Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Rusted Soobie, Batman!!!

OKAY folks.. ive been absent for about two weeks, because i switched jobs and had a birthday, got to see Sir George Carlin in the meantime, AND I finally got my own digital camera. :clap:

SO, here are my promised Rust Pictures. I have yet to see any sort of frame rot or anything fundamentally structural... but if anyone has EVER seen any sort of body rust like this, I want to hear about it.

By the way...

THIS CAR WAS ZIEBARTED!!!!

Clicky for my photobucket album with all the pictures in it... but let me give a couple highlights here..

Driver's side:

small004.jpg

Passenger's side:

small010.jpg

Here is a view down into the hole on the passenger's side, that gives a decent view of the apparatus attached to the other end of the trunk lid/ gas tank door lever (well, trunk lid for us sedan and hatch owners)

small008.jpg

It isn't the greatest photograph, BUT it may help someone in need. You can see how I lashed the outer piece of the cable (the "insulator") which is the cable for the gas door, back together.. it had rent asunder right where it is held into the latch lever. Anyone need help fixing this can send me a PM.

Here is the passenger's side bottom corner of the windshield..

small011.jpg

The foto of the driver's side is blurrier, but its on the photobucket album, along with a few other shots.

Now... Even though she IS a GL-10, and has the green digi-dash (which i hate) and a power sunroof, power windows, locks, variable speed intermittents, trip computer, and even FACTORY cruise control.... its a front wheeler, 3AT. Can anyone blame me for having a plan on driving this vehicle into the ground???

Of course, shes logged me over 40K in two calendar years, and only been legal and on the road for about 16 months out of that. Starter has quit, and an alternator... Replaced brakes all around, and rear bearings, the radiator rotted out, so I replaced it, i need HGs badly, and the auto doesnt want to shift into second until I hit 25MPH, when its DEAD cold (ie, hasnt been driven in over 6 hours) So, in other words... consumables go out at unpredictable intervals.. and the headgaskets just blow. The 3AT is fairly reliable, to a Point.... but mostly these things just rust. Sounds like my Datsun!

Now if only I could find a d/r 5spd wagon to mongrelize all my GL-10 stuff into, I would be happy.

WOW:eek: and I thought the rust on my XT6 was bad...and I am in the rust belt!! We have a small joke around here..Cars that were Ziebarted or treated with Rusty Jones...that they actually spray liquid rust only the car from brand new...it was invisable rust that was on a time release formula...All the worst cases I have seen seems to have been cars that were "treated"

I don't blame you for driving it into the ground.

One question though. Does it still feel safe after all that?

When I have a chance to get it up on four jackstands, I will take a shot or two of the undercarriage. It looks fine. My chief fears are errant rocks, because i KNOW that the entire frame of the windshield must be swiss cheese.. The support at the edges gives the windshield most of its resistance against shattering from being hit by a rock. If the frame of the windshield is good, its strong. If it is compromised, then even a small rock at a low speed can shatter it, if it hits it right, and in the right spot. The rear glass has actually been jarred somewhat loose, to a point where i could press on one corner and raise it about an inch or so from its position... but I used some silicone glue to put it back in place. I know the silicone traps moisture and in time rusts stuff out.. i know its salt on the wounds.. but i had to get the thing to stay in there somehow.

Wow - that's the rusty little brother to my 86:

GD

Yah, I know.. I got a big black hole in my roof though :grin: The sunroof is my FAVORITE part of the car. haven't used it in months though, come to think of it. Not since pizza toppers started going onto it, (I ran the power cord thru the sunroof) then we got into alot of rainy times.. anyhow maybe one day I shall visit, but I've many bridges to cross before that.

As for all this "rust belt" talk, I'm hearing none of it. Cars rust here faster than anywhere else. Its getting hard to find just about anything small and japanese that might be rust-prone older than 1985 in the boneyards. VWs have all rotted away, old datsuns just fall apart.. I have seen ten year old nissan pickups (in 94) that were more wholly rusted than my car.

Nothing old is rust-free down here, its just that the american iron tends to be made of alot more iron.... so it takes a few decades longer to rot. Just wait though. All of those Geos and Saturns are about to turn 20, and we get to see them (except for the exterior of the dent-proof doors, if its a saturn :-p) rot away, too :clap:

I suppose I will go ahead and be a prick about it, and point out the green grass and green palm trees in the background juxtaposed against the date stamp of 12/18/06.. I feel bad for those of you that get this "winter" thing i keep hearing about.:banana:

Also, I failed to get a photo of myself weaving my arm through the driver's side rust hole, into the trunk, and out the rear speaker hole and waving. This is because i had no photographer to expose my face to the USMB.

WOW:eek: and I thought the rust on my XT6 was bad...and I am in the rust belt!! We have a small joke around here..Cars that were Ziebarted or treated with Rusty Jones...that they actually spray liquid rust only the car from brand new...it was invisable rust that was on a time release formula...All the worst cases I have seen seems to have been cars that were "treated"

Same here. The only catastrophic soob I had encountered (my own) had a rusty jones sticker in the window... one winter catastrophe. like it melted, then it broke the belly, this is after fixing it. I wondered if rustoleum primer/undercoating became a chemical catalyst for the rusty jones. I honestly heard the metal cracking and pop noises on quiet times around my car, I thought it was just "tightening" back up, but wasn't. Less than a year later the car was annhilated just by existing. steel importance shattered like glass (where I treated). :confused:

Daeron: I vote to scrap that one. Holy Cow.

