Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Rally Car?

In 1986, what model would Subaru have chosen as a factory sponsored rally car? Did Subaru participate in rallying back then? I have seen old pics of rally prepared Subes I just did not know if they were backed by the manufacturer.

When I was 19 and had my wagon, I always had images of a rally prepared 1986 wagon. It doesn't seem like a logical choice given the weight to hp ration and everything. Does anyone know if wagons were raced in the 80s?

Thanks.

-Jack

From what I understand, there was a rally team that put performance parts on a Subaru RX. Somewhere there's a technical document describing this Rally RX.

In 85-86, the RX was a sedan, and then in 87+ it was a coupe. Makes sense to me that they'd rally that instead of a wagon.

interesting stuff....

with enhanced turbo slightly it only went to 170ft lbs (230nm) torque. That on a short stroke like the 1781 has always amazed me from my very first drive of one years ago...

here is a quote I liked from the article:

From the ease to develop pulling power, its torque, you would have thought the datasheet must be wrong, it must have more than that. The engine was a true stunner!

also this photo set off a light bulb over my head: (note the 4wd lever) it has been a prob in the d/r's that I have encountered, it looks upside down in comparison to photo.

4wdleverla3.jpg

Clearly you haven't seen very many D/R's. That's a standard 85 RX interrior (for a RHD version), and all 85's had that style lever.

GD

Maine didn't get much for different subes. I have seen models here at usmb that I have never seen in maine (or anywhere I have lived including southern new england). It is limited.The old turbo coupes especially (not the mid 80's one). The ea81's were a real pansy in the unibody- a rock to 99% of the world.A friend did recently show me a 2 stroke soob 2 cyl van sinking in the mud,local, the owner does not want photographs taken (kinda strange).What a small freaky vehicle that is, the owner bought it local brand new over 30 years ago- very rare and an odd purchase for this area, like alot of soobs that seem to be quite popular elsewhere. While on the subject of 86- I would swear I see more of those than legacys to this day- and they aren't even supported or glorified like the 5 main bearing lunatic :confused: . The mid 80's really took off here as truly a realistic tough enough car... like some rally pros thought as well apparently. Why that history is so quiet is really bizarre. I'll keep browsing through photos here I guess.