Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82t or EJ22?

ej22 has about 130 stock horses and the ea82t would have to be meesed with a bit to get that figure. If you what to keep the ea82 box with the ej22 you will need to make or buy an adapter plate. I recon ej22 as you will have a faster car and they have allot of aftermarket stuff.

ej22 has about 130 stock horses and the ea82t would have to be meesed with a bit to get that figure. If you what to keep the ea82 box with the ej22 you will need to make or buy an adapter plate. I recon ej22 as you will have a faster car and they have allot of aftermarket stuff.

I thought the EA82t put out around 140hp stock?? and there seems to be a healthy EA - support / mod section on this board too. Still you need the wiring unless you're willing to spend another $800 on aftermarket engine managment. For a bug - the EJ is significantly heavier and will make the front end light - whereas the EA is little more than a 1600 air cooled weight wise.

I thought the EA82t put out around 140hp stock?? and there seems to be a healthy EA - support / mod section on this board too. Still you need the wiring unless you're willing to spend another $800 on aftermarket engine managment. For a bug - the EJ is significantly heavier and will make the front end light - whereas the EA is little more than a 1600 air cooled weight wise.

The stock EA82T depending on the years, was around 115hp stock. There's a fellow on the board I believe is subyrally, has an EJ22 in the back of an old bug and he says it friggin moves...

36_11_6.gif Boy don't we all wish. Caboobaroo is correct.

If you go the EJ22 route, why not use the EJ series tranny too, unless you just have to have D/R, then the only thing you'll need to do it modify the rear piece of a Legacy tranny mount and get the front driveline shortened 55mm. I personally think the with the extra torque of the EJ22, the D/R isn't needed. I'm still trying to find a source in Japan for the EJ series D/R trannies, seems like they have them a lot in Europe, but it is easier to get parts shipped from Japan.

Excuse me, I didn't notice the you were in Whales, the EJ series D/R should be readily available there.

USDM EA82T puts out ...

85-86 = 111hp

87+ = 115hp

However, I notice you are not in the US..EDM EA82T I have been told is 136hp

Firstly habib99 yes Wales UK in Bridgend to be precise.

I would rather wire up the EA82t as the extra wieght is not an option as this is a custom car and needs to handle as well as it looks so any extra wieght at the back is not desirable. ;)

BTW Habib you know anywhere round here I can get to make a new wiring loom from all digrams I have?

hey nero, i havent got my scanner working yet, but i did the ea82t swap and the wiring really isnt that difficult. some more plus's with this set up are that the intake is really easy to plumb and the turbo is easy to relocate. its not really that much wider than a stock vw engine (maybe 3 inchs) and its definatly no longer or taller. if yu end up going this way feel free to email me at tyrelneufeld84@hotmail.com Cheers Ty

The stock EA82T depending on the years, was around 115hp stock. There's a fellow on the board I believe is subyrally, has an EJ22 in the back of an old bug and he says it friggin moves...

:lol:

i wish that was me, i think it is nug that rocks that out. i only have the impreza and 86 rx.

I'm just north of newport :)

As it happens -im putting a EA82t in a vw based kit -356 replica.

Have you got the ecu and plugs to fit it and the other sensors that are on the inner wing? I dont think they're all vital but good to have them.

I've got a wiring diagram with some bits crossed out which I apparantly 'dont need' but ?? I havnt done it yet and am nervous about the wiring.

If you decide to go EJ then fancy flogging the EA to me? :D If you stick with the EA then I'm sure we can help each other out with wiring as we go along.

Did you get any good advice from dneufeld -if so anychance of posting it to me? hc@behi.wanadoo.co.uk cheers.

otherwise -you're welcome to come over anytime to check out the project -I wouldnt mind seeing yours at some point.

see around,

Habib

oh yeh -good result Yesturday -my voice is a bit sore now though. :banana:

oh yeh and glad to hear that without gubbins its more like the 140 mark

an ea82t is a much better choice for a vw transplant, the ej N/A engine has alot more "snap" to it right off the start which is what tends to fry weak vw trannys. and as far as weight goes the ea and vw 1600dp are really close dry wieght. you will have to brace the frame horns and also support the engine. DONT JUST LET IT HANG OFF THE TRANNY!!! the extra torque twists everything and will end up braking alot of parts cheers -Ty-

I bought a brace contraption to hold the frame horns to the top of the shock absorber towerv -to prevent wheel hop, but was planning to just it hang on the tranny -as the 1600 does thought I'd get away with it - but I think I get you -its the twisting that is an issue -wont take much to knock up a rear brace/support I suppose -just another thing to do :rolleyes: then again I've got a beefed tranny coming so should take the power ok.

nsane']whats the difference? which is heavier?

The EJ is much heavier. I haven't weighed them yet, but there was a thread a couple of days ago discussing the weight of the EJ for shipping; guestimates were around 250-300 lbs (114-136Kg). I can easily lift an EA82 but have great difficulty with the EJ unless it is in a wheelbarrow (better handholds).

(Oh, and I mean that I can lift them off of the ground or a bench, not up over my head. )

EA81s are even lighter and easier to lift and carry.