Ultimate Subaru Message Board

***UP-DATE!***ATV tires RATED @ 925lbs! that's easy to mount! (or NEW 14" holy grail)

FlyB0y

whats the price and shipping?
Well, so far, I haven't found anyone yet locally that has the Heavy Duty 770lb & 925lb in their catelogues, but I am sure I will be able to find that out soon. The standard rated tires of the same type are $80 ea, no shipping added. Soon I hope to get paid for the last 2 major jobs I have been a part of, and should be able to budget a set in. :burnout:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lugs far apart helps the tire in stickey mud. Tractor tires have even more void between lugs than the ATV tire. If anything, it increases traction.

You can get away with a narrower tire if it has a better tread pattern and/or deeper tread. The swamper is a street tire with street handling in mind during manufacturing and design. They will load up before a tractor tire will.

I saw a 2wd subaru in here with some tractor tires on the front. There are a few goodyear tractor tires that will fit subarus. Many of them are going to be listed as high flotation front tires. There aren't many for 14" rims that I am aware of, but PLENTY for 15". I have a set of 31x15.5-15 Goodyear Xterra tires that work great. But they're on a Geo Tracker. ;)

regardless of the tread pattern, 10" wide tire vs 8.5" wide, that's the difference between digging through to solid ground and stuck up in the muck.

not to mention 26" tall vs 29"...there's an 1.5" of pure ground clearance.

and then, the lugs are too far apart, with the weight of a car on them, they won't push enough material to maintain any momentum.....

sounds like 3 times to me :D

but then, that's mostly speculation.....I say go for it, and tell us for sure how it all works out. :clap:

If you just want to go the Uber-redneck way, double up on the Swampers. I saw a guy at a mudrun in Portland a few years back with an 84 Wagon set up like that. Of course, there was also the guy with the pizza cutter tractor tires and a stack out the hood too-

The bigger the void, the more self-cleaning ability the tire has. The downside is that the more lugs, the more biting surface the tire has to propel the vehicle forward. Tractors have fewer big lugs since they can't rely on wheel speed to clean the tread out. On a car, especially in greasy mud, tractor-tread patterns are a disadvantage, limiting the forward propulsion the tires can give. A tire like a Swamper, when spun, will clean out, and present more biting edges to the mud.

BTW, my old Wagon weighed in at 1750 by itself, my Hatch only weighs 1440 by itself. With a full tank of gas.

That is hardly this.

RossmudWCSS3.sized.jpg

or this

EZmudWSCC6.sized.jpg

or this

EZdeepsnowass.jpg

yep, my point exactly. that's not trailriding. that's mudding (well, except the snow....but I assure you, the trails up here look alot like that in the winter)

grant...ever driven a car with swampers on it, ON the road? definately not designed with street handling in mind.

So they work great in the mud. . . What about the rest of the time you're out wheeling? Or are you going to make a mud pit only rig?

You can't do this with them. . .

(see upper right pic)

collage04.jpg

Great Pics,

"You can't do this with them. . ." Not sure about that?

I don't see any pictures that are over 20 mph?

Nothin in those pictures I couldn't do and I'd have incredible traction while doing it!:grin:

yep, my point exactly. that's not trailriding. that's mudding (well, except the snow....but I assure you, the trails up here look alot like that in the winter)

grant...ever driven a car with swampers on it, ON the road? definately not designed with street handling in mind.

Yes. Swampers were designed to be safe and DOT legal. Swampers are also quite a bit quieter on the street. :) DOT tires have their place. Ice, and rocks primarily. There is no tire or vehicle that will be the best. The giant hunting rigs up here aren't very good for every day trail riding. Little tiny rigs aren't as good for rural hunting.

Tractor tires really don't require wheel spin for forward motion in most cases. When they do, they still load up but require less RPM to clean.

I can tell you that hauling tires to the trail head and swaping over is VERY annoying. I haul 600lbs of tires behind my tracker just to have fun. But I also have a decent set of DOT tires too. Its not like I don't like DOT tires... ;)

Here is the lineup that the Alaskan's use on hunting rigs:

You guys can probably fit the first two tires (31x15.5-15). The third is a 35x14 swamper.

081605-TireMass.jpg

LEFT TO RIGHT:

31x15.5-15 - .75" tread - $175 - Goodyear Terra Tire, mounted on wide rim

31x15.5-15 - .75" tread - $202 - Goodyear Traction Tire, mounted on narrower than factory specified rim

35x14.5-15 - ??? - SS TSL, 1/8" tread remaining, just for scale...

11.2-16 (35.5x11.8-16) - 1 3/8" tread - $148 - Goodyear DynaTorque II (small version of far right)

18.4-16.1 (44.8x20.1-16.1) - 1.6" tread - $499 - Firestone Traction Field and Roadmeasures 42" with no air, bias ply... Same as the good year Traction Sure Grip

18.4-16.1 (45x18-16.1) - 1.6" tread - $230 FOB - "American Farmer Apple", air pressure has a lot to do with final height on this one, radial ply

18.4-16.1 (44.7x18.6-16.1) - 1.6" tread - $399 - Titan Hi-Traction Lug R-1

19.5-24 (50.6x18-24) - 1.2" tread - $350 - Chinese R-4 Bias Industrial Tractor Tire

19.5x24 (50.6x19-24) - 1.2" tread - $350 - Chinese R-4 Radial Industrial Tractor Tire

16.9x24 (52.7x17-24) - 1.6" tread - $304 - Goodyear DynaTorque II

And here is a 44" tire loaded up ;)

Image50.jpg

whats the price and shipping?
Ok ... gotta up-date on this ... I don't expect it will be the best price VS a motorcycle/atv shop, but the Kenda rep just told me today that Vision Wheel sells the tires, however when I called them, they said goto Les Schwab, so I am waiting further info from Les Schwab. When I checked prices last, Les Schwab was about 30% more than the local atv dealers, so be aware. ;)

• 10 months later...

Yes!!!! I'm happy to say tommarow I will be calling my favorite motorcycle shop and ordering these tires!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

And just to recap for anyone curious but not wanting to wade through this long thread:

The tires I have decided to buy after 11 mons + research are the following:

K537 HD Side-By-Side Bounty Hunter Radial in the 27x10.R-14 for $120 ea I will have ordered to the shop. (the 14" have been out for close to a year but are still not listed on the website. You can call Kenda directly and ask Q's at: 614-866-9803) which have a weight rating of 770lbs per tire.

http://www.kendausa.com/atv/radial.html

I have opted for the front tires instead of the rear for 2 reasons, contact patch and fit. The larger rear tires will have more trouble fitting in the wheel wells and my nissan rims are closer to the width of the atv rims these are designed to be used on. I am using Nissan 2x4 14" rims that are 6" wide and according to the Kenda rep this shouldn't present any problems FOR OFF ROAD ONLY. I never plan on using these tires for anything short of a gravel road or more primative. I still need to figure out the best way to store a second set of tires for the trip to the off-road area, however if I was camping and had to drive on a 1/4 mile of asphalt in a 15mph zone of an improved campground to the trails, I don't think that would be a problem.:cool:

Any and all suggestions/comments welcome! I don't want to come off as a "know it all" or anything close. I might be better described as old enough to know better but still young enough to take a risk.:-p

I will post pics and give a report soon as I am able.:burnout:

Oh yeah, almost forgot to post a link to this review of the same tires (these are the standard weigh rated however, not the HD).

http://www.atvpt.com/kendabountyhunter26x14.htm

(the 14" have been out for close to a year but are still not listed on the website. You can call Kenda directly and ask Q's at: 614-866-9803)

Oh yeah, almost forgot to post a link to this review of the same tires (these are the standard weigh rated however, not the HD).

http://www.atvpt.com/kendabountyhunter26x14.htm

Yes, it's strange that almost 1 yr after they have been out the 14" are still not listed at the website, and the review is on the standard weight tires.

I must be missing something. You're going to pay $120 for a 27" tyre that you have to swap out every time you want to go wheeling?? Why not get a 28" Swamper for about $80 and you can drive on them year round:confused: :confused: :confused: . Like I said, I may be missing something but it just doesn't make sense. Just my .02, Tim

I must be missing something. You're going to pay $120 for a 27" tyre that you have to swap out every time you want to go wheeling?? Why not get a 28" Swamper for about $80 and you can drive on them year round:confused: :confused: :confused: . Like I said, I may be missing something but it just doesn't make sense. Just my .02, Tim

The first tires I ever tried were the 27" cooper discoverer b4 they were discontinued, that was the closest to a tire I was happy with both on and off road. Had to replace them and I tried the swampers next, not happy with the gearing loss, rough ride on the highway and the wear on the highway.

I decided after that I wanted no taller than the closest I could get to 26" and instead of compromising either on or off-road performance, I would rather have a set for each. :)

I don't think it's unreasonable and if it makes for a fun adventure/experiment, that's what it's about. So right on, lets see the pictures! If I was going to drive my car some distance and then purely offroad it, I could see trying the wheel swap method. If you have on-board-air, you could swap wheels in about the same time it'd take a big rig to air down.

I was wondering, will the ATV wheel set fit on one of those hitch mounted cargo racks? Or got cargo trailer? I remember at the first big Evans Creek meet, Mudrat showed up pulling an offroad trailer full of gear and spare parts. I thought, hey now that's the way to expedition with a Subaru.

