Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the perfect offroad subaru

Hurley

Alright so im bored and i thought it would be fun to "build" the perfect offroad subaru. Just write down your suggestions on what you think that the perfect offroad subaru needs to have.

Justin

uh. "project mega hatch" on the good ole "to do" list. Hatch with 5 link suspention, solid axle swap, Air lockers. front and rear winches, onboard air/welder. 37 inch boggers. internal roll cage. Built ej22. custom bumpers, front/rear. Lots of lights. But of course, that would be a lot of time,hard work, and money. O well, i plan to build something of the sort someday..:headbang:

prerunner...

gen 1 brat, full tube chassis basically just skinned with brat sheetmetal

crawford 2.8 with a holset and autronic, 600hp or so

built 4eat, full manual, high stall

4340, extended axles with A arm suspension front and rear, 25" travel with bypass King coilovers

some sort of locker in the rear

rockcrawler...

ea81 wagon

turbo/propane ej25, 4eat set up as rwd(duty solenoid C locked), toyota 4.7:1 case adapted

unimog 404 axles

big TSLs

why not throw in a second transfer case on the toyota dual range :banana:

and yeah, hardcore trail machine is my idea of offroad, a flex monster Scoobys aint.

Flex shmex. You need to go out with us to one of the local ORV Parks and watch these little Soobs in action before you count them out of the "hard core trail machine" off road club.

Below is a pic of Ken with no flex climbing right up on that rock. The group of 4 solid axle rigs that were already there showing off their massive flex by crawling up on that rock all left with tails between their legs as soon as Ken did it. :burnout:

qmantilt.jpg

I think the perfect offroader (god, what is this the 10th thread like this?) would look something like one of the rigs below.

Plenty capable for each and every trail we came across, and totally streetable. Two or more Soobies can tackle some pretty hardcore trails. As in the "most difficult" at Evans Creek. I bought a video of these guys in their huge rump roast monster trail rigs going thru Evans Creek. Then we went to the same trail and I filmed us from their same vantage points doing it in Subarus.

The group below is the stuff legends are made of. :headbang:

rad3.jpg

Gotta agree with Zap here, those guys up in WA/OR really have shown the rest us how to build our rigs. We don't have the mud like that out here in CO but I modeled my rig after much reading and seeing their pics/etc. If you want to hardcore rock-crawl out here, going to need clearance and the power to back it up. Most of all you have to be willing the beat the snot out of your Roo :D

You should browse through the whole off-road forum and you'll find plently of rigs, mods, etc that should help you make up your mind.

and yeah, hardcore trail machine is my idea of offroad, a flex monster Scoobys aint.

hehe.

The little hatch on the left just finished doing the trail all the jeeps in the photo finished. You should have seen the looks on each and every one of their faces as they spotted my little hatch was sitting at the top of the trail waiting for them. A welded diff, weber, 3 inch lift, 26 iinch coopers. that's it. Note the size of a few of those jeeps. Very hardcore indeed.

(the two gl wagons were not up to the task and went the back way in on the gravel road btw)

soobystuff_095.jpg

That rock doesn't look THAT impressive... i bet i could get the impreza on that... but then again.. i may not have much of a suspension left when i was done ;)

the quality of a trail rig is directly proportional to how much you want to beat the snot out of it :headbang:

I swear I'm not picking on you, but you said it. :brow:

Do a google for the Rubicon's Cadillac Hill. If that isn't a "hardcore" trail then I haven't seen one yet.

There was a group of three giant landcruisers sitting at the bottom waiting for a new trnasfer case cuz they blew one trying this hill. The drivers came out to cheer/jeer at us as we tackled it. You can hear just how impressed they were in the Subarubicon video.

lumpycamrubiconcaddyhill2.sized.jpg

That rock doesn't look THAT impressive... i bet i could get the impreza on that... but then again.. i may not have much of a suspension left when i was done ;)

the quality of a trail rig is directly proportional to how much you want to beat the snot out of it :headbang:

First, your bumper would hit it looooong before your tire ever got a chance. And your open diff wouldn't let you climb over a fallen log if you did it slowly. I can't see how you wold say that rock isn't that impressive, after looking at the logging roads you play on and show pics of afterwords. :eek:

You absolutely don't have to beat the snot out of a rig to wheel it. Being able to see a line is everything.

