Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HID lights on the GL wagon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still prefer the addition of fog and driving lights versus the rewiring of the factory headlamps.

but nice job dave

the factory headlamps are not rewired. if i need to i can just unplug the HID bulbs and plug the facroty bulbs back in. all the wiring was done after the factory conector.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I hope I can help educate. Furthermore, I hope that I don't end up in the oncoming traffic when driving around WA. The light scatter from your headlights is tremendous and blinding to everyone else out there.

The picture of the bulb/capsule clearly shows that there is nothing blocking the rest of the reflector from the HID capsule. Therefore, the entire reflector is being used. i.e. High beam. All of the time. Notice the amount of light above the 2nd panel on the garage door? That is stray light blinding others.

If you can, get a friend with factory HID lights to shine their headlights in the same location as your car is now. There are the projector type and the reflector type of HID. Both will have a sharp cut off to reduce the glare. Furthermore, the light is spread very evenly without the hotspots you see now. A well focused HID is amazing.

Retrofitting projectors is by far the best way for the best results. If you can, get the Bi-Xenon projectors. They have a moveable cutoff shield so that you have low and high beam headlights. The lens has to be clear (i.e. no fluting to refract the light)

Hope that helps! embeer.gif

Suberdave,

Obviously you're old lights were near usless, how are these hid's out on the road? Have you had a chance to guage how much glare there is for other drivers yet? People cried about glare when halogens first came out, but they got used to it. I had a '67 Camaro whose headlights were very similar to your OEM, very dangerous at night time! I'm glad for the better lighting technology, so I'm hoping the wagons reflectors are not too bad for glare issues.

-Doug

The picture of the bulb/capsule clearly shows that there is nothing blocking the rest of the reflector from the HID capsule. Therefore, the entire reflector is being used. i.e. High beam. All of the time.

In the regular bulb for that car, there is nothing blocking the rest of the reflector from either the low beam or the high beam filament, so both of them use the whole reflector. The only differences are the positioning of the filament, which makes the light come off the reflector in a different direction, and the wattage. If the HID arc is positioned correctly, then they should create the same lighting pattern as the stock bulb's lowbeam filament, only brighter.

That's not to say that they don't create an unacceptable amount of scatter. The scatter pattern will be the same as the stock bulb, but just like the desired part of the pattern, the scatter will be brighter too.

Dave: Are these bulbs rated as street legal? Have you tested them by following a friend or passing a friend in opposite directions to see if they're too bright for other drivers?

If they're street legal, I might look into a pair myself.

Suberdave,

Obviously you're old lights were near usless, how are these hid's out on the road? Have you had a chance to guage how much glare there is for other drivers yet? People cried about glare when halogens first came out, but they got used to it. I had a '67 Camaro whose headlights were very similar to your OEM, very dangerous at night time! I'm glad for the better lighting technology, so I'm hoping the wagons reflectors are not too bad for glare issues.

-Doug

Actually they havent got used to it. Automakers are hard at work trying to make it better, and the federal goverment along with SAE are studying the issue.

Some automakers have already tweaked their reflectors to make it a bit more tolerable.

nipper

just an update...

it has been 2 full weeks with me driving this car every day in the morning and evening in the dark. the lights work awesome and to date i have not been flashed yet, nor have i been pulled over for haveing illeagal lights. i have passed cops both while driving and while they were sitting on the side of the road.

i hate to say it but these lights are not the only thing on my car that is not "Washington state leagle", and i dont think i will own another subaru as a daily driver that dose not have these lights.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

just an update...

it has been 2 full weeks with me driving this car every day in the morning and evening in the dark. the lights work awesome and to date i have not been flashed yet, nor have i been pulled over for haveing illeagal lights. i have passed cops both while driving and while they were sitting on the side of the road.

i hate to say it but these lights are not the only thing on my car that is not "Washington state leagle", and i dont think i will own another subaru as a daily driver that dose not have these lights.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

unless your really really annoying its hard to get pulled over for improper lights anymore. Thats something that might get caught on inspection or a road block check

nipper

Bah.. for the same price as that HID swap, I did H4/H1 E-Code conversions on my Brat awhile back, and push 700W (total output) on high beam from the stock locations (read: no extra accessory lamps). You can feel the heat from 3 feet away. :eek:

I never did finish that writeup for it tho. :-\ *adds another task to the palmpilot*

From what I've seen in this thread, I dont believe I would've purchased those particular conversion lamps. The scatter from those things is horrible. With the stupid composite lamps the EA82s use, I would've just gone with silverstars for a lil bit extra output, re-aiming, internal cleaning/restoring of the housing/lenses, and possibly redoing the wiring to add relays to minimize voltage drop. /end MHO

Actually they havent got used to it. Automakers are hard at work trying to make it better, and the federal goverment along with SAE are studying the issue.

