Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82T off road???

iluvdrt

Nope, Tex is carbed in the wagon. His RX is turbo'd.

Being that the turbo is extremely sensitive to heat up and such. It just isn't usually used. Most of the stuff we do includes mud somewhere. Get that into the radiator and you won't come back under your own power.

I run an oil cooler with a remote oversize filter and have my rad fan set up so I can cool things even if the thermo thinks it's not needed. With 29" tires I have to either work the clutch a fair bit or hit difficult obstacles with speed, 27" tires would be ideal for an ea82t for offroadin IMO. Other than some minor cooling issues the turbos are great, maybe a little less torque than a spfi but not much, and on the highway you will be able to pass or speed too.

Keep things cool and you'll have no prob's...

Lift it!!!

Oh yeah as far as boost goes, in 4 lo turbo lag is really not an issue cause you can stay within a good power band, without the D/R lag's a bit more of an issue tho'.

The power difference is negligable really, a few hp isnt going to make the difference between making something or not. Vanislru was doing just fine when we went wheelin in the forest behind my house. The 2500-3500 range is where you'd want to stay on a climb anyways.

I had a turbo wagon on 27s and watched vanislru's wagon go, and I would not hesitate to use a turbo motor for a 'wheeler. Its tons more fun when it comes to higher speed off-road stuff as well.

Well, I got a good deal on a wagon d/r trans (5 spd), so I am going to swap itin and lift it. The 27's everyone was talking about is what I had in mind. Either that or 28's. My concern was more with the mud and water hitting the turbo and the damage it could recieve should I hydro lock it. I know water doesn't like to compress in the engine, but how well does boosted water compress? Probably not very well either. I guess I will just have to keep her above the water.

Actually if you do get water into the intake the motor will bog heavily and the turbo will not really push it into the motor all that much, most likely you'll stall before you send any large amount of water in. I did crack the exhaust snailshell on my last turbo, but I don't no if that was from water immersion or not.

Overall I don't think they are any worse off than the N/A cars IMO.

Well, I got a good deal on a wagon d/r trans (5 spd), so I am going to swap itin and lift it. The 27's everyone was talking about is what I had in mind. Either that or 28's. My concern was more with the mud and water hitting the turbo and the damage it could recieve should I hydro lock it. I know water doesn't like to compress in the engine, but how well does boosted water compress? Probably not very well either. I guess I will just have to keep her above the water.

Hey, you got a turbo.... no need to wuss out on the 27" or 28" tires :) I spin 29"s just fine with a stock EA82 SPFI and 30"s "fit" :brow: