Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Switch to Hatch or Limp on?

MorganM

I'm having trouble making up my mind. Would appriciate comments from anyone who's owned both a hatch back and a late model GL wagon.

On the one hand I have the Poopenvagen (1988 GL) setup for trail riding. There is 5 years of work and fun into it. The unibody has about two or three seasons of realistic offroad usage left in it. Right now registration is due, front breaks are beyond due, both ball joints are way beyond due, and atleast one wheeel bearing has to be done.

Now on the other hand I can get a cheap hatch back; but I have to buy it soon or it will be gone. I'd part out my wagon, swap over what I could, and sell what doesnt swap over. The hatch will need atleast a 4" lift (preferably 6") since my 3" BYB for an EA82 lift wont fully swap over to it. I'm sure some other minor maintanace issues will need addressed on it; which is fine by me.

Reguardless of which I offroad next season; I'm doing an EJ22 swap this winter. I want the power and reliability of the EJ22 and I have the means of accomplishing it; with some help from friends ;)

What say ye?

ps: I put this in Offroad section becuase this will be strictly an ORV toy; not a daily driver, but it wont be a trailer queen so it has to get me to and from the trails.

That souds like a tough call to me. If you have the money and the time I would say get the hatch. Plus the hatches are cooler than the wagons. If you don't have much money or time I'd say keep the poopenvagen. Whatever you decide good luck.

It was my understanding that putting an EJ22 into an EA81-class chassis was tough as the frame rails are closer together on the EA82-class chassis.

Correct; EJ22 is my main objective for next season.

Pretty sure it fits without mod'n the unibody. Subarino didnt mention anything about modifying the unibody to make room for an EJ22.

149894525tgzHWq_ph.jpg

I'm just wondring if the work required to do a hatch would justify a shorter wheel base and lighter rig vs EJ22 swap into my wagon and fix whats ailing it.

i think you need a toyota tranny/tcase, 22r and solid axles...

the ej will fit easier than an ea82, and way easier than a er27.

um... note morganms avitar... that wagon is thoroughly beat.=]

after one more winter, its gonna be even flexier.

Althought I may have implied it, I didn't say it wouldn't fit :), just may be REAL tight. Ratty2Austin and other have done it; and may be good resources for problems.

If you are gong away from EA81, going to EJ22 sounds good to me. The hatch also sounds like a good offroader from what I have read. (Man, my b*tt is getting bigger... why?? Oh, yeah, i am reading instead of doing!!! :grin:)

ok, how bout this, if were building an adapter plate, why not mate the ej22 to a toyota tranny? super duper gearing!

i just think with the toyota stuff, it would be almost as easy as building a lift under the thing. just as much cutting and welding. but more bigger better cooler meaner...

I'd say go to the hatch, the poopenvagen is tired and old. I parted out my '85 for less...but then again I have a loyale in need of D/R 4WD.

we have austin here in town for help in putting an EJ22 in an EA81 hole.

I'd love to help, if I'm in town (xmas break maybe), there's still some value in the parts on the wagon, take advantage of that and upgrade.

ok, how bout this, if were building an adapter plate, why not mate the ej22 to a toyota tranny? super duper gearing!

i just think with the toyota stuff, it would be almost as easy as building a lift under the thing. just as much cutting and welding. but more bigger better cooler meaner...

Its more than putting a Toyo tranny in there. Then Id have to mount a diff up front; that's a minimum of 6" lift. At that point I might as well be doing solid axles. Again more than I can do before next season. Last thing I want to do is spend half or all of next season finishing my ORV. Hatch + 4" or 6" lift + EJ22 swap will be plenty of work.

Morgan,

the guy who just bought my 87 wagon, also owns my old '82 Mountain Grizzly wagon, and he wants to sell it....

he just put in a new steering rack, and is in the process of putting in a tranny he got from me....

it's got the 3" byb lift kit already on it, and about 140k on a hydro lifter ea81 w/weber.....

not sure what he'd want for it....

Morgan,

the guy who just bought my 87 wagon, also owns my old '82 Mountain Grizzly wagon, and he wants to sell it....

he just put in a new steering rack, and is in the process of putting in a tranny he got from me....

it's got the 3" byb lift kit already on it, and about 140k on a hydro lifter ea81 w/weber.....

not sure what he'd want for it....

I'd love to get Mtn Griz; that is a hot wagon. He doesn't even need to say what he want's for it; out of my budget :( Plus I'm going EJ22 :brow:

My two cents on the whole thing. :) Hatchs are cool, but if you have a wagon and its already lifted then it's worth fixing. I put about $1,700 into mine just in general repairs but that should last me the next 5-10 years no problem. That is also a complete body work and paint job on it plus wheels and such that you already have. I am still missing the lift, but it will come.

Morgan,

Do the math!

Total your costs on getting your current lifted wagon back to a safe state. $$$

Total your costs on getting the hatch + lift + fixes to a working state. $$$

Subtract the $$$ gained from parting out your lift and other stripable/sellable parts.

See what make the most sence.

Once either vehicle is up to speed, you could assume both vehicles will need some repair work in a couple years anyway from general wheeling. So don't figure that into your equation.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Trailer Queen!

01 Forester--Not Trailer Trash.

Morgan,

Do the math!

Total your costs on getting your current lifted wagon back to a safe state. $$$

Total your costs on getting the hatch + lift + fixes to a working state. $$$

Subtract the $$$ gained from parting out your lift and other stripable/sellable parts.

See what make the most sence.

Once either vehicle is up to speed, you could assume both vehicles will need some repair work in a couple years anyway from general wheeling. So don't figure that into your equation.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Trailer Queen!

01 Forester--Not Trailer Trash.

I just ran the math. Its about $100 difference; in the hatch back's favor. However time is money; a lot more time is going to be involved in building an offroad hatch vs repairing my wagon. I didn't factor in the EJ22 swap for either one as I figure its about the same price.

Ive decided....

Sticking with Poopenvagen and going with an EJ22 swap for my winter project. Drop dead date on this will be April for the MN4WDA annual offroad event.

Hopefully we can get more than two Subaru's at a time up at Gilber this year! :brow:

first i'd look at which would cost more to do.

if by chance they cost the same or close,then would you be willing to go through all the work to get the hatch to were you want it.(being a subie,i think alot of us would)

just make sure you think about it hard and don't just jump into it.i'm always make those kind of decisions and i'm still kicking myself for it.(traded in my ol'92 legacy wagon for a silly 2wd dodge avenger)

:banghead: