Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for a change?

I've had my 82 Hatch since it was a Pup.

I was just reading a post about timing belts.

I then put 2+2 together.:cornfuzz:

I don't recall ever having replaced my timing belt?

Is this a bad thing?

(Has 120K and will be a recreational vehicle from this point on.)

Thoughts, suggestions, insults?

Glenn, Whoops!

82 Hatch, likes it's new body....:wave:

01 Forester, hasn't had a belt either?:burnout:

So is a chain and gear going to need maint after 21yrs?

Or is it good for the long haul?

:cornfuzz: :cornfuzz: :cornfuzz: :cornfuzz: :cornfuzz:

I don't claim to know much about mechanics........

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming........:temper:

01 Forester, :burnout:

Well, if there was a chain it would probably need to be replaced. But there is no chain. Just gears. 2 of them, one driving the other. We could drive our cars into the ground with 500,000 miles on it, and the valve timing would be as dead on as the day it was set by the factory.

God i love the EA81's!

-Brian

Seems at though I have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that I don't know squat about my motor :banghead:

Now I have made a complete idiot out of myself, I think I'll get me one of them BIG cowboy belt buckles and go home now...... :moon:

Ashamed of my knowledge (or lack there of) while in the presence of greatness

Glenn,

82 Hatch, with gears and no belts....:D

01 Forester, Hey what about me? 39k?

Sweet82... dont take any offence from this post... we're just pickin on ya! :) All fun and games. To make you feel better, when i got my 1st car (my 1st subaru) i thought the engine was a 4cyl V8. I had no idea what a V8 really stood for, and I had no idea WHAT my car had.

Now you know :) And knowing has 1/2 the battle.

-Brian

Don't sweat it Sweet. That's why I started by saying I was going to be gentle. You do indeed have to learn somewhere. Why not from a bunch of computer nerds that you probably won't ever meet more than 5% of.

:lol: @ Brian... 4cyl V-8 :lol: That will have to become a classic.

hahahah :) I thought you'd all like that. You should have been in the car with me when I anounced that. A co-driver asked me what I had in the car (he was suprised in the power of the lil' 1600ccc). I stated that it was a 4cyl V8, and everyone in the car laughed at me and then started to question me.

Had to be there.

-Brian

We could drive our cars into the ground with 500,000 miles on it, and the valve timing would be as dead on as the day it was set by the factory.

Yeah - never even heard of anyone wearing those gears out. I suppose it's possible, but the block would wear out long before this, and cease to run.

Under normal situations, yeah, I would agree. BUT, it's not impossible to break down the workings of this system (as with all systems). I've shredded the teeth off one cam gear, and broken another one in half before. Still got them in storage some where, as battle trophy's. There is a reason that my Brat is on version 6.88, it's had 6 motors, and over 88 different little mods done to it. Of those 6 motors, 1 is the 2.7 in it now, 1 is the stock motor(in dry storage in pieces, a trophy), 2 threw a rod out the block, and 2 shredded the valvetrain.

The EA81 is a strong motor, but don't for a minute think it's indestructable (as I did).