make for a great laugh on an otherwise mundane drive...:)

i dont want people to think i make a habbit of offending someones family, or racing on the streets, so heres my reasoning. i drive a motorcycle, one day i was tryin to keep up with another, much more powerfull bike. i was doin ok, till a guy cut me off, and i plowed into the back of him at about 60mph. flew over the car, landed in front of it. he swerver, and floored it. took off, i was ok, but i still get flashbacks. that changed how i ride a bike, in the big city.

also 2 months ago my cousin got married, after the weding his best man hopped in his moms 350z, my borther got in the passenger seat. the driver turned the traction controll off. and started shifting down the street with the manual option, sideways and smokin! they mand it a 1/4 mile down the road, and hit a tree, my brother walked away, but the best man died on impact.

street racing is bad, ok, i dont doubt that. it doesnt keep me from speeding, but i deffinately dont go out looking for a fight, or a race. thats why i like offroading. you can be goin 40 and it seems like 100. and if you mess up, its your deal, not some innocent by standards.

sorry to offend anyone, its just like if I get attacked, I go on the offensive and get fire fingers real quick.

Hey, news flash, nobody MADE that 16 year old "race" anyone.... That person made the conscious decision to apply more pedal and "race".

If some duder pulls upto your 16yr daughter and revs his engine to "race"... nobody is MAKING her do anything. She makes that decision and if she DOES race maybe you should kick HER rump roast for making the WRONG decision.... not threaten the person she decided to race.

Good job of restraint. I understand Morgan's point, but it's probably not in the human nature of a teenager to exhibit common sense when faced with a "dare." Those who, are ostensibly wiser, and more mature (more responsible) should demonstrate the wisdom and maturity and not invite calamity. If you call a dog into traffic and it gets hit by a car, is it the dog's fault? (I don't mean to imply that teenagers aren't any smarter than dogs - at least not all of them, but the parallel is, at least, similar.)

Zapar......................Haven't got an answer about your posted age?
See *Occupation

:drunk:

Birthday: July 10, 1983

City: Emerald City

State: Washington

Interests: Building/offroading Soobs, rallying the impreza in an ammeture type way

Biography: Been there done most of it. Learned from it.

Ezboard Name: EZap

Good job of restraint. I understand Morgan's point, but it's probably not in the human nature of a teenager to exhibit common sense when faced with a "dare." Those who, are ostensibly wiser, and more mature (more responsible) should demonstrate the wisdom and maturity and not invite calamity. If you call a dog into traffic and it gets hit by a car, is it the dog's fault? (I don't mean to imply that teenagers aren't any smarter than dogs - at least not all of them, but the parallel is, at least, similar.)

Teenagers, just like dogs, can be well trained to make the right decisions but when it comes down to it they make the decision :) I've seen dogs stop for traffic more than once without someone telling them to. For my son saying 'well billy dared me!' is no excuse....

Are we far enough off topic yet? :-p

BTW Zapar Im gonna get that money order this week for the offroad video! Can't wait to watch some hardcore Subaru offroad'n action. Maybe I'll learn something? ;)