Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trashwagon stranded in Fincastle, VA

Tim Hansen here checking in from the BA/BE rally. The Trashwagon never quite made it to the event proper; Fox blew the head gasket in Ohio and limped it to VA. The Camry wagon we've entered is doing fine but we need to come up with a way of retrieving/storing/fixing the car.

Essentially, if there's anyone who lives in the vicinity, we'd like to find some reasonable offer to pick up the car and store it for a while since it may be a month or so until we can come after it. We need to rustle up another EA82 engine to throw in it since the right side of it has no compression.

We have internet at the hotels and will be checking regularly. The car still runs, if only on two cylinders. Time is of the essence; the gas station will only let it stay there two weeks.

-Tim Hansen

262-325-0346 - call me if you have any bright ideas.

maybe... if you go to the member section of the usmb, and search members in va, you can pick out an active local you could contact. i'm in roanoke but i'm pretty new here. where's your car and how long are you going to be around.?

john

Tim Hansen here checking in from the BA/BE rally. The Trashwagon never quite made it to the event proper; Fox blew the head gasket in Ohio and limped it to VA. The Camry wagon we've entered is doing fine but we need to come up with a way of retrieving/storing/fixing the car.

Essentially, if there's anyone who lives in the vicinity, we'd like to find some reasonable offer to pick up the car and store it for a while since it may be a month or so until we can come after it. We need to rustle up another EA82 engine to throw in it since the right side of it has no compression.

We have internet at the hotels and will be checking regularly. The car still runs, if only on two cylinders. Time is of the essence; the gas station will only let it stay there two weeks.

-Tim Hansen

262-325-0346 - call me if you have any bright ideas.

Hey:

Are you sure you blew a headgasket? It sounds to me like you lost your passenger side timing belt. Pull the cover and check it. It's unusual to lose compression in both cylinders at the same time, even with a blown HG. I'm in Richmond Va. and I'm sure I could watch the car for you if you could limp it here, or if the belt is bad we can fix it and you'll be on your way. If it is the engine I have a line on a car in Charlottesville that has a good running engine in it and we can get it for cheap. Only 113,000 miles on the engine. Call me and I'll see if I can lend you guys a hand

Mike

804-393-0516

Hey:

Are you sure you blew a headgasket? It sounds to me like you lost your passenger side timing belt. Pull the cover and check it. It's unusual to lose compression in both cylinders at the same time, even with a blown HG. I'm in Richmond Va. and I'm sure I could watch the car for you if you could limp it here, or if the belt is bad we can fix it and you'll be on your way. If it is the engine I have a line on a car in Charlottesville that has a good running engine in it and we can get it for cheap. Only 113,000 miles on the engine. Call me and I'll see if I can lend you guys a hand

Mike

804-393-0516

Normally I would ask the same questions, but if Fox says the headgasket is blown, you can safely assume it is. He has probably blown more of these things up than many members combined

i'm in ruckersville, va.. not sure where fincastle is though..

if you guys are up to it i need an engine taken out of a parts wagon and put into another..

Tell miles he can have the old engine if he does the motor swap for me.. both cars are here and i have air tools if needed :)

basically take one lump out and put in another.. complete.. the one coming out is a reman with about 20k and its spfi...

call me at 434-284-2955 , if i don't answer leave me a message, will be at work all afternoon..

Hey:

Mike

804-393-0516

fox is basically a subaru mechanical expert whqat he says goes

p.s. he probably has done more damage than the rest of us combined

well folks, sorry fot the late response, but the car is at a country store rest stop off the side of the higway nearer to roanoke coming from lexington

block selar somewhat helped, new plugs did not help at all, although the passenger side's were fouled with oil.

i have come to the conclusion that the valve(s) are burnt up on the passenger head

strong motor i'll say, it should have blown the head gasket some 9 overheats ago. it basically lost compression during cranking the starter at the last overheat. overheat i mean so hot that oil was boiling over out the pcv hole on the cam tower

twice in a row? history repeats? maybe a third time will be a charm. at least im not in jail this time! although i got a picture of myself in the back of the hazzard county sheriff's car at "cooter's" in gatlinbutg, tenn.

anyway the plan involves top gear magazines lincoln TOWn CAR that they will be leaving behind and a u-haul hitch installed at my own hand, then a jaunt out east.

so, ed in columbus if you want that red 3-door i'll bring it your way.

and anyone else along the way i can bring out my 75,000 original mile 83 wagon that is virtually MINT but with a little rust on the edges, should anyone want it, its a 4wd 4spd but needs a tranny

my phone is 414-793-7728

Miles:

If you dont get situated any sooner, I do have those EA82 cores outside the garage under tarps. I'm sure there's enough there, and in my gasket box, to piece something together. Long way from VA to C-Bus though...

Send me a PM if you need Ed's contact info, or if you want to stop by on your return trip.

Good luck, John

Columbus is more or less on the way between Milwaukee and Virginia, though, and we might stop by anyway.

As it happens, a couple of Yugo aficionados from C-bus that we met a a junkyard there last October wound up running the BA/BE rally with us...small world.

We're back in Wisconsin and have regular internet access now so stay tuned.

well the 83 i was going to dump off in butler, but if you want it jim i can just as easily bring it your way. i also have a transmission for it, it also needs a front axle.

other than that is has a matching set of wagon spoke weels with the center caps, and new exhaust. the motor runs flawlessly. little rust on the edge.

give me a call or pm about the price. i also have a 95 legacy i can stand to let go for relatively cheap, something for your wife or even yourself to drive

john, call me or pm with eds number, i know he was interested in some sort of subaru but deciding on which one i guess. i relly need to get rid of some cars so i can deliver then for a partial payment (fuel expenses) and take the rest later

well i was talking to my marketing company president at u haul about getting a super deal on hitch parts for the Lincoln Tow'n Car to run after the trashwagon in VA.

i would essentially be getting 600 bucks worth of parts and labor for within 300 bucks, put them on my self to save the labor costs, and get paid for putting it on, as part of my training for the hitch pro position at work

so far the tally would be a class 3 hitch for 4,000 lbs, 2" drawbar and 2" ball, transmission cooler and the lighting pigtail, and possibly a u-haul towbar

all is go. shipping out today. got 600 bucks worth of towing package that i havent paid for yet, so that means i can afford the gas in the lincoln TOW CAR. later..............................................................