Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about another Sube, help me decide.

Well the RX has rolled up to 281,000 miles (that’s 30,000 more than I bought it with about 9 months ago), and the small oil leak is more like the Valdez now. It’s still running well, but I may soon have the opportunity to spend a bit of money on a daily driver, maybe as much as $2500-3000 (if my Datsun Z sells soon), this may be my one shot at a decent car for a long time (been drivin junk my whole life), so what to do?

Option 1, rebuild the RX… the high mileage and body damage/rust on this one make it a great parts car, but not really a good candidate for that kinda investment.

Option 2, find a REALLY nice replacement RX and maybe mod up the stock engine a bit… good, but not really what I’m dreaming of, I would like some real power.

Option 3, buy a solid Legacy Turbo… I like the “buy it and drive it” instant gratification of this, but I love the off beatness and smaller size of the RX. (Is beatness a word? :D )

Option 4, building the dream… Find a nice RX, maybe with a bad engine and transplant an EJ turbo drivetrain. Maybe start with a 2.2T and add JDM twin cam heads or a whole JDM WRX swap if one can be had for the right price. Down side here is the time to build and I will really miss the D/R tranny.

Anyway, if you’re still reading, thanks for listening. And I welcome your opinions… Option 5 ?

Gary

I was thinking about buying Qmans GL 3-door RX clone and I know where I can get a EJ22T swap for about $900. And my current RX can continue as my DD for a while. Of course this is All talk tell the money is in my hand.

Gary

P.S. Junkie, My daily commute is 175 miles a day over Snoqualmie pass. :rolleyes:

Or you could look really hard and find a Subaru RS. They made them back in the late 80s. Really rare, but fast and sweet for rallying.

Eh?

the RS was a Loyale in the early 90s

Most were spfi.. a few were turbo. Not terribly rare. Definitely not fast.. . nothing really special about them. Simply a bad shadow of the RX Gary already has.

Eh?

the RS was a Loyale in the early 90s

Most were spfi.. a few were turbo. Not terribly rare. Definitely not fast.. . nothing really special about them. Simply a bad shadow of the RX Gary already has.

I heard their fast, but I guess not. Late 80s early 90s its all relative.:drunk:

Man dude!!, if your going to be racking up over 30k miles a year, you should probably just look into getting an airplane. :rolleyes:

but seriously i have no idea what car you should get next. sorry.

Actually, with a typical year its around 42,000 miles without counting normal driving to the store and weekend trips (most of that stuff is done in the wife Suburban). And to think I've been making the trip for almost 10 years now, at about 2:45 a day in the car thats about 660 hours a year... about 275 days spent driving to work in the last 10 years.

:-\ Dam, I need a new job, I'm getting depressed now... and after all the Mr. Rodgers talk in the header thread had put me in a good mood.

Gary

Edit: fixed bad math... even more depressed now.:-p

I was thinking about buying Qmans GL 3-door RX clone and I know where I can get a EJ22T swap for about $900. And my current RX can continue as my DD for a while. Of course this is All talk tell the money is in my hand.

Gary

P.S. Junkie, My daily commute is 175 miles a day over Snoqualmie pass. :rolleyes:

I vote for this one. Figured it would be obvious heh?