Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 Oil Bucket?

Sorry to re-post but cant work this out?

Hi All, I have an EA-81 in my aircraft with a dry sump, and it is using oil at 1 Ltr per hour!

The compressions are all on or around 160 and it was reboared 40 hours ago with new pistons and the heads re done etc.

We fitted new valve oil seals but it still drinks oil!

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

There are no oil leaks that are visible but there is oil like residue on the bottom of the aircraft where the exhaust exits.

Regards Paul

I can only assume that the rings aren't properly seated. There's basically two ways for oil to get out the exhaust - valve stems, and rings. If you replaced the stem seals then it would seem to indicate the rings as your culprit. Compression rings are fine - but the oil control ring may be installed improperly or something - that's just a guess tho.

GD

what i would say has already been mentioned. there are only two typical possibilities - rings or valve stem seals. i'd guess rings. i assume you checked to make sure oil isn't getting into the coolant?

i'd do a leak down test next.

were the block and heads known to be good when you got them?

Grossgary, No oil in coolant.

Its realy bugging me now as I dont understand how I get good compressions on all pots (160) and Its not smoking, have replaced valve oil seals on all four, but the oil usage this weekend was still 1 ltr per hour?

I was hopeing I had missed something basic and you clever guys could point out my mistakes.

Paul

i suggest a leak down test as head work is much easier than block work. can you do a leak down test? i've seen blown headgasket engines show good compression and also higher than normal compression (+10%). i guess that added fluid (coolant) in the combustion chamber somehow makes up for the losses in those cases. either way, that you're seeing good compression doen't completely surprise me. if it were valve stem seals...they'd be closed during the compression stroke but i would not have guessed they would leak that much oil.

removing the venting, PCV stuff may pose issues that i'm not aware of.

What do the plugs look like? 1L/Hr is so excessive that the engine should be having other issues, like detonation and hideously fouled plugs. It would also leave enough oil smoke that people would think that you were skywriting? :grin:

I am guessing that you are pushing oil out a breather or out a seal, and any burned oil is relatively minor. The puff on throttle-up following tickover indicates valve seals, unless the smoke continues during the throttle up period. (A little hard to tell while "driving"...)

If you used chrome-faced rings, it could take 500-1000 miles (100-200 hours???) to fully seat, assuming that the cylinders were honed for chrome faces (rougher finish).

Anyways, I would inspect the breather system, and, cowling permitting, check seal areas for blown seals (caused by improper seal-fitment or excessive case pressure due to breather issues).

Thanks Guys, I will try a leak test this week and let you know.

The plugs look great! Not oily at all.

Yes wish I was good enough to scywrite.

Maybe it needs running in? but when its using this amount of oil its a bit scary up there!

A freind flew behind me this weekend and could not see any smoke at all?

As I said the engine runs real strong.

Paul

Burning a L/Hr would foul the plugs so quickly you would probably not make your first takeoff. Even being generous with conversions, that is a quart per 80 miles for us US ground-crawlers. A quart every 800 miles is usually considered excessive consumption. 10 times that is outrageous.

I am still thinking oil tank/case breather system. Where does the tank vent? possibly near the exhaust stack? Is there any sort of "road draft tube" that vents either the case itself or the tank system? What does the oily residue on the plane's underside look like? Relatively clean oil or sooty residue? (Probably not easy to tell on an airframe...)

I have just changed the piston rings in a 350cc dirt bike. It was drinking oil like crazy (about 300ml's in 10mins.) And wasn't running to good either. The thing that confused me was it had VERY good compression (sorry, no numbers) but it was almost as hard to kick over as a 250cc 2stroke (14:1 comp.) After I changed it's rings the smoke and oil consumption went away.

I backup the oil ring presumption. But I would have no idea how to fix it without changing them (again) which I know would p*** me right off.

Although, I would of thought a litre an hour would be very visible in the exhuast smoke..

Thanks guys,

The engine was standing (well preserved for 12 months) and I replaced the seals before fitting and constantly check for leaks= none.

The oil is held in a tank and pulled into the sump.It vents into the top of the oil tank and there is a overflow tank that then vents to the outside.

The residue underneath is a black smoky oily film all over the fibreglass undersideof the aircraft.

As I have said there is no visible smoke apart from first rev from tickover and then it is just a puff of smoke, and the plugs are dry and good colour.

Yes I agree the oil consumption tells me something is wrong and I think It is approaching a strip down. I have spoken to Ron at Ram engines and he can supply pistons and rings to fit so I really am stuck as to what to do at present?

Paul

• 2 weeks later...