Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ahh really bad smell still

Ok im still not figuring out this smell, its foul as hell, i drive, stop, and get out, do somthing, come back in a few minutes and it just STINKS inside...but not outside or under the hood. Its not oil, its not sweet like coolant, its almost a foul bitter smell, from what i can tell its not coming from the vents, but its hard to tell, you go down the road and its gone in less than a minute. Im really stumped....

Ok im still not figuring out this smell, its foul as hell, i drive, stop, and get out, do somthing, come back in a few minutes and it just STINKS inside...but not outside or under the hood. Its not oil, its not sweet like coolant, its almost a foul bitter smell, from what i can tell its not coming from the vents, but its hard to tell, you go down the road and its gone in less than a minute. Im really stumped....

Did you check your shoes for dog sh*t? It might solve the problem. :lol:

Limberger cheese? :rolleyes:

You know, take some of that cheese, tie it up in a nylon stocking and tie it infront of the heater duct in your buddies car.:lol:

Other wise... no idea... check for somthing dead under your seat like a mouse.. them things can really put out the stink when they are curing to jerky.

Did you check your shoes for dog sh*t? It might solve the problem. :lol:

haha thats f**king awesome :) it could be old food under the seat....somethin nasty got spilled and seeped into the carpet and got underneath. it could be rats,.......................... it could be dog sh*t :) trust me i kno all about nasty smelling shiz

My hatchback still to this day stinks on the inside. I tried everything including burning incense with the windows rolled up. It could be one of them things your gonna have to deal with. Its part of owning a car this old. You want new car scent? Go buy a neon.

Check along the hump and floor area for any heat. I had a problem once, where I had lost a heat shiel and it was actually starting to cook the carpet, putting off a acrid foul smelling odor. Try spraying down the seats and carpet with frebreeze.

Check along the hump and floor area for any heat. I had a problem once, where I had lost a heat shiel and it was actually starting to cook the carpet, putting off a acrid foul smelling odor. Try spraying down the seats and carpet with frebreeze.

burning / cooking carpet may produce toxic fumes, be careful. i guess you checked the coolant level?

Only way to really rid a car of nasty odor is to remove all the carpeting, and wash down the floor pan - pull the drain plugs and rinse the whole thing out with a hose, and scrub with dish-soap. Wash the carpet and put it back. Also remove the dash, and wash down all the venting ductwork with pine oil - good time to replace the ductwork foam, and the heater core if your heat is sub-par. Really makes you familiar with the vehicle in ways most folks can only dream of. Run new speaker wire while you are in there, and some power wire for your amp.... hide it all in the plastic.

Mice like to nest in the ductwork, and the fresh air intake ports on either end of the dash ducting get nasty rotting leaves, pine needles and mold in them - which can make it's way down to the heater core itself, causing the blower motor to seam weak. After 20 years it can be pretty bad - you will not beleive you were breathing air filtered over that gunk. You just aren't going to remove the smell of mouse pee without removing the nesting material and washing the ducting. The amonia in it will last for decades.

GD

I agree with GD, your gonna have to do some serious detective and/or archaeological work to get rid of it.

The obvious places would be the carpet, and under it, and the ducting.

I had ran my first Soob into a nasty ditch once. The car was resting on it's side more than the wheels and everything from the center of the center hump over to half way up the passenger side was full of black swamp-rump roast stinky water when I got back to it with a tow truck. I had to remove the carpet, the padding under it, all the seats, door panels, etc and wash them. I threw the carpet over the clothes line and hosed it down with a strong mix of Simple Green. I did the same with the seats. Just turned the hose on them to saturate them, the poured Simple Green over them to soak in. After rinsing everything, and using 3 gallons of Simple Green, that car smelled great!!!! It never stank again!

First off, get some "Quick n' Brite". Dissolve it in HOT water and immediately saturate the carpet and seats. I mean POUR it on with a bucket. Scrub with a stiff brush, then suck all the water out with a Shop Vac and straight nozzle (no attachment). Pay close attention to the area UNDER the seats. It's actually better to remove the seats, if you used enough, the water will run out the seat bottom for a while. Repeat until the water runs clear, or close to it. Open the doors and let it air dry. Quick n' Brite removes stains and odors, but leaves no odor of it's own nor any residue, just plain clean.

If the smell is still there, then it's in the ducts.

yuck, my moms old 92' Grand Am SE had a rat die in the vent, and the mechanic got it out, but ruined the ventalation system and we always had exhaust fumes getting into the vents and causing us to feel nausous and have headaches, but it was a very reliable car, we sold it like that, didnt probably had exhaust leaks, i still see it driving, its fairly rusty.