Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The best 50 cents I've spent.

I've put just over 5000 miles on my current Subaru ('87 GL wagon). It has close to 200,000 miles on the odometer. I've replaced the alternator, fixed the blower motor selector switch and resitor pack, replaced a broken side window, changed fluids, filters and puttered on various other things. I have a few things still on the list: clutch is weak and I have a half shaft with torn inner boot. The oil pump needs sealed as well... I keep having the HLA ticking come and go. It appears to be a fairly clean Subaru overall though and I'm happy with my $700 spent. It is the cheapest Subaru I've owned so far.

Today I blocked off the air-injection-system valves with quarters. One side was missing the small plastic muffler so the car had a leaky exhaust sound. It was really loud. Now with the AIS valves blocked, it is really quiet. It sounds 100% better. No popping/backfiring sounds when revving the moter either. It sounds a lot smoother. I'm glad I did this, although I'm half tempted to just block off the exhaust ports and remove the AIS altogether as a step towards a 'cleaner' engine bay.

Thanks for the tip GD.

Tracy

Not sure who originated the idea of using quarters - I think Qman passed it to me. Great little trick to stop that backfireing on the cheap.

I cut the ends off the ASV pipes, and then use a flat washer as filler and weld it into the pipe end. Thread that into the spacer with about 1/4" of the cut pipe inside the cap so it will seal and you'll never see that whole mess again. Two 12mm bolts on either head will remove the whole darn system.

EA82's - the flange works the same - use a washer and fill it with a welder, then bolt it back in place. Instant block off plate, and near free if you can weld a little, and have an angle grinder.

GD

Just to add to this. If the nuts holding the tube to the ports don't want to break-loose, like on mine. Just cut the tube and weld/braize an allen head bolt into the tube. Sorry, can't remember the size bolt I used, but the head of it just fit inside the tube.

Oh man...

I heart that FJ40...

Wanna sell it?

I sold it once 12 years ago to pay for some medical bills... I was so bummed I bought it back from the guy a year later. I've had it for over 16 years. Believe it or not, recently, I've been thinking seriously about selling it and putting the $ towards a mid-size truck like a Toyota Tacoma 4-door. I will probably regret selling it but a more modern vehicle that gets closer to 20 MPG and will haul more stuff would probably be more practical for my family's needs. Tracy

I sold it once 12 years ago to pay for some medical bills... I was so bummed I bought it back from the guy a year later. I've had it for over 16 years. Believe it or not, recently, I've been thinking seriously about selling it and putting the $ towards a mid-size truck like a Toyota Tacoma 4-door. I will probably regret selling it but a more modern vehicle that gets closer to 20 MPG and will haul more stuff would probably be more practical for my family's needs. Tracy
Looks like I did have a more recent pic on my PC here at work: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=14332 You can see there's a bit of oxidation that needs buffed and I bunged up the front fender (goofing off one day). I used to drive it 40-50 miles every day but for the past 7-8 years it has done quite a bit of sitting... too bad really. I can't afford to drive it. I moved out to the country and fuel is too much $. Tracy

then buy it back a year later for more than you sold it for :lol:

LOL... Actually I made out okay the first time because the guy had become a friend (and still is to this day) over the course of the year. He sold it back to me for $2500 which is what I'd sold it to him for. He purchased a newer FJ40. On mine, he had put in a new alternator and battery, added seatbelts out of an Izuzu pickup and purchased a bikini top and soft doors for it. I got all that but he kept my new wheels and tires and sold it back to me with stock rims and tires (shoulda kept those dammit).

I keep mulling it over. It doesn't owe me a thing and would be really fun to restore some day. As Landcruisers go, it's really pretty clean and mechanically sound but it is a beast, it's slow, heavy, uncomfortable and gets bad gas mileage. Furthermore, there are less and less places to drive a four by four that is as capable as that one is.

I know I'd likely regret selling it... but is it just one more thing to complicate life? I'm really into simplifying. It might feel liberating just to sell the Landcruiser and my old boat and not look back. I can have as much fun hiking in the Tetons with my wife and sons as I can burning up fuel in my Landcruiser/boat and I don't need to build a shed to store my backpacking equipment in... it fits in a closet under my stairs.

Hmmmmm....

Sorry to get off-topic here.

Tracy

keep it, swap in a diesel, and run it on vegetable oil.

I've mulled over that one as well. The diesel engines were awesome. Mated to a transmission with a better gear spread like a NV4500 5 speed, I'd have an awesome vehicle (lots of $ though). It is a little bit hard to find a Landcruiser diesel engine in the states, although Toyota exported some diesel cruisers to Canada (they were called BJ40's).

As an aside, I saw an old guy in town awhile ago with a clean FJ40 Landcruiser. I stopped and 'talked shop' for a bit. I noticed His vanity plate said:

[ DYIN4ABJ ]

I thought he was talking about a BJ40 Landcruiser but he had a puzzled look when I asked and he just shook his head and said he meant the other kind of 'BJ'... LOL.

Tracy

hi, nice fj40, i have 3, 74,77,and a78. seems like no one wants to talk to me cause i have toyota in my user name i also have 2 brats thanks for reading, ps. belong to tlca. or been to tellico for wheelin ? john

Cool... I had two at one time but sold the one with the Chevy V-8. It was fun but the stock inline six is more suited to the steep, winding backroads I frequent.

I used to eat, sleep and drink Landcruisers. Then I moved out to the country, built a house and expanded the family. Alas, my Cruiser does a lot of lonely sitting these days.

Many years ago I was a TLCA member... good group.

My family has had a lot of good times in our Cruiser... my kids overheard my wife and I talking of selling it recently and weren't too happy.

Tracy

if you need a place to hide it ,well i have room.of course there will be papers to sign and other state stuff.like how do you give me a car for free and the taxes , bvut i think if you are having problems with selling it ,this is the only way to go about it....but i am willing to "babysit" it as long as you would like.:grin:

if you need a place to hide it ,well i have room.of course there will be papers to sign and other state stuff.like how do you give me a car for free and the taxes , bvut i think if you are having problems with selling it ,this is the only way to go about it....but i am willing to "babysit" it as long as you would like.:grin:

LOL...

I'm just suprised this off-topic thread has survived thus far and that I haven't been grilled yet for doing mechanical work without jack stands (in one of the photos I provided the link for, I'm rebuilding the wheel cylinders wtih a high-lift jack and no jack stands).

I'm getting the vibe from this thread that I really should just keep my Landcruiser. It's got me thinking. Thankfully, my wife is supportive either way.

Tracy