Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cold weather mechanics club....

I outta start a club for people who've worked on soobies outside when its colder then -25F. Its -40F right now and I just got done with the 10 minute timing belt swap... broke my right side belt... thats what I get for using belts found on the floor at the shop.

Hey, it's like 34 degrees here right now, and I just got done messing with the disty and changing plugs, does that qualify me?;) -lol- My parents say I've got to be either one of the best mechanics they know or the dumbest, because I'm the only one around here(Wichita Falls) who will go outside in the flippin' cold to complete a job concerning a car. I just hate starting a project(even in the cold) and leaving it half finished.

I outta start a club for people who've worked on soobies outside when its colder then -25F. Its -40F right now and I just got done with the 10 minute timing belt swap... broke my right side belt... thats what I get for using belts found on the floor at the shop.

imagine removing all that plastic. it would probably break off in that cold!

:grin: go open belts

Yeah, but when those are not a even a remote possibility like when the car you have to work on is in the middle of a parking lot, it's night, it's 30 something degrees out, and you have a 10-15mph crosswind on top of it all(And this really happened to me). Sometimes you just have to adapt. You just got to remember not to bundle up so much that you can't accomplish what you need to get accomplished.:lol:

When I had my car towed home the last time it broke, it was -40C and a blizzard. My dad was towing the car with his truck, and I was in the subaru, with 1 hand on the steering wheel and 1 with an ice scraper. I had to constantly scrape the window because it kept frosting up.

I don't know which I hate more though, fixing a car in freezing weather, or fixing it in the spring when I'm up to my knees in mud.

I don't know which I hate more though, fixing a car in freezing weather, or fixing it in the spring when I'm up to my knees in mud.

The mud is worse.... expecially if you gotta jack the car up..

wow -45 F this morning and I gotta go get my roomates brat to start..

Yeah, but when those are not a even a remote possibility like when the car you have to work on is in the middle of a parking lot, it's night, it's 30 something degrees out, and you have a 10-15mph crosswind on top of it all(And this really happened to me). Sometimes you just have to adapt. You just got to remember not to bundle up so much that you can't accomplish what you need to get accomplished.:lol:

30 degrees is nice n'breezy over here. i bet torxxx would be in a t-shirt! anyway im good til about 20 deg, once it gets around 15 its too cold for me. i can stand the cold for a while till my feet get too cold. steel toe boots dont help. a hat and gloves go a long way, and keeping the wind off you as well. wear sweatpants under the jeans and you will stay warm for a while

I found an electric wok at a yard sale for cheap. You know, one of those cooking bowl thingys. It has an adjustable heat setting and a lid, so I put all my tools in there, adjust the heat just right and have heated tools. I've ruined the teflon coating on the wok, but its never going to be used for cooking anymore. The one thing I hate most about working in the cold is tools freezing to your hand. I heat up the arosol cans in the wok too, helps get them spraying again. Best winter tool I bought.

I found an electric wok...adjust the heat just right and have heated tools...

Never thought of that. Such a good idea it deserves a bump.

An old electric bathroom heater/blower with a windscreen works nice to cure underbody tar overnight at 30-ish.

Never mind that its 70 degrees warmer here than in Alaska. Makes my fingers stiffen up, my mouth gets so cold that words can't get out.