Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought an '88 loyale wagon quite a few years back after owning only domestics my whole driving life. I loved that quirky little car. unfortunately I moved from Albuquerque back to Iowa and the salt took the body apart. I now own three legacy wagons '94 auto 108k the son drives, '95 auto 140k the wife drives, and my '95 mt 191k just replaced the original clutch. Other than cv's, brakes, and an occasional CEL all have been great cars. Just the other morning black ice on a corner put two larger SUV's in the ditch while my wife drove right thru, she loves her subie! After driving her old Ford Exploder she feels less like the sube will roll over. If more people got out of their big gas guzzling SUV's we would be alot safer and save alot of gas. Go Subaru!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First subi- 86 gl wagon...owned from 125-195K

problems- none other than basic wear and tear items

distributor was the exception at 190K

2nd subi 1996 2.2 manual outback- bought last year with 125, now at 135k no problems

3rd subi 1997 GT sedan 2.5 manual with 140K

High mileage Subis dont scare me... almost better if you purchase them like I do...

from the original owners, dealer maintained, and at 120k(ish) they've all had the timing belt/water pump/clutch/seals... all the spendy maintenance items that wont need to be done again until after I sell my car. I've found that the 100K-120K relm is when you need to put $$$ into the vehicle... then they tend to go strong until many of those items come up again.

I've had my 92 legacy wagon now for nearly two weeks, and I love it to death. 217 000 km and runs great. Last week we got a huge dump of snow in a very short period, and cars were all over the place everywhere except my subie, which blazed through like the roads were dry with AWD and ABS. :D

Replaced the torn inner cv boot (joint fine), and soon to fix the exhaust leak (need moolah first). So far so good - this has to last me a while, so hopefully all remains well. I intend to baby this one. Probably change the ATF soon, along with the differential oil. Duobt it's been done in a while. Then in thre next couple of months I'll have the timing belt and all associated bits replaced.

Slightly concerned about the height adjustment button that intermittently flashes and only shuts off once I've turned the car off. However, there seems to be no leaking of air from the suspension, so I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I don't believe it actually raises the vehicle, but provided that is the only problem, I don't really care.

I was so enamored with my wife's 2002 WRX that I bought myself a 2004. Awesome cars and stoutly built, rolled one on it's side and the worst damage was one door had to be replaced. :lol:

I'm looking at a Legacy, or a Baja, if they move it to the new Legacy platform, next.

• 2 months later...
Heh, I have a friend that needs some repair work done on a couple of cars (A Mustang 5.0, and a BMW) and lives 50 miles away. Since I have a hitch on the car I went to U-Hual and rented a tow dolly, ans went out there to bring them back to my place to fix. The Mustang was a bit wobbly when I went over 50MPH, but there was not a lot of oputrtunity for that as I was bringing it back in rush hour traffic. . . Got a few "double takes" when people noticed just what was towing that beast. The car had plenty of power to pull it even over hills. Would not want to do that again until after I get new struts, however, because of the stability issues at speed. The BMW, being lighter, rode just fine with no stability issues at all, even with my bad struts (rear at least are shot). This was just annother case of my Legacy proving that she is a lot more car than most people can even imagine. . .

Or perhaps it is more proof that I'm crazy. . . :grin:

Well I just got rid of the two dead cars that I towed home to fix. they turned out to me more expensive to fix than they were worth. So I got a tow dolly again and traded with a friend for a working BMW that I'll give to the guy that wanted these cars fixed. After loosing two and a half workdays waiting for the guy to pick them up I went and rented the dolly and took them to him. He was in the car when I pulled them to his place and he was amazed that the Subie pulled these cars so well. On the modification front, an update is in order: I have added a "deflector" type airfoil to the top of my new liftgate (the original owner had no use for bodywork, and I needed to replace three doors and the liftgate, which now need to be painted), and it seems like the car has more "pep", or perhaps that is just my attitude. . . I do know that I got a few MPGs out of the deal, so that is all good. Only things left on the certain list are new struts and driving lights (not really needed, but a nice touch). If I can scrape the cash together, I'd like to put a sunroof in. Oh, and I'm closing in on 160Kmiles. . .

I see a lot of negative threads on this section of the message board. I though I would post a positive one.

We bought our 00 Legacy GT w/ 52k miles on it from the Original owner. Wasn't really actively looking for a car, but this came up and since I had done some unreverible body damage to the wife's 92 Legacy, I though what the heck. We just put on 8k, and it turned 60k the other day, no problems at all. Car drives terrific, and I love to open the slider and let the light shine it when I get to drive it. The other day I woke up in the middle of the night, and looked out at the driveway, and had to grin cuz it was a good looking car. Now, I wish we could have afforded a new WRX, but we have this almost paid off, we plan on driving it until we decide Lisa needs a Wagon.

I have been driving a 98 Limited Outback, bought it with known oil leaks, and am going to do a complete reseal. it has 113k miles on it, handles really well, far better than my G'mas 94 T-bird or my Mom's Mercury Sable. It feels solid and secure. I call it Black Dragon, cuz after I get off the Freeway it smokes out of the hood vent.

