Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1) Steve, i think you're sexist, but i still love you ;)

2) That canadian goose the other day didn't stand a chance... no swerving from my impreza :eek:

3) My girlfriend is not allowed to even talk to me about her driving 'misshaps' because it's rediculous...

4) I like numbering things

5) Those black rubber things are actually steeling your souls when you run them over, especially nipsters ;)

6) i want to goto Harrys'! :D

7) Steve, make me a chicken pot pie!!!! :-p

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah as everyone said they are traffic volume counters that record the number of axles that cross over them

my girlfriend worked for a public works place in VT, and yes, that's what they do. They're actually really cool, some of them can take pressure readings, and tell how heavy the vehicle is, the speed, and the spacing of the axles, and pop out what class of vehicle it is. They also have a soul steeling feature, i swear!! :brow:

my girlfriend worked for a public works place in VT, and yes, that's what they do. They're actually really cool, some of them can take pressure readings, and tell how heavy the vehicle is, the speed, and the spacing of the axles, and pop out what class of vehicle it is. They also have a soul steeling feature, i swear!! :brow:

you have a girlfriend???? do you have a pic of her you can put up on here????

you have a girlfriend???? do you have a pic of her you can put up on here????

Is that so hard to believe? I'm not on here THAT much :rolleyes:

She's living in northern VT... i'm living in mid-NH... eh... kinda' sucks

and no, this isn't going to turn into a Andy's g/f pictures thread :-p

2741979370053449880IQxmTN_ph.jpg

2771983990053449880AMhkYH_ph.jpg

2419476130053449880GrAsfY_ph.jpg

2428448600053449880SEpFaY_ph.jpg

2574457770053449880EZQpvR_ph.jpg

2944261800053449880TXdFAi_ph.jpg

2497083680053449880EzoVAi_ph.jpg

some pics that my g/f took while things were being pulled off...tomorrow im gonna snap pictures of where the frame actually buckled in right under the intake box...

if u guys are wondering whats in the backround...the cars are parked at my rafting center where i guide whitewater trips during the summer...for those who dont know northest Pa has been hit with alot of rain...and had the lehigh river peaking at about 25,000 cfs...when normally its at about 500 cfs ...during dam releases about 800-1300 cfs (cubic feet/second).

it hasnt been this high since hurricane ivan and before ivan it was like 15 years ago during hurricane agnes i think....

before adrienne crashed the car driving barachie back to college....me and all the guys snuck onto the river with our kayaks and ran both the upper and lower parts of the lehigh...what should normally take 7 hours, took only 2 haha it was intense...the one rapid called bridal viel(veil)w/e, was so huge it could have easily swallowed buses...luckily we all avoided that hole or else someone prolly would have drowned haha

if anyone ever wants to go rafting sometime let me know and ill hook ya up...its good times even when the water isnt this high

in case the pictures dont work:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551784153

Is that so hard to believe? I'm not on here THAT much :rolleyes:

She's living in northern VT... i'm living in mid-NH... eh... kinda' sucks

and no, this isn't going to turn into a Andy's g/f pictures thread :-p

as long as she isnt imaginary :)

nipper

dude that damage does not look bad all. that looks totally fixable. a come-a-long anchored to a tree will pull that all out. there are better minds on this board for body work than me so i'll let them pipe up but that actually looks relatively straight forward. i don't think it would take much at all to get that back into shape. and i don't think you'd need those front top and bottom supports either, they look fine.

again, i'll defer to the more experienced peeps. make a new thread with a different title about body work or something for those that aren't following this.

what?

Well, if I'm doing say - 70 on the highway and my rpms are 3K, is that 'chosen' for a reason? It isn't 4k - nor is it 2k. So, what is the 'design criteria' that determines the best gas mileage at a given speed? Wouldn't you also want to be nearer the torque peak at higher speeds due to drag?

And, if someone has modified a vehicle such that the peak torque has shifted in the rpm range - wouldn't the 'ideal' (mileage-wise) gear ratio be different than before?

I'm just thinking a trip to the dynamometer might be wise before selecting the final gear ratio.

I once owned a vehicle that had the SAME top speed in 5th as it did in 4th. But mileage was better at highway speeds in 5th. So, just having a higher final ratio is no guarantee of higher mileage if you're way below the torque peak (I'm guessing) cause you're just gonna have to mash harder, heat is gonna build up from 'lugging' the engine, etc.

sorry if this seems off topic - but it is related

Carl

sorry if this seems off topic - but it is relatedl

i think the issue isn't what you're saying but posting to the wrong thread accidentally. check my link above, the one before your last reply, is that the thread you're trying to follow along with? torque peak and gas mileage has nothing to do with Sean's girlfriend wrecking her car (this thread...)

That front beam might be possible to pull out, and the car could come up straight if it's done right in a jig.

I would chose to cut it off and seam weld on a new beam. That's the best way to ensure that a subsequent crash (God forbid!) would again leave people inside the car unharmed.

Pulling out the old one will increase the risk of it just breaking and not absorbing any energy from the impact.

That front beam might be possible to pull out, and the car could come up straight if it's done right in a jig.

I would chose to cut it off and seam weld on a new beam. That's the best way to ensure that a subsequent crash (God forbid!) would again leave people inside the car unharmed.

Pulling out the old one will increase the risk of it just breaking and not absorbing any energy from the impact.

If it were heated (during or after) andpulled out - might be OK.

Otherwise - yeah, just pulling it out will leave it 'work hardened' - but it might be annealed by heating and be OK.

Carl

well tomorrow...its going to a collision center to have it pulled out...we were going to try and tie it to a tree and pull the other end with a truck...but lately everything has been wet and the trucks tires would only spin.....ill let ya's know how it turns out....i forgot to take a picture of the most violent part of the bend....right under the intake box theres a big wrinkle from where the front got pushed in...i cant believe i forgot to snap a shot of it

anyhow i'll let yas know how it ends up tomorrow

still looking for a front right fender...went to harry's today and couldnt find one anywhere....did come home with a bumper and bumper beam tho

:) My wife has never been comfortable driving in poor conditions (rain, snow, etc.). I have taken her to empty parking lots and deserted mountain roads a few times to let her 'practice' and get a feel for what a vehicle does when 'out of control'. While I don't know if it has really helped her, she had a great time playing! One thing I have tried to teach her is how to 'push start' a manual trans car by letting it roll and pop the clutch. For some reason she just cannot quite get that one! We have been married for 17 yrs., and she still cannot push start a car! I bought her a Camry with an automatic for her last car!

Glad to hear that no one was hurt in your accident!:)

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

sean,

use a come-a-long to pull with rather than a truck. they can be had for 10 bucks from harbor freight or the local tractor/farm supply store. i use them to pull cars up on my trailer and to pull out bumpers and body panels in situations exactly like yours. a come-a-long and some thick straps work perfect.