Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any Ideas? 89 Subaru GL Has an Owie

Hi --

89 Subaru GL 4-dr sedan, manual 5 speed. One owner (me); 149,000 miles. Was planning on getting estimate this next week for oil leak/gasket repair. Grr. Instead, something new cropped up in my "i don't want to get rid of you" Subaru.

Here's the scoop:

1. I noticed recently that when in 2 or 4th, stick shift vibrated so much that panel console was affected. If I kept my hand on stick shift or moved it in 3 or 5th, it was fine.

2. My son commented that he thought my engine sounded loud.

3. I began to notice that my engine sounded louder anytime I was pushing on gas pedal. Otherwise, purred.

4. Today, I had male friend take it for a drive. He is "strong." In other words, sometimes if I ask him to turn a knob, he ends up stripping it or it's so tight I cannot loosen. Anyway, when he returned here, he said that there was noise everytime he went from gear to gear **and** when he went into fourth, it ground and he could no longer get it into 4th. He drove it by bypassing to 5th. ( I wonder if he applied too much muscle; shifted too fast/too hard. Dunno. Probably just female nonsense on my part)

5. When sitting in my drive at idle, I can take it through all gears.

6. He took it to shop today -- Saturday. Help on hand there is inexperienced. Other shops all closed. I live in a small town of 24,000. Biggest town, 200,000, is 80 miles away. Nothing but wheat in between. They put it on rack with a fellow inside. They also drove it. Guy at shop said 4th is now a problem. When shifting into 4th, lots of grinding starts. He skipped to 5th. On rack, he said what confused him is that he heard rattling sorta sounds coming from each gear as shifting through but that the sound was coming more from the mid-back of the car not the front,where, he said, the clutch would be located. So confused.

7. Friend said transmission is obviously going out and cost would be very high. Time to junk car and get new one. He said he doubted anybody would buy it or take it on trade-in.

Comments?? (i'd prefer to fix and keep if it's fixable for reasonable dollars)

Cynthia Freyer

long-long-longtime Subaru owner

You should be able to get a good used tranny for under $100, either from a junkyard or from a board member.

A tranny swap on your car can easily be done in an afternoon by two people, or a day by one person, and you don't need any special tools.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, this is no reason to get rid of it.

So, the consensus, it appears, is tranny. Wow. What a forum. I cannot believe the fast response. In awe.

Car is front-wheel drive. Doesn't that mean it needs front wheel drive tranny.

Stupid female questions ( I can ask 'cause I'm female!)

** If it buy from somebody on board, my understanding is that shops don't usually want to install parts you bring to them. Yes? No?

** I cannot install. Yikes. I would love to learn how but I'm afraid I'd break my nails. You know how that goes with us female-types.

**So, at 8 hours in a shop at $65/hr (cost here), looking at $520 plus part cost. Guess, that's cheaper than the cars I've been looking at tonight.

**Anybody know any guys around the Pullman, WA/Moscow, Idaho area that could install?

**Can I drive it or do I have to skip church tomorrow? Guess, collection plate money will have to go toward car repair.

**If it was you, would you fix it? Even with the oil leaks? And age? 89?

So, the consensus, it appears, is tranny. Wow. What a forum. I cannot believe the fast response. In awe.

Car is front-wheel drive. Doesn't that mean it needs front wheel drive tranny.

**If it was you, would you fix it? Even with the oil leaks? And age? 89?

yup,we're quick ;)

well,just cause it is fwd now doesn't mean it has to stay that way.if it snows heavy in your area and if you can get the parts cheap enough to do a fwd to 4wd conversion.

(you'd need more then just trans to convert)

Perhaps you can get a tranny from a member here (try the wanted forum), and I'm sure another member would be willing to install it. I know that I would do it for you for $200 labor no problem, but I'm not real close. $100 for a FWD trans is a bit high as they are not very desirable. Maybe a case of beer, or $25 - the pull-a-parts in WA charge $100 for any trans tho from the yard if you pull it.

Also - with the trans out, the clutch is right there, and it might be wise to install a new or rebuilt clutch pack while you are in there. Just to avoid doing it again soon. Definately at least want to put in a new release bearing even if the old one is good. Should check and possible replace the rear main seal for the engine as well. Rear main is about $10, and the release bearing is about $25.

Converting to 4WD - while possible - is probably not something that a non-mechanic would want to go after. Seriously most people here on the board have never done it, and really are not qualified to tell you what all you need. From a labor point of view it's not terrible, but the list of parts you need to make it correct, and stock is fairly extensive.

GD

I've done the conversion as well - and yes, Miles has done it, along with some others.... it's still not something I would reccomend to anyone other than a mechanically inclined subaru nut.

While it may be worth it where you live, it simply is not here - there are tons and tons of 4WD EA82's to be had for cheap. I would sugest she swap her engine into a 4WD before bothering with a conversion on a 2WD.

GD

i agree i looked aty it and while not difficult looking it's a weekend project not a help me get the car running and you can definatly find a used tranny for under a hundred and i second replacing the clutch while you are in there

So what's an EA 82? And I guess that I should go now to the classified board and post an ad to see if there is someone close to me who can install a transmission, right?