Some automakers have already tweaked their reflectors to make it a bit more tolerable.

nipper

Atleast they're not banned. When quad headlight cars first started coming out in the 50's, they were actually banned in a few states, leaving automakers to produce state specific models with single lights.

unless your really really annoying its hard to get pulled over for improper lights anymore. Thats something that might get caught on inspection or a road block check

nipper

hehe happened to me 2 years ago.. but I had 6 lights on at once, came around a hairpin corner and there was a cop sitting. apparently in the state of alaska its only legal to have up to 4 "headlights" on at once when you are in city limits.

hehe happened to me 2 years ago.. but I had 6 lights on at once, came around a hairpin corner and there was a cop sitting. apparently in the state of alaska its only legal to have up to 4 "headlights" on at once when you are in city limits.

so what there are like 4 city limits in the entire state :)

nipper

Bah.. for the same price as that HID swap, I did H4/H1 E-Code conversions on my Brat awhile back, and push 700W (total output) on high beam from the stock locations (read: no extra accessory lamps). You can feel the heat from 3 feet away. :eek: ...

Oh my God! ...

:eek: ... 700Watts output?

... I Really will Love to see a Pic of That Setup!. Could you Put here some Pics?

Well... Here in my Country, due to the Lack of Regulations, we can Obtain the 9104 Rally Bulbs, instead of the Standard 9004 ones.

The main Difference `bout, is that the 9004 got Wider (Horizontally) Element, so Wider / Diffuser light is done by 9004. Instead, 9104 got Larger (Vertically) Element, so 9104 Bulbs Reach Twice the Distance with Twice Brightness, and more Clear Spot of Light.

Look this Image for more Info:

Bulb91049004-3.jpg?t=1168006603

Bulb91049004-2.jpg?t=1168006625

Those 9104 are rated 100W High / 80 Watts low (Real Output) are Flösser Brand. Just "Plug and Play" :)

Well... I`ll like to know More `bout the HID Conversion for Subies... What is the Greatest Advantage?

More Brightness?

More Distance can be Reached to Illuminate?

How is the Pattern?

Thanx! :burnout:

Oh my God! ...

... I Really will Love to see a Pic of That Setup!. Could you Put here some Pics?

I would post a bunch, however, its unrelated to the composite lamped EA82. I probably should've made that a bit more clear... this was done on an EA81, with the quad lamp setup. I'm unsure if the early ea82 quad lamp setup would swap into a loyale or not. As to how it looks, it looks completely stock. I've attached a close-up of what they look like. You can plainly see the Autopal logo, and H1 in the middle of the high beam lens. They're actually E-code for LHD countries, and not the RHD models that others try to get away with, causing dangerous glare for oncoming drivers.

Either way, this technically doesnt apply to this thread, as its about the GL/Loyale. :)

Well... Here in my Country, due to the Lack of Regulations, we can Obtain the 9104 Rally Bulbs, instead of the Standard 9004 ones.

The main Difference `bout, is that the 9004 got Wider (Horizontally) Element, so Wider / Diffuser light is done by 9004. Instead, 9104 got Larger (Vertically) Element, so 9104 Bulbs Reach Twice the Distance with Twice Brightness, and more Clear Spot of Light.

Interesting. I wasnt aware of the 9104's existence. Only thing on eBay I can find is one item, a stupid "crystal blue" bulb. :rolleyes: How much do those things run you down there? I'm going to start looking into swapping out the lousy 9004s on my Bronco. :D

/end threadjack

post-3439-136027620015_thumb.jpg

Oh my God! ...

Hey, yah.. Any clue what you might ask to ship four or six of those to the US?? I HIGHLY doubt anyone would get in trouble for those..

It would be interesting to see a photograph showing the beam pattern of those 9104 bulbs in a standard loyale/ea82 headlight lens.. could you take a shot or two like the first ones in this thread and post them?