Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a real dyno loads the engine so that it can be held at a certain rpm long enough to tune it, the intertal dyno, while just as accurate uses heavy weights, and once spinning won't hold the engine at a certain rpm.

Where the black and the blue cross thats 5252, it says that its not, but its impossible for it to cross at any other rpm, so either their tach is wrong, or it wasn't hooked up properly.

Originally posted by NoahDL88

Where the black and the blue cross thats 5252, it says that its not, but its impossible for it to cross at any other rpm, so either their tach is wrong, or it wasn't hooked up properly.

They were using the "calibration" method of calculating RPM (hold the car at 3000rpm in the gear you will pull in (almost all pulls that day were done in 4th) and they click "Calibrate"). This method is easy but there is a bit of a margin of error with this method, thus the rpm scale is skewed a little. :-/

Once I saw how easy it was when they did an run later in the day (on WJM's car) where the little induction sensor thing was attached, it made me wonder why there weren't using that method all day!? :rolleyes:

we have an older mustang dyno at school that dosn't hold rpm, thats just what i'm used to sorry.

at 5252 the hp and torque cross, its part of the formula that calculates hp from torque, if it crosses at another point, that is the 5252 rpm, its impossible to cross any where else, why its not crossing there is confusing to say the least, but it will cross there no matter what, there is no way around it.

Dennis, it dosn't matter what engine, hp is calculated the same way on every gasoline engine, and diesel too, so no matter the engine size cylinder number or layout the torque and hp will always pass at 5252 and the torque will be higher at lower rpm and the hp will be higher at higher rpms

Originally posted by tailgatewagon

sorry when i said JW, i ment JW4x4 i think was his name anyway a subaru guy(suposidly) that had lots of mods on his car he was from alaska or somthinganyway sorry JW i MENT the other JW4x4

So did I.. same guy. New improved board presence.

Originally posted by NoahDL88

Dennis, it dosn't matter what engine, hp is calculated the same way on every gasoline engine, and diesel too, so no matter the engine size cylinder number or layout the torque and hp will always pass at 5252 and the torque will be higher at lower rpm and the hp will be higher at higher rpms

my fault, i mis-understood when you were getting at...but yeah you are right.

Originally posted by Dennis ex24

we still have yet to see any real, honest proof of what hes claiming.

I don't think any of the http://www.homemadeturbo.com kids have made over 180 whp with a stock IHI off of one of the EA's.

The big ground-pounder cams, fancy valvetrain and headwork, and usual NA stuff range from counterproductive to marginally worthwhile when you're turbocharged. In forced induction, your power output is dictaded by your compressor wheel... if there is some restriction from an unported head, for example, you just make your power at a higher pressure differential. The only time you start fooling around with porting, cams, etc is when you have to increase VE to make more power at "less boost" because you're exceeding the pressure differential the compressor is rated for.

Anyway, who cares. Dennis ex24, do you remember a guy from Philly called Suby Dave? Drifts anything he hops into over blind hills and around off cambered turns at 70 mph?

Originally posted by Joseph Davis

I don't think any of the http://www.homemadeturbo.com kids have made over 180 whp with a stock IHI off of one of the EA's.

Anyway, who cares. Dennis ex24, do you remember a guy from Philly called Suby Dave? Drifts anything he hops into over blind hills and around off cambered turns at 70 mph?

nope, dont recall hearing of him...is he on iclub?

i dont think anyone can make over 150whp with the stock turbo, theres just no way unless im missing something.

75 more hp at the crank and I can do what Dennis said cannot be done....:burnout:

Just messing, but Id still like to do that.

I do have ideas...the cams, crossover and down pipe, smoother intake piping, and turbo to throt. body piping...oh, a secret I stumbled upon, XT6 throttle body, and....well....what else is there...maybe an IC would add 5hp at speed...but i dont know about all that IC stuff yet, i need to do some studying on that.

its BIGGER! But it wont bolt up to a stock intake. I dont know if it a direct bolt up to a spyder intake yet, Ive got some I will try it with, but Ive not had time yet. I also have a free EJ22 i am playing with that I got from the same place. :D