Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fastest EA's?

My '85 Brat may qualify for EA81. I have never taken it to the track but seat of the pants testing and many shocked passengers may be testimony enough!

Estimated hp by builders, cam grinders and experienced modifiers is about 150bhp at the crank. It has set fastest lap times at ORG rallyx is the past.

The XT6 is also a bit modified as well. I doubt it is the fastest though. There have been a few people who played with nitrous setups with these.

I also have a 2.5 Brighton that puts out some power that is being compared with the WRX.

I have not dyno'd any of these vehicles so all claims are just that.

one thing subes could use is different gearing, you might be able to make a sube that is quick for a 1/4 mile track, but top end won`t be much above 110 no matter what you do. at 110 i bet a sube would be doin some big rpms..... my brat at 85 was doing almost 4 grand.

I can't understand people who spend a lot of time/money building an engine then don't stick the car on a dyno. you'll get plenty more power out of it if you set up the carb/efi and disty curve propery on a dyno so why not? doing it by trial and error is so hit & miss.

This may not count...but i never get challanged in my 12psi ea82t MANX BUGGY...its 598kgs in total and pulls hard in all gears....:grin: .runs 3.9 diff

and spin,s the motor clear through 6800rpm.. 27 inch rear tyres....its sorta like the dream launch mobile..i never shock-load it..and dont spin the wheel,s on the bitumen....but i have no doubt it would be fun though....:burnout:

I can't understand people who spend a lot of time/money building an engine then don't stick the car on a dyno. you'll get plenty more power out of it if you set up the carb/efi and disty curve propery on a dyno so why not? doing it by trial and error is so hit & miss.

Maybe its because some of us have better things to do, or just dont have the time to deal with dyno'n something. Putting a car on a dyno isnt exactly cheap either. Life happens and it always doenst revolve around cars.

Maybe its because some of us have better things to do, or just dont have the time to deal with dyno'n something. Putting a car on a dyno isnt exactly cheap either. Life happens and it always doenst revolve around cars.

Well said.

My ea82t wagon was fast until it got lifted with big tires. Until that it broke loose in third gear at 3000 rpm @15psi. Lots of pull all the way up to 7.5k most likely had similar #'s to WJM.

Motor had recent top end rebuild, has oil cooler, TMIC (large core AUDI F.M.I.C.) with well laid out pipeing, higher fuel pressure ~40 psi @idle, TWE Header and DP w 2.5" to the back no cats, ported turbo on the hot side for higher flow, and now runs with a 9.5:1 comp ratio. Too bad it's spinning 29x10.5" tires now:/

weird - so many people with the all the time and $$$ to get an ea to ~150hp but not an extra half day and couple a hundred bucks to tune it.

you're also forgetting the fact that some, if not most of us, have to run on a AWD dyno which can be few and far between. The closest AWD dyno to me is 3 hours south so if you add it up just to GET there, I'm well into 60 bucks. Then ~$150 for 2, maybe 3 runs, then another $60 to get home. Granted, I'm not poor, but thats nuts for me with my car thats not even done yet!

weird - so many people with the all the time and $$$ to get an ea to ~150hp but not an extra half day and couple a hundred bucks to tune it.

I've spent a fair bit of money on my subies over the years, my legacy ej22t w/mods is pretty damn fast. Personally I think the posts talking about dyno's and tuning have come off sounding like you have little experience with "tuning". Sure I can head down island and dyno my car, hook up the wide band and tune it for whatever the desired result may be but the bottom line is if you have experience and don't care to have #'s to talk about it's not needed. If I dyno'd every car every time I did a mod I'd be broke. I can tell whether I'm rich, lean, or stoich.. That's mostly what you'll get for couple hun. buck around here, oh yeah and bragging #'s. "Tuning" costs alot more than a $150 bucks or so. What are they going to "tune " on my car? Do you know much about our flashed CPU's, or the engine management system? Not much there to "tune" really.

Personally I don't want any of the local dyno shop's advice/oppinion, if I did I'd pick up a subscription to Sport Compact or some other glossy crap.

My subies are fast sure, but none of them could hold a candle to my old 69 firebird (RIP). EVER. It wasn't meant to turn well or stop but if you've ever honked on a late 60's "strip" car you know that's not needed for thrills.

HHmm big block V8 of thunder aahhhh:slobber:

What are they going to "tune " on my car? Do you know much about our flashed CPU's, or the engine management system? Not much there to "tune" really.

No? how about fuel pressure, injector pulse widths, ignition advance? Not covered that in all your experience?

I don't know anything about your cpu, but if you don't reprogram it when you heavily modify an engine, you're missing out on a whole lot of cheap power, not to mention risking running it lean.

As for bragging rights, I've heard a lot of people bragging about how much power they reckon they're getting out of their EAs, 150hp on a NA engine is a number I've heard many times, and I know enough to know how much you have to tune an EA to get 150 NA. Read: A lot.

As far as I know all Subaru's prior to 93 had unprogrammable ECU's. You might be able to piggy back it, but theres more $ and no guarentee it will work right.

As for the items you just mentioned, most of those with major upgrades have AF meters, which can be bought fairly cheap. Some here have toasted thier motors because they lacked one and have now learned a important lesson.

As for the injector pulse width and ignition advance, thats what a O-Scope is for. And yes, I have 2. Both were cheaper than a dyno run.

Alot of us "Old Timers" here (I wont say names) have cut thier teeth on V8 HP and know instinctevly the amount of ponies that are coming out the engine and to the ground. And most likely have spent time on dyno's testing and improving.

Some of us just dont need no stinkin dyno.

Dyno's are for people who continuesly loose races and are trying to figure out why:cool:

As for bragging rights, I've heard a lot of people bragging about how much power they reckon they're getting out of their EAs, 150hp on a NA engine is a number I've heard many times, and I know enough to know how much you have to tune an EA to get 150 NA. Read: A lot.

I have no doubts about the ea and 150 hp staying just n/a. Especially 2wd.The weight lighter and car stiffened (as any race car enthusuast has to contend with on factory cars), does quite alot for the curve to the ground.goal to get rid of the sloppy bass drum and tighten into a easily drum rolling snare so to speak.The rest is easy once that is figured , if mechanically inclined .High compression I have noticed, doesn't seem to be popular on the EA82, it is no doubt the unibody, and axles the weak discouragement.I would love to see one maxxed out with no turbo/charger from a dyno.:headbang:

This is called hijacking a thread, and it's bad message board etiquette. Sure, a lot of guys might bite, but the topic was the fastest EA, not your opinion of people who choose not to put their car on a dyno. Start your own thread if you want to discuss it.

Ill get this post back on track !

I have yet to run my brat down the track but my WRX EJ20T pulls it to a 13.2 at 104mph with .99g force in the 1/4 mile acording to my Auto meter DPIC gauge with 180 whp but i have not dynoed it beacuse the nearst 4wd dyno is 6h away and over 100$ a run, i dont need a dyno to tell me my car is fast !

I hopeing to get mid 12's with upping the boost and good tires .