Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rx intake

I want to put an intake on my 89 rx. I know no one makes one so im resorting to fabricating my own. My big issue is the Mass air flow sensor. are there any adapters that will fit this or any other alternatives??? Ive seen those MAF adapters at autozone has anyone tried these?

thanks

Mike

Originally posted by xforxlifex

I want to put an intake on my 89 rx. I know no one makes one so im resorting to fabricating my own. My big issue is the Mass air flow sensor. are there any adapters that will fit this or any other alternatives??? Ive seen those MAF adapters at autozone has anyone tried these?

thanks

Mike

just get a K&N panel filter and cut off the bottom of your airbox...

its a nice upgrade.. but a cone filter in the fender would be much better

detatch the air meter from the air box and trace around the meter. Then take your drawing to home depot and look for gutter / plumbing parts. I used a gutter end and a dremmel.

I had to space the tube end for the airfilter with a pipe coupler.

Josh

mine cost $4.99

and 15 min.

What is the reasoning for placement of the MAF before the turbo?

I just had a wild hairbrained thought! And really and truthfully wonderd about the systemic problems that might or might not be of issue by placing the MAF at the mouth of the intake AFTER the turbo (and once installed also after the IC)?????

Well folks any thing I'm not realizing with respect to air fuel ration and the like? Considering the ECU is running off the thirmal reading in the air and if its getting the data from after the turbo then wouldn't the reading be more accurate then before the turbo given the temperature differential?

Or am i just uttery forgetting a very important factor in internal combustion system dynamics?

josh long: I just went to home depot, couldnt find anything! Pics please...?

I remember talking to Mike W, i tihnk it was him, with his RX, before he sold it to subarutex? Anyhow, he said home depot or something. Storm drain flange.

Eh...me no find such thing as in those pics.

I dont wanna go thru Express again, i got the adapter for the GL-10. Its ok...but i'd never get one again...unless it was an absolute last resort.

So...we need some SKU (of whatever) part number from home depot, and stuff. Information gathering!!!!!!! I need to make some of these intakes up.

So............

Like I said, I'm not saying buy one, just pointing it out. Your post said "I know no one makes one", so I figured you hadn't seen it.

I'm lookin' to point mine the way of the fender-well, away from the engine bay.

I have a Sub-master certified mech. that I bring my car to, and he laughs at everything I tell him that I read here. I try to stress to him that with 85-90 hp, every little bit counts. :D

i cut off the mounting part from the air box, then welded a piece of exhaust pipe expanded to fit the diameter of one of those big cheap ricer cone filters.

and it sticks out of the hood like a jet engine!http://usmb.net/gallery/albun92/Oct21_53?full=1

no, tis is a rig if you havent seen one!

yes, that's sheet metal all down the side, and the "EA82" sticker aint lyin'! this was the last trashwagon, the one described in the signature! i drove the bizzle all the way out west, although the trip almost ended some 15 miles into the 2300 mile venture. but it only got back as far as idaho, because of my dumb A. its still there waiting for me

subaru%20trashwagon3.jpg

If i had a SPFI car, Id stick it out the hood.

BUT...im going to have a Spyder intake on the RX...so..im a tad limited. I guess I'll buy 3 or 4 of those adapter plates from express. Its not that bad for price when I order more than one...i spreads the shipping.

Wow, a trashwagon siting! BPD is looking for that thing!...j/k Miles!

Yeh, K & N panel and air box chop is easier!....although Toyofast seems to have mastered the cone filter approach....It has a nice look.

I cut the bottom of my air box and then re-installed....looks like water might get in there and ruin the filter...I will check on a weekly basis and report my findings. (93 Impreza)

Josh