Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh oh What have I done

Digging into the web of hard vacuum hoses, I was trying to complete a recent project looking for a certain hose to attach too. Amongst the hard, brittle tiny vacuum hoses, I tried to wriggle one free but it took a piece of something with it. Now, whatever this thing it was connected to has no way of connecting to it because the piece is broken off into the vacuum hose my finger is on. This thing the hose was attached to is located just to the right of the turbo inlet. What is this piece? *Jeopardy music sounds* :-\

BrokenPart.JPG

ERG control valve or Purge Canster control valve. Follow the hose in both directions and it will go to one or the other and the other end will be the vacuum source (manifold). Easy to find at the yards, just take your meter along and check the coil.

Dude I have broken like three of those. Yes they are really brittle. I think it is the infamous egr silinoid. I was able to substitute a silinoid off of an older ea-81 car, had to change the electrical connector. Seemed to work then I found a real one in the junk yard and o so carefully installed it on my car.

$105 for the solenoid... you got ripped off :-p

It cost me $86.25 at the subaru dealer here :brow:

$86.25 for a solenoid...I RIPPED MINE OFF and pluged the hole in the head. EGR is for lame-os (or people who live in places that have emmisions inspections....)

viva la eugene

garner

I believe that one is the purge sol.

I just broke a wire off mine. need to get it replaced.

yeah Garner not only do I need mine for emisions but Im a lame O and like EGR valves too.:D

But enough of my save the earth, granola lovin, tree huggin talk.

they seem to work well with or with out em.

I like the 91 loyal idea. GM parts are cheap.

I didn't know it was common practice to break one of these things. I took mine out this morning but I only have 1 minute to go before I get to work so..... Since I live at work, I don't have time to go to a junkyard. So, I'll order up a new one but try to search for the cheapest one. So this is an EGR solenoid I understand? Does anyone here have the part# for this thing?

BTW: I misplaced all of my factory service manuals. I think my wife moved them and she's not admitting it. Arrrghhh! :banghead:

Since I live at work, I don't have time to go to a junkyard. So, I'll order up a new one but try to search for the cheapest one. So this is an EGR solenoid I understand? Does anyone here have the part# for this thing?

Solenoid is $85 at subaruparts.com in Tacoma WA. Don't even need a p/n, the nice folks there look it up for you, just fill in the online form.

• 2 weeks later...

sort of old thread, but it applies to me. so, If I were to just block this portion of vacuum hosing off, would it cause any ill effects?

not one, but 2

1027.jpg

1019.jpg

actually there's 3 :drunk:

the epoxy idea sounds pretty good though. NO way in hell am I paying $89