Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My loyale is FAT!!!

I just saw the thread "EA82 weights".Evidently my loyale weights 2700 lbs.Doesn't seem to light if my full steel bodied saab 900 with full interior come out at 2900lbs(its bigger too!).So Ive decided my loyale needs to go on a diet.Here is what Ive figured out to do:Cut roof off behind the last door pillar(like what scottinbelingham did)replace metal lost with Canvas with some light structure to hold shape.the Canvas and structure will be removable/foldable.the Canvas is lighter than steel so that helps,plus it gets rid of three heavy glass windows.

next thing on the list is replace the remaining side windows with lexan.I plan to heat each piece of lexan to where it conforms with windows.

Next up tubular bumpers.

will that work?will the body still be strong if I remove the back section?Also this will be an off-road rig,but I need doors(it gets cold around here).the canvas will be relativly sealed to keep moisture out and heat in..

around here there is a ton of boats being made,so tons of covering makers,it won't cost to much to make the top canvas...

how does the roof keep rocks out?this is a trail rig.rocks arn't going to be hitting it at high velocities,unless a boulder decides to land on the roof.Or do you mean the rocks that get flung up when mudding?If I had a girlfriend I doubt they would even ride in it offroading..

cutting the roof would be kinda stupid, thats part of the unibodies structual support, you cut it off, thats alot of flexing and youll have some problems, iv herd of people making convertables and not adding support and thier windshields popping out from the twisting of the chassis. Its not even gonna save you much of any wieght, stick with gutting the entire interior, thats alot of wieght right there.

There isn't much if any foam in the doors, iirc

Anyway, with the roof, i was thinking rollover protection, i know, i know, you don't plan on rolling over, well neither did I.

Easiest way to minimize weight is to remove as much non-essential stuff out of the car, i carry a standard assortment of offroad gear, but wagons are just a black hole for junk, and if i don't go through periodically it gets pretty bad.

After that you're gonna get into creature comforts, that rear seat isn't that important :rolleyes: but all that foam and carpet really quiets down the interior, which if you do long trips in the car can be a real pita if you remove.

Also, be sure to clean the bottom of the car off after every run, i'm still taking dirt off the wagon from WCSS8 last week alone it was about 30 LBS.

I've heard of someone who used this weird product (sorry, can't remember what it was) that was kinda like a oily paint or something. You paint it on the underneth of your car and all dirt, sand, mud just washes off really easily. Then you paint it on again next time you expect to hit the dirt. Great for 4x4ing on the beach, as you can wash lots more of that salty sand off..

Just a thought.

If you can live with noise, stipe the carpet, rear seats, door trim, and most of the dash out. This will really drop the weight..

I needs the dash and the rear seats!I NEED the people room(if I could ever get any to come along with me mudding...something about drifting up and down a icy moutain pass with no guardrails springs to mind,in a brat in 4 lo non the less.Or almost rolling said brat tring to turn around offroad..)

hahahaha.. yours weighs 2700 lbs and you are worried??!?!!? my lifted wagon weighed in at 3500 pounds last year. that was before a spring upgrade. They handle just fine as is in offroad situations. You could be running a 4500 lb jeep or a 8000 lb truck with 1 ton axles. I really dont see why you are worried about weight. Adjust suspension accordingly and go for it. You mentioned a EJ swap, the EJ will have more than enough power to deal with added weight of winches and big tires