Tractor tires have been used successfully on Subes for offroad racing (BYB Brett in Oz and that Czech Republic Hatchback for example) and a guy at work was telling me about a crazy gutted Justy with ATV paddle tires he saw flying on the dunes by Moses Lake. Your terrain and winter conditions in Montana are a lot different than ORV parks here in Western Washington. So again, I say go for it and lets see the photos.

The first tires I ever tried were the 27" cooper discoverer b4 they were discontinued, that was the closest to a tire I was happy with both on and off road. Had to replace them and I tried the swampers next, not happy with the gearing loss, rough ride on the highway and the wear on the highway.

I decided after that I wanted no taller than the closest I could get to 26" and instead of compromising either on or off-road performance, I would rather have a set for each. :)

i say go for it man! i think it will be cool. atv's are fun and subaru's are fun, so why not combine the 2 right?:headbang:

the subaru kid

-Dalton

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ok, you get the picture! Not happy ... went into the motorcycle shop today that said they would have my Kendas today or tomarrow (ordered last thursday or friday) and now they are telling me their suppliers are out and the ETA is August 28th?!!?

I should be half way to Oregon by then :rolleyes:. Oh well, tomarrow I will talk to all the tire dealers I can get ahold of and I will hopefully find a set in the US. Wouldn't be such a big deal to me if I wasn't moving so soon. If anyone has an idea on who would be a good online Kenda ATV tire supplier plz lemme know.

Don't ya just hate how these places say "yeah, we'll have them in by next week" (or what ever) and they really don't have a clue. Then they stuff you round with what is usually another fake date that they'll be in...

My message to them is "look into it first, do not lie!"

Bad luck man, hope you find a better place that can get them in for you..

Don't ya just hate how these places say "yeah, we'll have them in by next week" (or what ever) and they really don't have a clue. Then they stuff you round with what is usually another fake date that they'll be in...

My message to them is "look into it first, do not lie!"

Bad luck man, hope you find a better place that can get them in for you..

Yeah no kidding! The worst part is the guy who ordered them for me is the owner of the shop! I was trying to be nice and give these guys my business since they have been the most helpfull (even tho now they are almost 1 hr away from where I live) and I was there helping a friend move. Now I am just going to do what ever it takes to get them in a resonable time and for a resonable price. I know that polaris has them as stock tires for some of their ATV's (the newer 2 seat hunting rigs that are big enough they aren't even allowed on the ATV only trails :rolleyes:) I really don't care if it comes from a Polaris Warehouse or where ever. The worst part about it was when the parts guy just seemed to look at me bewildered and told me something along the lines of "there's nothing I can do ...".

I have looked at several online distributors but none of them list the 14" HD's only the regular 14". I am hoping either one of them or a Polaris dealer can get some for me in the near future. Also if any of you know a good "rain dance" we could really use it here:-p. Getting tired of all the smoke and level 2 fire restrictions. Right now you can't even go on most forest service roads because of the fire danger. :(

ROFLOL!! My timming absolutly sucks.:dead: I just got off the phone with the Kenda USA rep, and guess what. They just decided reciently to temporarly discontinue the Bounty Hunter HD in the 14" size because they made their tires 10" wide front and 12" rear, they will be retooling to make them more standard as most 14" atv tires are 9" wide front and 11" rear. I'm so beside myself I don't know weather to laugh or cry! So I'll just laugh I guess. Now I really am searching for a "holy grail" ... 4 front tires somewhere in the USA. :Flame:

Good-bye Kenda, hello ITP ... ITP is making tires to be used on similar vehicles as the HD Bounty Hunters. I will be trying out the Terra Cross tires, they should be in on friday, I might have to make a little road trip to Idaho to get any real trail riding in, unless by some miracle we have a rain storm and the fire restrictions allow use of more of the forest. :burnout:

Good-bye Kenda, hello ITP ... ITP is making tires to be used on similar vehicles as the HD Bounty Hunters. I will be trying out the Terra Cross tires, they should be in on friday, I might have to make a little road trip to Idaho to get any real trail riding in, unless by some miracle we have a rain storm and the fire restrictions allow use of more of the forest. :burnout:

thats whats sad about nevada wheeling.....there really isnt water or mud.....just rocks.

-Dalton

thats whats sad about nevada wheeling.....there really isnt water or mud.....just rocks.

-Dalton

Well, count your blessings! At least they don't burn (and get areas closed to wheel'n):Flame:

It was supposed to rain tonight, and so far all we got was a measly sprinkle .. good for me since I painted my rims, but bad for the ppl who's homes might yet burn up! :eek::dead: