Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would the ultimate EA82T engine be?

I'm thinking pretty strongly of selling my RX-7 & letting my Loyale be my daily driver/weekend warrior in one. It's lighter, more practical, and with boost, would be quicker. And still a sane daily driver.

Towards that end, I need a good powerplant. Right now, I don't want to do a full EJ swap, so I want to stick with the EA82 (also, just because I think it's a neat engine). But, I need boost to do what I want.

My plan is to build a more or less zero mile EA82T, with high compression pistons, MPFI, a standalone ECU, and a custom exhaust system. I'd like to see around 180 at the crank if possible.

The turbo longblock is MPFI, correct?

The exhaust I'm planning to run would come off the turbo, have an EGT probe, back to a presilencer (glasspack or such), and then back to a large, fairly free flowing muffler. This should be quiet, with a minimum of backpressure - at least 2" pipe behind the turbo. Any problems there?

I'd like to have wideband O2 sensor bungs welded into both downpipes, for proper tuning of each side.

Do MPFI systems have 2 or 4 injectors to control?

And, finally, with a Megasquirt, full timing control, and premium fuel, do I have a good shot at reliably & safely making 180 or so to the crank? I expect I'd need to run 15lbs or so of boost, intercooled, to do this (roughly doubling stock output).

-=Russ=-

Allow me to be the first to say; Just do an EJ swap. Parts are more easily available and it can be done quite cheaply. From what ive read, after youve added up all the cost for parts and such, its not that much more to swap in an EJ series engine that will put out that much power anyways.

Also try to remember youre wanting to make a lot of reliable power out of a 20 year old engine design. But as for your question of tuning the EA82, i believe WJM (not sure?) has done some good work with the EA82T.

Edit: Dam you Brian! you beat me!

Can I use an EJ22 or such with the EA82 transmission, or will I need to do a full drivetrain swap?

I'm not opposed to a drivetrain swap if needed... I've pondered a WRX drivetrain swap in the long future, but it'd be more trouble than just an engine swap, especially with the different clutch actuation & such.

-=Russ=-

The ultimate EA82T would be a EJ22.

-Brian

hahahahahaha its true....if u know what your doing(mechanically) it would be best to do the same thing with an EJ22 and have a lot more power doing so................oh yeah, ask brian about too much boost in an Ea82!!!!

cost wise, doing a EJ22 swap would be more $$$ turboing it

also, putting a standalone on an EJ22 is more painstaking than doing so on a EA82 IMO. The EA82 has a distributor, (with vacuum lines unconnected in this case) that can easily be used for reference points for ignition setup for some ECUs that might use that feature (IE: Megasquirt for Inj and MSnSpark for spark)

you can get 180hp out of an EA82 and still have it reliable. reliability is dependant on all factors of parts, service, and tune.

There's tons of people on here who still love and admire the EA82.

BTW - if you did want to do an EJ22 swap, just get the adapter going, grab an EJ25 shortblock, and some EJ22 phase I heads. It'll raise compression. Still run premium though. cams (depending on your preference of how hot), crank pulley, header and exhaust, and a good valve job would see about 200hp. no turbo and your power figure = ;)

I'm running the ej22 head/ej25 block in my legacy. it is a good street motor for sure. I get 26mpg combined highway driving at 85-100mph and flooring it around town. my pops has gotten 33mpg in the car but he drives like he is in his 80's. the motor is torquey, but not fast. with some delta cams and a 2.5" exhaust, it would haul some rump roast. in a small light car it would RIP. the leggy is 3300lbs wet and a loyale is more like 2600 IIRC.

another good option is the EJ hybrid some guy in the retrofitting forum just asked about, ej25DOHC heads on a ej25 SOHC block which is bigger compression, 10.65:1. the DOHC heads are some of the best subaru has made, and cams/header/2.5" exhaust it will be probably 200hp and super reliable.

the funky subaru EJ crank trigger wheel with crazy offset teeth has now been decoded in MS1. that means to wire in an EJ to a megasquirt all you will need to do is add a proper IAC valve.

there are a bunch of people who have megasquirted EJ's for rails and kit cars before that, using an EDIS ignition system.

for piggybacks you have the greddy e-manage blue which some people have had good luck with and the perfectpower SMT-6 which is a little more expensive and sorta finicky. then there are things like an SAFC.

but if you want to build a ea82, do it man. are there things like metal head gaskets for an ea82?

maybe to make it stronger, cryo treat the heads so they dont warp, metal head gasket, keep low compression, and do a small block fill(grout you pour into the water passages). do your megasquirt, maybe some delta cams, throw on a wrx turbo, a ebay FMIC, and that should be a more reliable 200-220hp.