Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling all lifted rigs.. ground clearance ###'s

torxxx

Hey, leave KickAssFlash alone. He was not flaming. I see he is now looking for a Subie too. I once had a couple of Jeeps, but I came to the dark side. Can't say I ever had a Rustang though:D I had a Buick Grand National and a WRX....Mustangs were the ENEMY. They don't bother me now, I don't see too many of them on the trails.:headbang:

I like 'wheeling with Jeeps. Jeepers are some of the coolest people you will meet on the trails. I've had nothing but positive responses from them about my wagon. Plus, if you are in a Subie and you are 'wheeling with big Jeeps, you are in a no-lose situation. If you can't get over something they did, so what. It's a station wagon. BUT, if you get over something they cannot.......to them it's kindof like getting your @ss kicked by a 100 year old lady with a walker.

Hey, leave KickAssFlash alone. He was not flaming. I see he is now looking for a Subie too. I once had a couple of Jeeps, but I came to the dark side. Can't say I ever had a Rustang though:D I had a Buick Grand National and a WRX....Mustangs were the ENEMY. They don't bother me now, I don't see too many of them on the trails.:headbang:

I like 'wheeling with Jeeps. Jeepers are some of the coolest people you will meet on the trails. I've had nothing but positive responses from them about my wagon. Plus, if you are in a Subie and you are 'wheeling with big Jeeps, you are in a no-lose situation. If you can't get over something they did, so what. It's a station wagon. BUT, if you get over something they cannot.......to them it's kindof like getting your @ss kicked by a 100 year old lady with a walker.

+eleventy-billion

and KickAssFlash's mustang is quite possibly the fastest car I've ever ridden in, either that, or his brother's mustang......or my buddies ver 4 STi swap :eek:

He's at a dyno day this morning, and is going to pick up an '88 GL Wagon that needs some engine work this evening. Don't worry, he'll have that jeep sold in no time :headbang:

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, banter banter, slap slap..

Lets get back on topic and to the original question, hmm :rolleyes:

95 legacy L

with '97 outback struts and springs

205x75 14 cooper discoverer ATs

I'm ruinning 9.5 rear 8.5 front (custom skidplatecovers the pipes)

cat-back 2.25 pipe through a magnaflow, tucked high for improved clearance...

photo compares 2002 chevy silverado 2500 HD w/ 4" and 33s

given its running the HD rear diff (which gives it 8 inches at the pumpkin)

see, the main problem with all these comparisons with trucks and jeeps and stuff is; yeah, there's more ground clearance underneath because of the pumpkins. however no subaru will ever beat a truck's clearance at the center. AA's wagon comes close and i'm sure that it beats some, but it's not hard to find a truck that beats it.

see, the main problem with all these comparisons with trucks and jeeps and stuff is; yeah, there's more ground clearance underneath because of the pumpkins. however no subaru will ever beat a truck's clearance at the center. AA's wagon comes close and i'm sure that it beats some, but it's not hard to find a truck that beats it.

what? maybe a fullsize, but they're so long, they'll still get high-centered faster. it's awefully hard to get any clearance at the center with a divorced tcase. my exhaust hangs down pretty low, and I still have more clearance in the middle than my buddies wrangler on 35s.

what? maybe a fullsize, but they're so long, they'll still get high-centered faster. it's awefully hard to get any clearance at the center with a divorced tcase. my exhaust hangs down pretty low, and I still have more clearance in the middle than my buddies wrangler on 35s.

Never can tell. . . The pumpkins on my Toyota are at 10 1/2 inches, there's 17 under the transfercase mount. That's with 33s and only a 3 inch lift.

clearance.jpg

But. I took the last hatch I had and put it next to a Rubicon at the dealership. With a 4/3 and 27s, the hatch had more clearance all the way around. There was only 9 inches under the transfer case on the Rubicon. yeah. . . My hatch had almost 16 to the exaust in the center.

This is true. Subs may have more straight up clearance, but in real terrain suspension travel will be important, as well as gearing. Truck are going to take the cake there unless you tack a ton of mods into the equation for a sube...

Independent suspension generally has more ground clearance...solid axles generally have more suspension travel. Also, the amount of ground clearance you have is a function of tire size...I have yet to see a subaru with independent suspension on anything more than 31's. It all depends on what you are doing/how much you want to invest into a project.

Chux - we will again have to get out the measuring stick to compare clearance in the middle. I HIGHLY doubt our subarus have as much clearance in the middle as my YJ on 35's...because the diff clearance is identical...and I can fit a dang wheelbarrel underneath it.

Also, full size trucks may have alot of clearance in the center...but they have retarded long wheelbases. It pretty much cancels it out. However, if you have a shortwheelbase vehicle, like a Wrangler or Samarai, it generally requires that the wheelbase to be lenthened a little for stability on things like hill climbs. All wheeling rigs have their strongpoints and weakpoints.

But we all know...wheeling in a grocery getter > * :D

Just wanted to check with everyone with lifted soobs.

Funny how whenever a thread like this gets started, out comes the talks of jeeps and pics of Zap's Toy ;)

Finally found one of my multiple missing measuring tapes so here is what I have:

10-11" Below the exhaust/skid plate

11" Under the rear diff

86 Sedan, Moderate 4" AA Lift, 235/75 Tires.

Front:

clerance.jpg

Rear:

clerance2.jpg

Funny how whenever a thread like this gets started, out comes the talks of jeeps and pics of Zap's Toy ;)

Easy there. . . You'll notice I posted about the clearance on my Soob. I didn't bring up the truck till comparisons started getting made. Just for reference, hardly a pick of my Toy. You'll notice that in the next sentence I talked about another Soob I owned.

But I would like you to show me the other threads that make you say "whenever".

Easy there. . . You'll notice I posted about the clearance on my Soob. I didn't bring up the truck till comparisons started getting made. Just for reference, hardly a pick of my Toy. You'll notice that in the next sentence I talked about another Soob I owned.

But I would like you to show me the other threads that make you say "whenever".

Whoa chill Zap...you'll notice the ;) after that statement which meant I was just joking around. Wasn't trying to poke at you or anyone else. I can't make fun of any jeep or toy, there is chevy parked in driveway that's my real off-road rig. Just costs too much in gas to drive anymore.

LOL

Actually, that's my brother's girlfriend's. They lived in LA for awhile and rode them along the beach a lot. His (the black one) is really long like a limmo or something, the pink one has flower patterns for tread on the tires. lol

My bike is purple. :headbang: