Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate reman axles!!!

Well, about 3 months agoe I replaced the pass. side axle with a reman. unit from my local parts house. Well, about a month later, the axle nut seemed to have backed off. No big deal, I thought. So I tightend down the nut and had little problems with it for a while. Well, about a month ago I noticed that the front felt kind of strange, so I started to check things out. Loose axle nut. Tightened it back up, and noticed that the bearings were going, so I installed new wheel bearings, again. I had just replaced bearings when the new axlw was installed. Well, three weeks had gone by, no problems out of the front, until I leave work for lunch. I start going down the road, all seens good. Then I notice a pull when I let off the thottle. So, I go to pull over to see whats going on, and as I am pulling into the gas station, I here a pop, and the sound of splines slipping. I take a look at the pass. side, and the axle nut, washer and cone washer are gone!! I dig through my tool box, and I luckily had an extra nut, and a washer that would work to limp the car out of the way. Get car towed home, where it sits broke. Upon further investigation, I had found that the nut had slide off the threads, broke the cotter pin and everything went. Yep. The jokers here at the Dealer says it will take 2-3 weeks, thats right, weeks to get a new cone washer, the one piece that is going to keep me from getting the car back to gether. Going to take the axle back to advanced to try to get $$$$ back on it. I have to replace bearings as a result of this fauly axle twice now. I don't even want to mess with these remans anymore. I'm lucky that this junk happened at a slow speed goinmg into the gas station, and not on the hwy. where I was about to go.

If anyone has any cone washers they want to get rid of let me know!!! I can't wait 2-3 weeks to get this car back on the road!!

Try one from MWE axles he works next door to me and doesnt build junk. Ive watched him build the axles and they are amazing, all bearings sized to the cups, painted rally blue, etc. I have a cone washer I will toss in the box with your reman for you when he ships you one just tell Marshall to remind me. His site (call him with the # on his site):

www.ccrengines.com/mwe

Please let him know you don't have a core (assuming parts store takes your return) as he does have to charge a small fee to get one so that the next perosn to need an axle won't be SOL. (hes a small 1 man outfit)

cotter pin???

The axle nut is a castle nut. There should be a cotter pin of some sort going through the axle nut & through the holes in the axle. If the nut is able to back off, the cotter pin has left. A good condition cotter pin should not leave.

-=Russ=-

I have purchased axles with the threads worn out before. The threads were good enough for the nut to screw on, but but too much torque and it would slip. Now I take the nut and thread it on at the store. If the threads don't look brand new and sharp to the touch, if the axle doesn't come with the nut and cotter pin, or the roll pin for the DOJ, I simply do not buy it. It shows a lack of attention to detail, and a lack of quality.

What was the brand of axle you picked up at NAPA? CCW, CC something? That brand is junk, and they are out of business now. That same brand was sold at AutoZone, Advance, Federated, and a dozen other parts stores. But the lack of quality shut them down. I am not sure about NAPA, but I know AutoZone sells some really good NEW ones now, and good reman units.

Depending on the folks at the store where you bought yours, you may have a hard time proving that it was a faulty axle, and not an improper installation. Your best bet is to ask for, and expect only a refund on the axle, don't push it and demand that they pay for a tow bill, and a professional mechanic to fix it with OEM parts!

Try one from MWE axles,he works next door to me and doesn't build junk. Ive watched him build the axles and they are amazing, all bearings sized to the cups, painted rally blue, etc.

www.ccrengines.com/mwe

Autozone - new GCK axles. You'll never buy another one.

www.gck.com

GD

I'm interested in some good strong axles for my lifted 88 GL Wagon.

GeneralDisorder, What's a typical price for the new GCK's?

MWE wants $75 each plus shipping for his rebuilt ones.

ShawnW, How would the rebuilt MWE's compare to the new GCK's?

Thanks

Rollie

The GCK's are a new axle - COMPLETELY new. As in new shaft, joints, boots, everything. They are also "redesigned" using newer production processes and materials - these are not 'off-the-shelf" components from some axle component supplier. These are new components with "GCK Industrial" laser engraved on them. They are ISO 9002 certified for quality, and (according to the box :)) are "optimized for 4WD off-road".... I would have to agree.

Now - as for my personal impressions.... they are VERY beefy axles. The joints are 4WD spec or larger, the shafts are thicker, and the build quality is what you would expect on a new car. The joints are so stiff and tight they can barely be bent by hand, and will stay bent at that angle if you bend the joint over your knee - none of this "floppy" rebuilt garbage. This can actually be kindof interesting on an older vehicle as I've had a couple that showed some initial vibration due to the axle being so tight, and the rest of the suspension being old and loose with hard bushings. That vibration has been mild, and short-lived - dissapearing once the axles have been worked a bit (few hundred miles or so).