Anyone else enjoying their Newer Subarus?

i'm enjoying both of our soob's The '94 2.2. GX touring wagon we call the submarine for its towing power and comfort, since we use it mostly for towing a caravan-trailer from Holland to Italy and back twice a year, and my wife's '89 ECVT Justy for the fun of it. The Justy runs like a sportscar since we've installed a freeflow air intake on it.

The touring wagon has 273.000 k's on it and just had a complete distribution-overhaul. Runs as quiet and as new as ever.

We started with a 2WD 1.8 Legacy station wagon which has been pensioned at 250.000 k's, then bought the touring wagon and got the old justy from my father-in law. After a good clean-up of both engine and wiring harness the Justy runs just great with 105.000 k's and 1.0 liter.

My only problem with the older Subarus is that Subaru won't stand behind them. Other than that, they're great vehicles!
I know of no car company that "stands behind" any car more than a decade old. . .

I stand behind my Subie, and that is all that is needed.

It's unfortunate that so many people are willing to accept the fact that a company should not be expected to stand behind a 12 year old vehicle. I repeat, I've never had parts or service problems with a 1931 Ford Model A sedan or a 1966 Buick Special - and this is within the past 5 years. At 66 years old, I'm tired of doing my own repairs and it disgusts me that, no matter if you're willing to pay to have someone else work on it, the general consensus is that it's too old! Forgive me for thinking that we're going backwards - but it sure looks that way.

Hi all, just purchased a 95 subaru legacy awd. It is my first subaru and first awd vehicle ever owned and my 10th vehicle in my history of cars! I never thought about getting a subaru but for 700 bucks, I could not resist to give it a try. Odometer says 145K and it still drives amazingly smooth for an auto. So far, only 2 problems that I detect, one being that I have no hand brake and the other being that my fuel gauge drops to "E" whenever I have a half tank. So far, on the past 2 fillups, I've been getting faked out on why I'm only pumping in 8 gallons on a 14.X gallon tank! I guess I'll have to rely on the tirp meter and fuel empty light! ( assuming that works! hehe) Regardless, all thumbs up so far! -Ray

Hi all, just purchased a 95 subaru legacy awd. It is my first subaru and first awd vehicle ever owned and my 10th vehicle in my history of cars! I never thought about getting a subaru but for 700 bucks, I could not resist to give it a try. Odometer says 145K and it still drives amazingly smooth for an auto. So far, only 2 problems that I detect, one being that I have no hand brake and the other being that my fuel gauge drops to "E" whenever I have a half tank. So far, on the past 2 fillups, I've been getting faked out on why I'm only pumping in 8 gallons on a 14.X gallon tank! I guess I'll have to rely on the tirp meter and fuel empty light! ( assuming that works! hehe) Regardless, all thumbs up so far! -Ray

You will also find that they have a highly devoted (some would say fanatical) following that can help you with any troubleshooting that you may need to do. For example, is the hand brake just loose or is it completely inoperative? if it is just loose, there is a drum brake inside the rear disk that acts as the hand brake. This can be adjusted by removing the rubber plugs on the inside of the rear hub assy and using a screwdriver to move the adjuster up or down as needed. I find that turning it until the wheel is hard to move, then backing it off bt three strokes is a good setting. As for the fuel guage, I'll bet your fuel sender is just dirty, and needs to be cleaned (yes they are reparable). The instructions differ if you have a wagon or sedan, so we'd need to know which one you have to give good directions. Either way it is a pretty easy fix.

You will also find that they have a highly devoted (some would say fanatical) following that can help you with any troubleshooting that you may need to do. For example, is the hand brake just loose or is it completely inoperative? if it is just loose, there is a drum brake inside the rear disk that acts as the hand brake. This can be adjusted by removing the rubber plugs on the inside of the rear hub assy and using a screwdriver to move the adjuster up or down as needed. I find that turning it until the wheel is hard to move, then backing it off bt three strokes is a good setting. As for the fuel guage, I'll bet your fuel sender is just dirty, and needs to be cleaned (yes they are reparable). The instructions differ if you have a wagon or sedan, so we'd need to know which one you have to give good directions. Either way it is a pretty easy fix.

Hey Gnuman, r/e the hand brake, best way to describe it is that I pull on it, it offers no resistance, and if I was put my car on neutral, the car just slides whichever way gravity goes! hehe! I'll definitely get both the fuel sender and hand brake checked even though they are not rush jobs being the car is an auto and I can always use my trip meter to determine how much gas I have left!

95legacy--get used to resetting your trip meter every fill up! A totally inaccurate gas guage is the only flaw in my otherwise "perfect" '95 Legacy. After years of frustration I pulled the senders, cleaned them and reinstalled.

A bit better, but nowhere near accurate.

95legacy--get used to resetting your trip meter every fill up! A totally inaccurate gas guage is the only flaw in my otherwise "perfect" '95 Legacy. After years of frustration I pulled the senders, cleaned them and reinstalled.

A bit better, but nowhere near accurate.

thanks Olnick, hehe, guess I'll live with it! so far, it truly is a great car for the price and perfect for work commuting! bring on the snow!!

• 2 months later...

Time to bring this thread back from the grave. . .

I just got back from a cross-country trip (SF to LA, then Albequerke, NM, then Mt Pleasant IA, then chicago, then Wasington DC, then NYNY, then boston, then home. 1200 miles in all) and I had no problems on the trip, except that the rad cap was worn out, and I started getting coolant smell. What was right, however, was that this 14 year old NA 4 cyl wagon will still make and hold 120MPH in rolling hills, and I never had to downshift for any of the hills, except when traffic slowed me down too much. THat is including several mountain ranges. Oh, and by the end of the trip I was getting on the order of a high26 to a low 27MPG at altitude. This car has proven itself so well that I will probably never own any other brand of car again. Ugly grille or no, Subaru's rock! (I don't buy them for looks anyway. I buy them for hows they are made.)

(SF to LA, then Albequerke, NM, then Mt Pleasant IA, then chicago, then Wasington DC, then NYNY, then boston, then home. 1200 miles in all)

Gnuman--must have been a fantastic adventure, and proof that the earliest Legacies are perhaps Subaru's finest efforts.

You might want to check that odometer, however!!!

All the best to you.

You might want to check that odometer, however!!!

Oh the odo is fine ( I did check it, on the trip). My typing, however. . .

12000 miles for the round trip. 3K just on the return from Boston. . .

Talk about versatility! the car handles like a sports car (and has the top end to go with it), and after a days worth of driving, I pull into a rest stop and flip down the seatback pull out my sleeping bag and take a nap in the car. In that it is AWD, I spent some of that time on unpaved roads in the rain. . .

Took it to a hand car wash one day and this Land Rover pulled in behind me. . . I'll bet my car had more mud on it than the LR had ever seen in it's life. . . And yes I use it to pull stuck 4X4's out of the muck when it is needed. . .

Oh the odo is fine ( I did check it, on the trip). My typing, however. . .

12000 miles for the round trip. 3K just on the return from Boston. . .

Just funnin' with you, Gnuman. I really envy you the road trip. Shoot, if I drive more than an hour in one direction I'm all wet!

One of my greatest joys is getting loose for a few days on the mainland and just driving off the beaten path. Last year after my daughter graduated from college, we helped her buy a '92 Legacy sedan, AWD 5MT, then proceeded to put a thousand miles on it--backroads all over Washington state. Up the Sagit River valley, over the top, stopping at every scenic point and marveling at the beauty, then down to Grand Coulee and on into Spokane. Ahh, the wonderful memories!

Keep smiling . . . keep enjoying.

I have a '95 Legacy Sedan that I got last July, and have put 13,000 miles on it so far. Other than a water pump and a CV boot, I have had no problems whatsoever. It drives great, and has the smoothest, quietest engine out of all of our Subies. (Tip: never underestimate the significance of new sparkplug wires and other minor tuneup items... they make a HUGE difference).

My family is somewhat Subaru-obsessed; we've had a '86 GL 4wd wagon, and we currently also own a '97 Impreza Sedan and a '98 Legacy Wagon, both over 100,000 miles. My car actually has the fewest miles (94,500) of all of our cars. My younger brother inherited my Toyota Tercel (with 133,000 miles) , but by next summer he hopes to have enough money saved for a Subaru. We love Subaru's dependability, their unstoppability in the snow, and the fact that they are just more fun to drive than any other car.

We've been a Subaru family since the eighties, and plan to stay that way as long as they keep building great cars. We always change our oil at 3,000 miles, and take care of any major or minor issues right away. Finding a GREAT independent Subaru-specializing mechanic has been a godsend as well.

Brian M.

I just bought a 98 2.5GT wgn AT w/ 120k on it. I love it - a little problem with some torque bind, which was cleared up by an AT flush at Grease Monkey.

But the car is a thing of beauty - storng engine, dark green paint, tough charcoal leather, moonroof, CD. It is quiet at idle, it zips along the interstate at whatever speed I need it too, and the cruise locks in where I set it. This is the nicest car I have ever owned (better than my old 99 Camry LE V6 even!). I cannot wait for the winter to see what she can really do!!!

Question: Gnuman - what were you doing in Mt. Pleasant Iowa??? I grew up there and it is not typically on most people's "to-do" list when driving through SE Iowa???

Time to bring this thread back from the grave. . .

I just got back from a cross-country trip (SF to LA, then Albequerke, NM, then Mt Pleasant IA, then chicago, then Wasington DC, then NYNY, then boston, then home. 1200 miles in all) and I had no problems on the trip, except that the rad cap was worn out, and I started getting coolant smell. What was right, however, was that this 14 year old NA 4 cyl wagon will still make and hold 120MPH in rolling hills, and I never had to downshift for any of the hills, except when traffic slowed me down too much. THat is including several mountain ranges. Oh, and by the end of the trip I was getting on the order of a high26 to a low 27MPG at altitude. This car has proven itself so well that I will probably never own any other brand of car again. Ugly grille or no, Subaru's rock! (I don't buy them for looks anyway. I buy them for hows they are made.)