Where's the pic of the hatch climbing the waterfall Zap? I always thought that was a good representation of a good rig/good driver showing off Subaru's ability off-road. I know several non-subaru rigs out here that couldn't do it. Had it as a desktop picture at one point can't find it now.

First, your bumper would hit it looooong before your tire ever got a chance. And your open diff wouldn't let you climb over a fallen log if you did it slowly. I can't see how you wold say that rock isn't that impressive, after looking at the logging roads you play on and show pics of afterwords. :eek:

You absolutely don't have to beat the snot out of a rig to wheel it. Being able to see a line is everything.

It could make it up there... with enough speed.... and most likely alot of breaking stuff :rolleyes:, and yes, i know it's really impressive, just messin' around a bit zap :-p i'm not saying i do beat the snot out of my imp, because i still need to use it for everything else ;) And yes, seeing line is also a very important thing, something i'm working on.

The problem around here is that there isn't anything really good to play on.. there's logging trails, yeah, and there's some atv trailer, and the occasional ski hill :D but eh.. nothing as cool as you guys have.

I guess i phrased my thought wrong before.. how about not being scared to break stuff? who knows... you can build a rig, and still suck at what you do, money can't buy you skills offroad ;)

Now, let's see more pics! :brow:

Alright so im bored and i thought it would be fun to "build" the perfect offroad subaru. Just write down your suggestions on what you think that the perfect offroad subaru needs to have.

Justin

Air lockers

Ej Power

remove all un needed weight

can you say lower gears!!

desent winch

or jack up the radiator cap and drive a toyota under it:lol:

for me? 95ish 2dr imp, 3in suspension, 8in T-case(atlas anyone?), custom tube bumper, rad and redtop relocated to the trunk, 4eat with a machined solid replacement for the clutch pack, 4.44 diffs (maybe a lincon locked rear) and 33in tires, snorkel and ECU/TCU relocated to the dash, crawford perf. 2.65 supercharged with custom headers and exaust, full exo cage. painted WRC blue.

hahahaha, I like getting picked on, espaically when I'm a ********************* and didnt make it clear what I meant. :banana:

I meant to say scoobys are great on the trails (hence the hardcore trail rig comment, where flexing isnt required nearly as much as say rock crawling) (at least all the trails I've been on locally, I stay with the XJ's easily) but where we start to lose is when they 'flex' Other vehicles conform to the terrain, and we just sort of turn into tricycles (As you thouroughly pointed out) :headbang:

I couldnt imagine a scooby would do well on rocks, but it seems you've proved me wrong there also. Ah well, time to get some new tires for Lesbaru it seems.

Also, I checked into that Subarubicon vid, any way to get it on google video or anything? Or did I just not search well enough.

uh. "project mega hatch" on the good ole "to do" list. Hatch with 5 link suspention, solid axle swap, Air lockers. front and rear winches, onboard air/welder. 37 inch boggers. internal roll cage. Built ej22. custom bumpers, front/rear. Lots of lights. But of course, that would be a lot of time,hard work, and money. O well, i plan to build something of the sort someday..:headbang:

sounds good to me. put me on the wait list.

Also, I checked into that Subarubicon vid, any way to get it on google video or anything? Or did I just not search well enough.

Google won't help. I don't believe there are any portions on line. I'm out of dvds, I don't even own a copy any more, I gave them all away. :confused: All I have is the VHS version, and nobody likes VHS. They're pretty much retired anyways.

As for the flex stuff. If you weld up the rear diff on your little soobie, especially a shorter wheel base hatch, then as long as they have enough approach angle, they'll go thru the trail.