Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gee, I guess you work at Autozone.

No, that is just a convienient place to look up easily findable information.

1stsubaruparts.com did not give a part # but they charge $4.50 or so for it. When I drop into an AutoZone, I grab a Bosch 3310 filter which is also the one for your car.

Having just re-ordered filters for my '91 Legacy and '97 Impreza, I just got 6 from www.1stsubaruparts.com for $4.50 each plus tax and shipping. I always try to order filters along with other parts to defray the $5 cost for shipping. Part number for my cars is 15208AA060; order the drain plug gasket also (p/n 11126AA000) for 31 cents each.

I put nearly 450,000 miles on a Chev. Malibu using Fram, and I have nearly 300,000 miles on my Subaru now, using Fram. I did replace the Subaru engine at 288,000 miles because the timing belt idle came apart and valves got into pistons. So what is wrong with Fram?

go to NAPA, their filters are WIX, the better of the filters out there.

avoid FRAM at all costs, bad things can happen...

Is Fram that bad? ....And why?

I personally don't think that Fram filters will harm your engine, especially if you change both oil and filter regularly, however; you can't go wrong with OEM, so why bother with some other brand? I buy them 6 at a time from the Subaru dealer and get a price break. The thing that really annoys me is price of the washer - why are they so expensive?

I personally don't think that Fram filters will harm your engine, especially if you change both oil and filter regularly, however; you can't go wrong with OEM, so why bother with some other brand? I buy them 6 at a time from the Subaru dealer and get a price break. The thing that really annoys me is price of the washer - why are they so expensive?

Uh.. The washer doesn't come with the filter??????

I dont think I ever changed the little washer on the drain plug, and it has never leaked, I dont even remember for sure if it had one, and that is with around 60 oil changes. I have just lately put the Fumto valve on, and Iam not real confident with it.

The filter comes with an o-ring seal, of course. The washer for the oil drain plug must be replaced with each oil change, as it is a crushable washer. If I remember correctly, they were $1.10 apiece at the dealer.

Oh. Makes sense. I have a loyale, so how would I know if it's leaking anyway.... :grin: It does look like the crushable washer type now that that I think about it. I've never replaced it.

• 3 years later...

i know im bringing up a old topic but instead of buying the washer everytime, i just got one of those quick flow tips that is just a valve that you can open or close to let the oil out.... sooooo much less mess and hassle when changing the oil. just put a old one gal milk container (usually little more than one, or an old windshield wiper bottle ) and there you go!

i know im bringing up a old topic but instead of buying the washer everytime, i just got one of those quick flow tips that is just a valve that you can open or close to let the oil out.... sooooo much less mess and hassle when changing the oil. just put a old one gal milk container (usually little more than one, or an old windshield wiper bottle ) and there you go!

I have heard of the quick flow tips, what is it officially called, where is it sold, how much is the cost. Thanks for any info.........Rooster2

I dont think I ever changed the little washer on the drain plug, and it has never leaked, I dont even remember for sure if it had one, and that is with around 60 oil changes. I have just lately put the Fumto valve on, and Iam not real confident with it.

From the Fumoto site:

"Warning! For users under extreme conditions: If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip as shown below be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at any hardware stores, will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times."

The hose clip size is 5/8". Between the locking mechanism, and the hose clip, the valve isn't going to open. If you hit something hard enough to break the valve off, chances are the oil pan is going to get wrecked too.

I put nearly 450,000 miles on a Chev. Malibu using Fram, and I have nearly 300,000 miles on my Subaru now, using Fram. I did replace the Subaru engine at 288,000 miles because the timing belt idle came apart and valves got into pistons. So what is wrong with Fram?

I have used a lot of Fram filters over the years, but have read and heard enough negative to shy away from them. One mechanic told me that he saw a Fram oil filter that had come apart, and leaked oil badly.

I made it a point a couple of years back to cut open a Fram filter. I was not impressed with what I found inside. There wasn't much filtering media, and the filter didn't look well made.

I saw a report that had been published on oil filter performance. All Frams, except their top of the line, were not rated well. Wix came out the best, Purolator, was just so so. If I can find the oil filter website, I will paste it on here.

I've had the Fumoto for about 5 oil changes so far (2 years). It comes with the clip. I did have to buy a couple different washers to make everthing line up properly and be tight. even with the skidplate, I can change the oil in about 15 minutes (including drain time and filter change). the opening is just (and I mean just) above the hole in the skid plate that I cover with duct tape. Now, I wouldn't rallyx with the valve without a spare sump and oil supply on board.

oh, OE subaru filters because they are designed for their position in subarus and because I have a subaru. I have used M1 filters with I used all Mobile 1 oil though.

edit: I believe Purlolator makes Subaru oil filters.