The threads are never bunged or ground off, the boots are higest quality rubber, and I've yet to have to replace a single one. Chef Tim has had them on his lifted hatch for like 3 or 4 years and never had any problem at all. I talked with him about them before my first purchase, and now I run them exclusively.

They run $100 no core charge from autozone for the EA81 axles - maybe a bit more for the EA82's, but I haven't yet bought any. That's with NO core charge because of course they are brand new. That's also with a lifetime warrantee through any autozone nation-wide. They are special order, but if I order on a Monday I can usually pick them up Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm sure that MWE does an excelent job if Shawn stands behind them, and I'm not trying to steal away any of their current or future customers. But I really like these GCK's - I've beat the hell out of the ones in my wagon and I know Tim probably isn't real careful with his either. Every single person I've had buy a set swears by them. I'm just happy that a major supplier of QUALITY axles has finally seen fit to build axles for our older soobs.

GD

The GCK's are a new axle - COMPLETELY new. As in new shaft, joints, boots, everything. They are also "redesigned" using newer production processes and materials - these are not 'off-the-shelf" components from some axle component supplier. These are new components with "GCK Industrial" laser engraved on them. They are ISO 9002 certified for quality, and (according to the box :)) are "optimized for 4WD off-road".... I would have to agree.

Now - as for my personal impressions.... they are VERY beefy axles. The joints are 4WD spec or larger, the shafts are thicker, and the build quality is what you would expect on a new car. The joints are so stiff and tight they can barely be bent by hand, and will stay bent at that angle if you bend the joint over your knee - none of this "floppy" rebuilt garbage. This can actually be kindof interesting on an older vehicle as I've had a couple that showed some initial vibration due to the axle being so tight, and the rest of the suspension being old and loose with hard bushings. That vibration has been mild, and short-lived - dissapearing once the axles have been worked a bit (few hundred miles or so).

The threads are never bunged or ground off, the boots are higest quality rubber, and I've yet to have to replace a single one. Chef Tim has had them on his lifted hatch for like 3 or 4 years and never had any problem at all. I talked with him about them before my first purchase, and now I run them exclusively.

They run $100 no core charge from autozone for the EA81 axles - maybe a bit more for the EA82's, but I haven't yet bought any. That's with NO core charge because of course they are brand new. That's also with a lifetime warrantee through any autozone nation-wide. They are special order, but if I order on a Monday I can usually pick them up Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm sure that MWE does an excelent job if Shawn stands behind them, and I'm not trying to steal away any of their current or future customers. But I really like these GCK's - I've beat the hell out of the ones in my wagon and I know Tim probably isn't real careful with his either. Every single person I've had buy a set swears by them. I'm just happy that a major supplier of QUALITY axles has finally seen fit to build axles for our older soobs.

GD

I went into AutoZone today to order 2 GCKs for my Loyale, and they said they were discontinued... they have the 25 spline ones, but said the ones I need (23 spline for the 2WD MT Non-Turbo) were now declaared "Obsolete" by the manufacturer, and no longer made ... ack!!! Talk about bad timing!

I went into AutoZone today to order 2 GCKs for my Loyale, and they said they were discontinued... they have the 25 spline ones, but said the ones I need (23 spline for the 2WD MT Non-Turbo) were now declaared "Obsolete" by the manufacturer, and no longer made ... ack!!! Talk about bad timing!

That makes very little sense. Their web site shows them in the catalog. I would call GCK and get the low-down on the situation: 310-532-9222

GD

That makes very little sense. Their web site shows them in the catalog. I would call GCK and get the low-down on the situation: 310-532-9222

GD

Looks like they open up in a little while in Cali ... you wouldn't happen to know a part number, would you? ....

Nevermind - got it SB-8004 is the number for the 23 Spline, and SB-8005 is the 25 Spline ...

They're not answering their phones yet, but no machine or anything on either the 310 or the 888 number ...

Anyone that you know of other than Autozone carry these guys? ...

post-19712-136027619399_thumb.gif

Okay... they say they have 2 "in the system" but they acknowledge that doesn't necessarily mean much when that number is so low ... and they won't sell to me directly, unless I establish an account, etc. So I got on the phone with AutoZone & they'r system won't let them order them unless the computer says the manu. has them ... so I'm gonna try to work a 30way call later in the day to put the 2 together ... whew! We'll see how it goes.

***EDIT*** Well, I just got my answer ... they called me back & told me they're out & it'llbe 2-3 months before they do another run of them, plus another 15-20 days before they actually arrive in the states ...

Sucks to be me.

I knew autozone couldn't be right about them being discontinued :rolleyes:. That just makes no sense - if they were going to do that for old cars they would have discontinued the EA81 axles I've been buying long ago.

Well that does suck - maybe just get some boot's for now and a couple tubes of grease.

Here - read my write up on axles. Give you a good idea of how to replace those boots. It's actually quite easy:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/axle_rebuilding.html

BTW - what does it take to establish an account with them?

GD