Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going where no brat has gone before.. lol

well i was thinkin about doing something that noone has ever done to thier soob before.. it'll be the first..

my new brat has had some body work done to it already so its got primer patches all over the place..

there is very little rust that needs to be fixed..

now what i was thinking was since its gonna need a piant job, all the trim put back on after the rest of the body work and theres a local line-x place here (rhinoliner).

i was thinking why not just have them line-x the hole brat? in black of course.. then i can trim and put the chrome and everything else back on it..

i see some major benefits in doing this too.. 1. it will never rust again, 2. it cannot be scratched, 3 i will never have to wax it, 4 i can go through the woods to grandmas house and not mess up my new paint job.. prolly many more reasons too, lol..

what do ya'll think?

Only drawback I see, other than cost, it that it will cut your gas milage. Instead of the nice smooth paint, it will be like hauling an ugly rock through the air.

Only it wouldn't be ugly ;)

The other thing is, if you want to stop the rust all together, you are going to need it down to every panel inside and out! The whole underneth of the car too. For me, if I were to do it, it would take a week of lots of work cleaning...

But, if your up for it. It sounds great.

Sorry, but I can't imagine prepping a whole car for that process. One tiny pinhole and water gets in... then that stuff comes off in sheets. Trust me.

Didn't do the whole car... just the bed. One speck of wax, shiny paint. Sometimes even a really hot day in strong sun. Done. Not to mention keeping it looking even slightly acceptable.

Don't do it... I would rattle can it before that.

its a waste, not only you lose some at high speeds, it will get VERY heavy if you do it like that. its a first for a brat but I've seen people do it to other cars. my advice would be to rather than do that, take off all the body panels, get that latex mold making stuff and make some molds and then get yourself some plastic or fiberglass or carbon fibre or whatever you want to use, it will be lighter, more dent resistant, stronger, more easily reparable than if you rhinolined the whole car.

is it also kind of counterintuitive to want a car to look nice that you take out in the bush all the time?

it is definately worth rhinolning the underbody and the floorboard tho

well the brat is pretty much prepped as it is, no trim, chrome, nothing.. half the body has been sanded and primed already..

if i keep the brat, this spring / summer when its on the lift its getting a ton of undercoating under it as well..

its that or i get the rollon stuff from work, have it painted ($300 special from a friend) then rollon a bedliner and put it back together..

i'm basically lookin at the project as a low to no cost situation as well :grin: as far as the paint / liner goes hehe..

thanks for the input all :)

I've been thinking about doing this to my wagon for over a year. I don't know I don't know i don't know. I will do at least the bottom half, but I REALLY want to see pics if/when you get this done. I'm all for it. DO IT! Haha.

I Rhino'ed Summer and love it!

I'd avoid the spray on undercoating, besides being heavy,

they seem to take years to dry and if you brush up against it

your going to get tar on your clothes even after it's dry.

Spray on bedliners don't weigh as much and actually dry.

Many-a rock crawler are Rhino'ed, for the same reasons your talking about.

Good Luck,

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Summer

84 GL--Mad Max

01 Forester