Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crashed the impreza...

Ratty2Austin

we went offroading at flatfender farms in WI, and it was slick... I slid into a tree sideways (not drifting, it was sliding downhill into the tree when i was trying to drive up!) and the next thing i hear, *boosh* there goes the glass on the rear door!! :eek:

but I went to u-pull-r-parts and got a new door and now its better!

although, i have one power door, and 3 manual :lol: not to mention, this one needs some color ;)

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

it was a harsh day offroading, the mud was so slick, and the whole "park" was on a hill, so once we got down, we could not get back up (even the jeeps and chevys with boggers :eek: it was nasssty.... makes EC 311 look like a beginner trail!

but now I know what my imp needs for sure- a low range!!!

we went offroading at flatfender farms in WI, and it was slick... I slid into a tree sideways (not drifting, it was sliding downhill into the tree when i was trying to drive up!) and the next thing i hear, *boosh* there goes the glass on the rear door!! :eek:

but I went to u-pull-r-parts and got a new door and now its better!

although, i have one power door, and 3 manual :lol: not to mention, this one needs some color ;)

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

it was a harsh day offroading, the mud was so slick, and the whole "park" was on a hill, so once we got down, we could not get back up (even the jeeps and chevys with boggers :eek: it was nasssty.... makes EC 311 look like a beginner trail!

but now I know what my imp needs for sure- a low range!!!

nah, you just need some skinny mud tires. the last slick mud like that I was on at castana, my skinny little mudders did great, as did the other guys with skinnier tires, but the big swampers just slid all over the place.

and there was a sami/jeep there, but it was geared for rocks, and he couldn't get enough wheel spin to clean the mud out....

You scared me there!! I thought you'd gone and hit a minivan or something...

I was looking at some of the pics from there, and man, it looked scary, my car just isn't up to it yet.

how'd the rubicon do?

it's ok, you needed to redo the paint on that side anyway :D

if you just pushed it out and put in the window, the stripes and paint would have still lined up, plus the dent gives it character:lol:

i `m sure you`ll have it looking good again in no time.wish i had places to go off-roading legally, i just got my liscence suspended:banghead:

I'm glad you came out to Flat Fender Farms. Wish I could have got out there more quickly but I had to do faimly photos with the wife and kids.

It's usually a lot better down there. The snow melt made it just nasty. I was riding along in a 1st gen 4runner on 38.5"x14.5" TSXs, dual T-cases, and locked front / rear.... I had to run winch cable twice on one trail; so yeah it was messy! It was a sick trail though; nobody else in the group could do it. That fullsize Blazer on 39" boggers tried but he was just too big; hehe... poor full sizes th_dawg.gif

Hopefully duder in the stock Rubicon didnt get scared off of offroading permanatly by the sloppy weather. Heard he took a dent in the bumper and wasnt happy at all. I know he'd have more fun on a dry day there or up at Gilbert where you can start on some bunny trails. Everyone loved the Subaru though; many cheers and laughs at the BBQ after the trail ride. Scratch was showing his pics of the day and when the Subaru came up the whole room shouted YEAH! :drunk:

Yes, you are right.... time for low range. There should be one in U Pull right now. Git-er-dun! If you are seriouse then you know we got the resources in MN to make it happen.

i got a dual range 5 speed, spare mpfi ea82, xt6 axles, and nuckles and stuff to make that happen.

haha that would be an easy way to get dr in a legacy/imp, with only about 25 hp loss.

sounds good- lets talk about doing the conversion! all I would need is the DR.. I can get the adaptor stuff ;) could you help me weld a mount in for the tranny? (to fit into my car) and could you help me out with the center driveshaft?- PM or email me... I really want to do this :D

sounds good- lets talk about doing the conversion! all I would need is the DR.. I can get the adaptor stuff ;) could you help me weld a mount in for the tranny? (to fit into my car) and could you help me out with the center driveshaft?- PM or email me... I really want to do this :D

I don't know the length difference you would have to compensate for in the driveshaft but I have heard that a Legacy/Impreza shaft will sleeve right over an EA82 shaft. You can cut it, put it in, tack it and then take it out again and finish welding. Some slight shimming would be necessary to get it perfect. Heard of several people doing it on the AUSubaru forums. Yes it's roughneck, but I think it would work fine if you were careful about it. You could have it balanced afterword too.