Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What you think about imprezas?

assuming there's nothing obviously wrong(i.e. smokin engine) what would you offer for the car. its located in the north east coast. Are there any common problems i should look out for? Thanks.

"1992 Subaru Impreza, stick shift for sale

144k, runs good. 4 cylinder. power everything. am/fm, air and heat.

full size spare. interior is kinda dirty, but could be cleaned up nicely.

been taking care of the engine for the 8 years that i owned it."

if its a 92 impreza, then you found yourself a very rare car cause the impreza wasnt made till the 93 model year. ...

I just wanna say for Information, that Imprezas came here to my Country in late 1991, and Legacies came in mid 1989, as I remember... Also if you Check the Subaru History at their website, there`s a page when say that our "Loyale" shaped model, came out in 1981 :eek: as the new "Leoné" ...

http://www.subaru-global.com/history.htm

lLoyalein1981.jpg

I don't see the "92" being a big problem, the guy probably looked at the date of manufacture. I would bet it's a MY93. I would want to actually see the car before making an offer, perhaps even drive it if the owner is up for that? Check Kelly BB and based on the condition you see, make an offer and see if they accept. I just hope he isn't listing the price because he wants some serious green for it.

They're good little cars. I've got a '93 FWD. Wish it was AWD, but I was in need of a car, new to Subies, and the price was right ($1400 3 years ago). It ran good, but the oil looked like crap and was pretty low. The guy knew nothing about cars, and his daughter drove it. It had 165k miles on it then.

I'm up to 200k now. It's got the ej22's little brother for an engine -- the ej18. They are almost identicle, and the ej18 is just as reliable, if not more so. The slushbox 4EAT is acceptable. The 5sp would be better. Over all, I'd get if if the price is right and everything checks out.

The full-size spare was either added by the owner or it's not full-size at all. To my knowledge, all came with limp-a-longs.

I bought one of the first batch that came over here (US) in 1993. I think I bought it in March of that year and it may have had Dec 92 stamped on the door frame for the assembly date.

I owned it 1993-1998 (traded it in for a Forester) and it was the best car I ever owned for reliablility, traction, and stability. The only complaint I had with it was that it was underpowered for such a solid car (1.8 liter engine). They rectified that issue a few years later with the 2.2.

My current Impreza was purchased in the hope that it will live up to its ancestor that I carelessly traded in 9 years ago. I did look for Imprezas in that vintage before I opted for a new one but the well cared for ones are held on to by loyal owners. The few for sale were very neglected.

i just picked one up, its a 93 impreza wagon LS AWD EJ 1.8, i've had legacies all my life and thi sis my first impreza and i can say it handles better than a legacy on curves, the stability is phenomenal... not as comfortable as the legacy but surely it is more economic than the 2.2 and a bit noiser too, but hey it is still the little brother of the legacy, it sounds like a subaru, it is reliable as as subaru, and it is easy to work on...

make sure the clutch is not too low, oil leaks too!, check for rear main seal leaks those can be beotches to change and very expensive to get it done, front cam and crank seals also are very normal to leak, dont be scared by that, $200 plus timing belt and seals job will fix that, wheels bearing are also something you must check, any excesive road noise may indicate a bad bearing.... remember these issues are not to disincorage you to buy, but yes to try to drop the price lower. they are minor issues that can be fixed in no time, i've had all of these and a few more with my impreza, i ended up bying it for $700 from $1500 because i knew the issues and droped the price.

good luck

neo :)

My rear engine seal leaks...It's a little stinky (wish I could recirculate the heat like the AC) at red lights and I have had people think my car was on fire. I have to add a quart and a half of oil or so between changes, but it's mostly just a small inconveniance.

Gas mileage is good...about 30 mpg mixed, even with the auto. 5spd should do better. And mine needs new plugs and wires too... I don't have a garage, so I'm pretty much waiting around for warm weather.

Handling is excellent. Winter traction is excellent for FWD with good snow tires. I run studded ones.