Ultimate Subaru Message Board

making power on ea82t

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WJM is working on this kinda thing I am pretty sure. Has been for ages now I think.

Check my post in this thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57427&highlight=ausubaru+EA82t

Read this thread here.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58901&page=3&highlight=ausubaru+EA82t

And do a search for all the other threads I didn't link to.

Try the search feature. And good luck wasting money and blowing heads.

GD

Speaking from experience rick>?:-p

Personally, I have never blown a head on an EA82T. Nor a Head gasket (the one I got that came with a blown HG doesn't count.)

That said, I have grenaded almost every other part of the motor at least once. :)

Making power out of this engine is simple. Pull it and put an ej22 in its place. Tear down the engine while its out so you can see all the pieces in their somewhat intact form and then take them to the scrap metal yard to get some money towards the adapter plate and 2.2 engine.

Seriously, making 135 HP with this engine reliably is far more expensive than the conversion.

Seriously, making 135 HP with this engine reliably is far more expensive than the conversion.

135hp? that shouldn't be too hard, my car puts out 136hp stock, with a bigger exhaust that should come close to 140hp?

unless you're talking whp, then I'll just shut up :grin:

135hp? that shouldn't be too hard, my car puts out 136hp stock, with a bigger exhaust that should come close to 140hp?

unless you're talking whp, then I'll just shut up :grin:

Thats right, you guys got a slightly different configuration.

The US model is only 111-115 (depending on the year)

:(

I'm personally not convinced that the NA EJ22 is worth the effort. But thats just me.

I'm personally not convinced that the NA EJ22 is worth the effort. But thats just me.

For most folks, I think you are right. The wiring for converting most vehicles to an EJ series is the stumbling block. Mechanical fitment is really pretty trivial, and the adaptor plates are getting reasonable - $100 each at the show this year.

My poison is going to be MegaSquirt, and the beauty there is that I could drop any motor I want without any wireing at all. I see a lot of import places with blow-out prices on the 150 HP JDM EJ20 (DOHC). Going MS first allows you to split the wiring from the engine so that all you have to deal with is fitment and software tuning.

GD

:(

The gain is extremely noticable. The power is there right away off the top.

The other gains include:

Easier to find parts in the yard than the ea82 series.

No more need for premium fuel.

Timing belt lasts a lot longer than the belts on the ea82's.

Aftermarket parts availability for EJ engines much better. Intake snorkels, air filters, injectors, etc.

Gas mileage goes up.

Engine compartment temps go down.

# of hoses and stuff to break goes down.

Build the ea-82t. My RX has the ea82t with a lot of mods and it ran a 14.2 on the 1/4 mile compaired to my 93 legacy with the ej22 at 17.3 seconds. Sure, the RX is a bit lighter but the neck-snapping turbo power is unmatched. Plus it's cool to beat a WRX with some little 1.8L 2 valve engine.

I run my engine at 20 psi and I have never blown a head gasket. Intake temp has a lot to do with that. A good intercooler is a must. If you up the boost on the engine without an intercooler, go ahead and put some head gaskets on order and keep them nearby.

With all of that said, I will be installing an ej22t into the car when this engine finally lets go. the ea82t is a great engine but it can only breathe so much.

I think the majority of us EA82T drivers are resigned to the power output of the engine (especially if you have ever driven a complete dog 1.8 in another car) and instead love it for its robust nature, relative simplicity, and the ease of maintaining it. Mods for a serious power increase are expensive and tend to up the stresses throughout the engine. Hats off to those who go to the trouble and expense :headbang: absolutely! But I think almost all of us would agree the EJ22t is a better starting platform for performance. That said, its your world...

$0.02 DW

thank you for all the great replies, and the not so great ones too!!

I now still have no idea what to do with the car...

of course it stays stock for one year for rally-x while I learn the sport..

if it gives out after that, then i'll probably go for what ever is in my price range/time limit for upgrades...

I'd love to have the first STI XT but it is highly unlikely.

I'm gonna go the other way from everyone else. Build the EA81T. It's block design is just as good as the EJ22T. Not a ton of aftermarket support, but it is virtually indestructable. Cracks between the valves? They don't seem to bother my engine! Plus it will make just as much power as an EA82T but is way more reliable and bullet-proof. I'll let you know how mine holds up.

I'm gonna go the other way from everyone else. Build the EA81T. It's block design is just as good as the EJ22T. Not a ton of aftermarket support, but it is virtually indestructable. Cracks between the valves? They don't seem to bother my engine! Plus it will make just as much power as an EA82T but is way more reliable and bullet-proof. I'll let you know how mine holds up.

:confused:

But he has an EA82T - it's an XT.

GD

:confused:

But he has an EA82T - it's an XT.

GD

NOOOOOO!!! He is saying to pull the EA82T and install an EA81T, and build from there.

Personally, I like my EA82T. With some more modification, I think it could be a very, very enjoyable engine. I have a few tricks(things that I have learned since I have been in Okinawa) up my sleeve that I plan to unleash on my GL-10 when I get back to the States. But, if I can't get my 95 WRX back stateside, I plan on pulling the motor, wiring harness, and buying an APEX F-Con for it and install it in the ol' Draggin' Wagon when the EA82T in it finally goes the way of the dinosaur.

Patrick