There's no possibility it's something else?

Boy, I hope I can find a transmission. Off to post an ad.

If I want to junk yard (oh fun..how to get there?), how does one know if the tran in the junked car is one that should be bought???

You guys are SUPER!!! This is the best forum I have ever been on. I can't say enough thanks for all the conversation and help. I felt so alone until I got here! Wish there was a way to repay you guys for the help. I can edit writing! Create web sites! Oh well. Guess a thank you (HUGE) will have to suffice.:clap:

EA82 is your engine type.

Grinding going into all gears could be the clutch, but only one gear like that - almost certainly the transmission.

Most junk yards will give a 30 day warantee on tranmissions they pull and sell you - ones from the yard (you pull) are just a gamble. As for which car - you can use the 5 speed 2WD from any 85-89 Wagon, Sedan, or Coupe, or from a 90-94 Loyale Wagon or Sedan. NOT from a Legacy. There are lots and lots out there for you, so it shouldn't be hard. Likely someone in your area here on the board will have one tho - like I said they are not desirable due to most people wanting the 4WD.

GD

Oops ..one more question. How do I specify a transmission for this make/model? ..to make sure I get the right one? Will go with FWD. i'm fine with it.

POSTSCRIPT..I see answer now. posted this after reading reply. sorry.

If you were happy with your car before (and it sounds like you were), I wouldn't fool around with a 4wd convesion. It is a fairly major undertaking on that car, and you'll need a good supply of parts. Doesn't sound like the hayseed mechanics in your area will be able to handle it.

Also, as mentioned above, a 2wd 5speed should be an inexpensive score since no one wants them. And definitely do the clutch too while you are in there.

Yes, the car has some miles and is getting up there in age, but these repairs could get you another 50-100k if you keep the well car maintained.

good luck, John

Cynthia - would definitely get the tranny swapped and keep the car!!

149,000 miles is barely broken in! my 89 GL wagon, FWD 5spd has 228,000 and still going strong - oil leaks and all! :headbang: I bought her over 4 yrs ago for $150 at 142,000 miles and never looked back. This car doesnt owe me a dime - I owe IT!! (even after replacing clutch, both frt axles, timing belts, two alternators, new brakes all around and a total front end rebuild and re-alignment, and on my third set of tires!) need to replace rear shocks (hopefully today) and rotate the tires and she is good for a while.

I do most all of my own work (I am female also) but then again, I am not what many would call a "typical" female.;) I like wrenching and welding and all the stuff that most gals would leave to the guys. :-p

I hope you can find a decent tranny, and a reliable person to get it swapped in for you - would volunteer myself, but I am nearly 2000 miles away. definitely get the clutch & release bearing done while it is out, and wouldnt hurt to get the rear main seal taken care of as well, easy access while the tranny is out. It sounds like a lot of work to have done, but will save you aggravation (and $$) in the long run.

GOOD LUCK!

Before going to all the trouble of replacing your tranny, please check the fluids.

The tranny/front diff dipstick is on the passenger side and close to the firewall (back of engine). It a short stick and might be hard to spot at first. It takes a 80/90wt grease.

Hi everybody --

I have been looking online for a 2wd 5speed transmission. Questions:

1. Is there somewhere I can look in the my car to see if it is nonturbo or turbo? I think it's turbo but I'm not positive.

2. Can anybody recommend a place online to buy a rebuilt 2wd 5speed transmission for my 89 Subaru Gl 4-door Sedan?

3. Wouldn't buying from a junkyard just get me the possibiity of buying someone else's problem?

Great to see a woman is doing her own work. It's something I sure wish I had learned somewhere along the line. I fish and camp, though -- and don't mind bait or getting dirty in the woods. Guess that counts for something!

Thanks to everybody for the great advice.

Cynthia

Before going to all the trouble of replacing your tranny, please check the fluids.

The tranny/front diff dipstick is on the passenger side and close to the firewall (back of engine). It a short stick and might be hard to spot at first. It takes a 80/90wt grease.

Should it be checked hot or cold? How could the grease get out if it's a sealed transmission? <I know..stupid question...but I'm learning, learning, learning>

Well, icky old grease is now all over my acrylic nails. <ha!> Oh well! I found the dip stick, I'm pretty sure. I located one that is on the passenger side, under the hood, toward the back, low.. small stick. Pulled it out and wiped with towel. Stuck back in and repulled. Car is cold. It wasn't covered with lots of grease like I thought it might be. I've never seen one of these sticks so nothing to compare it other than my oil stick. All I know is that it didn't look like it was covered with much of anything...a little tiny bit of grease but not much. What should it look like? Like the oil dip stick when covered with oil...except covered with grease? If that's the case, then the answer is "nope."

if you pull out the tranny dipstick and whip it clean,you should see some etching/writing on it to tell you if it's full when cold or hot and when it needs trans gear lube.

wish i had a pic to better show you.

oh btw-do you still have the owners manual-it'll show you how to check it in there even with a pic.

it is nice to see a female that's not affraid to check her own cars fluids.i had the hardest time getting my sister to do anything except put gas in and drive her cars.