"Never have I seen such Bravery!"

:lol:

Well, between your displayed courage and Subaru-devotion, and the fact that you are a year older, I hearby declare and affirm that you are old enough and wise enough to be taken seriously. ;) (Happy b-day!!!)

That is some rust there, guy. Around here we get all pushed out of shape over a spot of surface rust. You know, I am thinking that your car would make a good looking convertible. You would lose the sunroof (a shame) and would be hard to put your pizza topper on, but it would look cool.

the thing about it is, that none of it seems to effect chassis rigidity that much. one thing I have noticed though... i changed out my trunk lid for one off a newer car (and lost my luggage rack, but i still have it to re attach) In replacing it, the latch was out of adjustment, and once in a while it would pop open.

Windows up, nighttime, at sixty MPH, i could NOT tell that the trunk was open simply by the air flowing thru the cabin.. that felt the same as it always does.

in other words, the air flow thru the speaker holes and out the rust holes is roughly equivalent to having the trunk open... at least, with windows UP. windows DOWN i always felt a major difference.

ZEIBART CAN INDEED BE A GOOD THING TO HAVE.

128Connie_s_Party_019.jpg

There's your proof right there.

It's all about the application and the man or monkey doing it.If drainholes are left tight or clogged your car got screwed.If it was done right it's still around after a full life in Connecticut or some other rust zone location.

For those assuming why the fenders were replaced it's because all Subarus got a foam strip to deaden vibration/squeaks and acted as a sponge.A completely natural rust spot even in non rust zones.Otherwise my car is mighty solid with one hole begining in the passenger side rocker just rear of the front wheel,as usual.I have a rocker section to use thanks to Corky.

It'll be interesting doing the restoration on this car with the thick application of the Zeibart.This application seems more like Vulcanized rubber with a good thickness to it.Others I've seen are very weak like the product was cut with alcohol or something.Those weak ones dry and flake.Mine hasn't in nearly 30 years.

One yes vote for a properly applied Zeibart job on solid metal.

As Paul said, Ziebart anti-rust isn't bad. Rusty Jones, on the other hand, stinks...and Connie's car is plastered in it. :rolleyes:

I have seen one car rusted that badly--a Rusty Jones-ed '88 DL wagon, with a hole about three by six on the driver's side right under the cargo area window. Wish I had a pic...

heartless: i already HAVE a "project car" that has languished through over two years of me paddling like crazy with my hands up ***************'s creek... and to do ANY work to this vehicle is sending good money and materials after bad. any time and money I invest in fiberglass work, is going to be invested on the Z-car. I am humble enough to drive my Hoopty around in the middle of BMW, M-b, and Porsche land down here in the commercialized hell that south florida has become. (spoken like a true native, :-p)

and moosens, thats funny, because last night I clicked on the thread down at the bottom of this page, under similar threads, and already had found your car and a reference to the ziebarting. I certainly am not knocking Ziebart, since my undercarriage looks A-OK.... I just added that for perspective. Most of the soobs I see in the junkyard are in much better shape than mine, and ive NO idea where it was sold originally.

Anyhow, must run.

heartless: i already HAVE a "project car" that has languished through over two years of me paddling like crazy with my hands up ***************'s creek... and to do ANY work to this vehicle is sending good money and materials after bad. any time and money I invest in fiberglass work, is going to be invested on the Z-car. I am humble enough to drive my Hoopty around in the middle of BMW, M-b, and Porsche land down here in the commercialized hell that south florida has become. (spoken like a true native, :-p)

and moosens, thats funny, because last night I clicked on the thread down at the bottom of this page, under similar threads, and already had found your car and a reference to the ziebarting. I certainly am not knocking Ziebart, since my undercarriage looks A-OK.... I just added that for perspective. Most of the soobs I see in the junkyard are in much better shape than mine, and ive NO idea where it was sold originally.

Anyhow, must run.

No sweat,like I said,it's the installer's technique that makes or breaks it.Can only be recommended if the installer is doing them correctly.

South FL and SW CT,same crowd,too much money,too much attitude,too litlle morals,but they've got the "right" car,clothes,etc. :-\

holy crap - and i thought we had it bad here in Wisconsin! :eek: guess i wont complain anymore! it could definitely be worse!!

Daeron - get out the fiberglass and fix that sucker!!! at least fix it enough that you dont have those huge gaping holes...sheesh...

why? he was delivering pizza that would be the ultimate pity tip car, they think "my god this poor guy can't afford a better car, i'll give him that little extra helping hand"

or at least i would

Worst rust I have ever seen was a wagon in Boulder... it had crank windows... I could tell... from across the parking lot:eek: The outer door skin was gone on the pass door and you could see the entire mechanism... Also large holes about everywhere else... it was a mess. Sat abandoned for about 3 months and then it was gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast123

why? he was delivering pizza that would be the ultimate pity tip car, they think "my god this poor guy can't afford a better car, i'll give him that little extra helping hand"

or at least i would

thank you, my thoughts exactly. :)

ok, ok...i get the point. :grin: and I hear ya on the project languishing in the background...have a couple of those around here as well...

not too many beemers, benz's or Porsches around here - it's more the caddy suv, lincoln suv, and hummer crowd that cant seem to see over thier hoods & notice the little Subaru...:mad: