Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD Only Soob

fbh

Hi folks,

I'm planning on converting my EA82 to RWD only. Down here we don't get snow, so the pavement's dry all the time :(

In any case, RWD (Right Wheel Drive) generally drives a helluvalot nicer than FWD (Wrong Wheel Drive).

So the question I have is this: the tranny is a D/R 4wd 5-spd. Can I take out the front driveshafts and run it in 4WD permanently, thus making it RWD? will it be rugged enough to survive, say, if I were to stall the engine from high revs?

I'll probably be modifying the 4WD selector lever also to make it so it can't be put back into FWD (otherwise I'll lose power :clap:), and unplug/remove the 4WD dash indicator light, and just leave the low ratio light (I still want the D/R feature! :) )

what do you folks think?

I was running this setup in my '83 Brat w/ 4SPD D/R and it was AWESOME. RWD drives waay nicer.

Anyhow, yes your tranny can take it just fine as long as you are very careful that you never shift into 2WD when movingm, or else!

I constructed a plastic trim piece that stopped the lever from entering the 2WD selection. I was doing a lot of shifting between 4Hi and 4Lo and didn't want to take up shifting time by being careful not to select 2WD. You can get some sweet slides dropping into and out of Lo.

Good luck, have fun, and wear your seatbelt!

forgot about the search, sorry :/

I don't think it actually has a center diff...

i thought they had a center diff, but i've been wrong before. the XT6's definitely have a center diff and i've seen mention of swapping in WRX LSD center diffs on EA82 manual trans so i would think there's a chance it does. can't imagine how else they'd make it work. and the center diff is what gets fried if you tow an AWD soob.

if you have the PT4WD trans then maybe that's different, i'm not sure, but if it's FT4WD then i think it has to have a center diff.

When I was too broke to replace both broken front axles I would cruise around in rwd. Even if you dont get snow, rain might be a concern. I seem to remember my 86 wagon being really light in the rear. It didn't take much to break the back wheels loose. I know this is fun at stoplights, but it could be a safety concern.

its about time this topic came up. as far as your drivetrain parts, if you are just using this as a daily driver, a lot of stuff is going to break. the first thing you will want to do is modify your subframe so the differential and other parts dont wiggle around and break. i'm not sure about your diff lasting too long, so i would suggest the diff out of a rwd car such as a nissan or a toyota (reliable and somewhat cheap). over on http://www.kungfutouge.com/ there is a guy who converted his outback wagon to rwd. he's using a nissan differerential. the only problem with that is you have to have custom made axels. hope that helps.

LOL, true, true - this is Auckland - don't like the weather? wait 30 minutes :D

that's actually a now-famous quote by Augie Auer at the America's Cup races - on one of the race days there was no wind at all, and he's like "Oh, if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes", and sure enough, 10 minutes later there was a pretty good breeze going :D

Anywho - nope, not planning a drift car - just want to improve the handling a wee bit, it'll be a PITA to stop it from losing traction (already loses it quite easy just in FWD) but after driving my old man's RWD, I decided my next car's going to be a RWD as well :D

he's using a nissan differerential. the only problem with that is you have to have custom made axels. hope that helps.
depending on diff custom axles shouldn't be necessary. some nissan and subaru differentials are interchangeable, just have to swap the stub axles for the bolt on nissan stubs. those are interchangeable on the diff side so the axle stays with the vehicles.

nissan guys call our (EA series) 3.7 and 3.9 rear diffs R160 and R180, same differentials used in 80's nissans. only the stub axles differ and they are interchangeable. so really you have whatever you want with no axle change. if you want 3.7 or 3.9 get the subaru (or R160/R180 nissan designation of the same box) or the newer soob diffs of higher ratio if you wanted that for some reason. 4.11...4.44...

the R160 is the same rear diff used in the WRX and ALL legacys/imprezas, only difference is the gear ratios, so if you can have a modded WRX with 400hp with stock drivetrain handle it...i think the 80-90hp a N/A EA82 puts out with be okay.....now the tranny output gears on the other hand......will break. im going to try this in the summer when there is no chance ill need the 4WD for mud or snow. but i will have to be careful on the upshifts...

~Josh~

In any case, RWD (Right Wheel Drive) generally drives a helluvalot nicer than FWD (Wrong Wheel Drive).

I disagree 100% on this. I have driven many cars and with the older jap cars it is definitely wrong. FWD is better for handling in these old jap cars. My brothers 88 Mazda 626 turbo handles and accerlerates much,much better then his friends 8? Skyline, and the Skyline has more power (ft-lb and hp)...

This is what I have heard. RWD Brat drives almost the same as a it did in FWD, but RWD is worse on dirt roads.

The whole RWD, front handbrake thing sounds like alot of fun. And don't worry about breaking anything, I've heard they keep together quite well.

All that, RWD stuff, said - the best handling car I have driven is a mid engine RWD fiat x1/9. Such a pleasure to drive.

Ah yeah - I don't really mean nicer in terms of power etc, just that when you're accelerating/engine braking, torque isn't trying to steer the car, so the steering wheel permanently feels loose and you get better feedback from the road :)

I run 27's with no power steering. I have never had the car pulling more then comfortable while on road. I have driven some RWD cars, WITH power steering, that are worse then my subie.

But if you like RWD and over steer, and hate under steer, I can see why you would like it. I guess you americans are used to RWD anyway.

dual carbs and RWD... BURNOUTS!!! :D

depending on diff custom axles shouldn't be necessary. some nissan and subaru differentials are interchangeable, just have to swap the stub axles for the bolt on nissan stubs. those are interchangeable on the diff side so the axle stays with the vehicles.

nissan guys call our (EA series) 3.7 and 3.9 rear diffs R160 and R180, same differentials used in 80's nissans. only the stub axles differ and they are interchangeable. so really you have whatever you want with no axle change. if you want 3.7 or 3.9 get the subaru (or R160/R180 nissan designation of the same box) or the newer soob diffs of higher ratio if you wanted that for some reason. 4.11...4.44...

i guess i learned something today. :banana:

maybe this should have a section in the USRM? :brow:

But if you like RWD and over steer, and hate under steer, I can see why you would like it. I guess you americans are used to RWD anyway.

I'm not American - I'm to your east dude, not to your west :grin:

dual carbs and RWD... BURNOUTS!!! :D

Heh heh heh, not to mention the weight distribution of said wagon...

good burnout machine I'd reckon, light behind, RWD, front parking brake, dual carbs, low range... :D

Still, not that I'd do any of that stuff but it'd still be cool :brow:

to be honest, I really don't see any advantage beyond the sport value of burnouts of RWD - the car has a decent weight distribution for FWD, and with good, careful throttle control, you can do a heck of a lot more on curves with a FWD car than a RWD car (you can use the drive to "pull" the car through turns) - I have driven both types, and by far prefer FWD if I have to choose between the two (AWD/4WD for slick conditions is best, AWD is best period for street) the only thing that is aggrivating with FWD is when they put the engine in sideways :eek:

bottom line, don't do anything you can't reverse!!

tranny output gears should be fine if it is D/R - I know S/R trannies have sheared the output gears on people, probably because the vacuum engage didn't go all the way or something, dunno - it's been a while since the person posted the problem

good luck!!

to be honest, I really don't see any advantage beyond the sport value of burnouts of RWD - the car has a decent weight distribution for FWD, and with good, careful throttle control, you can do a heck of a lot more on curves with a FWD car than a RWD car

I have to disagree... give the tires one job and one job only. Accelerate or turn. The tendancy to overwhelm the front tires is MUCH greater if they have to be relied on to both accelerate and steer. Yes... you can trail brake, yadda yadda yadda, but there is a reason that all race cars are RWD.

If you can honestly tell me that you have never experienced throttle-on understeer in your Subaru at the limit, I will take back my post.