Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what tires your rockin'?

crazy D

they "might" assuming you dont burn out,drive around corners fast,etc.Even though they are radials they are still one of the best off tires out there.As such

they were meant for offroad-dirt included.If you are that worried you can always have a separate set of elcheapo tires you could run when you are on pavenment.SSR's start at 97 bucks a tire.very cheap compared to other off road tires.buy elcheapo tires with money saved-or grab some "free" tires at the junkyard that might go 5-10K miles...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrrr. I'm still rockin' stock. I tried to order 27 x 9.50 SSR's today, but there are NONE in Canada! They're telling me 8 weeks delivery!!!! Only alternatives are: a) order from the states and pay through the nose for shipping. 2) find a different tire.

I've looked around at a LOT of tires today, and the only ones that are available to me are either acceptable tread and price- but too big; acceptable overall diameter- but not very good tread; or acceptable tread and diameter- but too narrow and too expensive.

I'm running wal-terrain Liberators... great on the street, cheap as hell, last forever so far... but they don't grip the best.. They do good in mud or fresh snow... but gravel, packed snow, and dirt they kinda fall flat... I'm just a cheap arse is all... :banana:

sweet i kinda like those....i got some walmart specials on my car now and they have held up pretty good....but i want them bigger, stronger, built to hurt:headbang: (and not hurt the wallet:rolleyes: )

sweet i kinda like those....i got some walmart specials on my car now and they have held up pretty good....but i want them bigger, stronger, built to hurt:headbang: (and not hurt the wallet:rolleyes: )

yep, I had them on my black wagon (which probably had about 25k miles on them when I got it), and they still had decent tread left, and even aired down in the nasty rocks up here, I never punctured a sidewall (although I worried alot about them :eek: ).

Great tire, Amazing cost...

but...if you've got some cash, you can do alot better

Grrrr. I'm still rockin' stock. I tried to order 27 x 9.50 SSR's today, but there are NONE in Canada! They're telling me 8 weeks delivery!!!! Only alternatives are: a) order from the states and pay through the nose for shipping. 2) find a different tire.

I've looked around at a LOT of tires today, and the only ones that are available to me are either acceptable tread and price- but too big; acceptable overall diameter- but not very good tread; or acceptable tread and diameter- but too narrow and too expensive.

I have a used set if you want them , or I can new for you , Im on the border near Surrey

I have a used set if you want them , or I can new for you , Im on the border near Surrey

Thanks Scott. I ordered yesterday, they're trying to get them here quicker. Part of it is pride, I want the car to look right (yes, I will be wheeling it, too) because: a) it'll be the first lifted Soob around and; B) I'm putting my business name on the side.

I would've snagged the used ones from you a couple weeks ago if i knew. I'm about 8-9 hours of driving from where you are, though.

yeah i want the SSR's(like i said ) but they need to last.....i still havent heard of anybody running the thornbirds yet:eek:

for good reason. I've known a couple people who have them, a guy last year at the Crawl 4 the Cure, and another local guy that I've talked to a couple times. neither of them were impressed at all. I guess the offroad traction is similar to your average knock-off Mud-terrain. but with the cost and rough on-road ride of the SSR.

if you're going to spend the money, get the real thing. if you want a knock-off...get a knock-off, and save your money.

i know this sounds really dumb(and yes i am aware of gearing and power) but what a bada$$ tire, super swamper TSL Thornbirds:eek: :eek: :eek: those look like the tire to have....spendy spendy spendy tho...i want something agressive, but cheap

I've used them.

Worst tires ever made.

Not good for street or dirt, mud, rocks, anything.

It's the truth. Ask around.

damn alright then

I guess I got a little zealous there. I had no idea how terrible they were until it was too late...I figured I would try to keep everyone else away from them, too.

But look at the tread pattern. There is no more void that a regular street tire, so...no mud clearance, no grip, stc.

Here's a review from offroaders.com:

Pros: Great looks, fun on street

Cons: NOT a MT tire, NOT an offroad tire

I bought these tires back when I was in high school for my 91 wrangler. They looked awesome, but performed very poorly. I had to air way down to get the side lugs to bite on the rocks.

When in snow (without lockers) I wouldn't get very far if it was over ~10 inches deep. It was a constant battle of backing up to get a run at it. Then I would only go about 50 yards or so before I had to back up again.

In my opinion, I you have a truck that has more chrome, bells, and whistles than a parade of low riders, this tire is for you. It definitely will turn some heads. If you actually use your truck/jeep for offroading, and you would prefer to get to the end of the trail on your own, this tire is NOT FOR YOU.

Here's one from the offroaders.com site (the last one was a user review):

Description: Review of the Interco Thornbird TSL Radial (TSL = Three Stage Lug)

Now, we want to start off by saying, we really like Interco Tire Corporation and their true Mud Terrain tires. Interco has established themselves as the king of hill when it comes to street legal mud tires for common 4x4s at a reasonable price. We use Interco tires ourselves. With that being said, we really wonder what they were thinking when they designed the Thornbird TSL. Really. At first glance the Thornbird looks extremely aggressive. It has one hell of a profile with the knarly 3 stage lugs jutting out of the sidewall like medieval spikes on a chariot wheel. But to call it a true mud tire would be misleading. Within our definition of a true mud tire, the primary tread that makes contact with the mud is the same tread that makes contact with the street surface. With the Thornbird TSL, this tread is more specifically designed as a street tire with very narrow voids between the large, siped lugs. These voids seem more designed to channel water rather than mud. Which may be fine for some people who really want a street tire that looks like a mud tire. But for the offroader who is really looking for a good mud tire as the primary reason behind the purchase of the tire, we suggest you steer clear of the Thornbird TSL and look rather at Interco's other mud tires such as the Super Swamper SSR. That being said we can point out a few good qualities of the Thornbird. First the Thornbird isn't too bad on the street. A couple of people we know have had this tire and as long as the tires or rotated regularly and the front end kept aligned, this tire is relatively quite on the street. The tire looks impressive. We like the sidewall profile with its ugly lug patterns and raised white lettering. But it starts going downhill from there. Traction is about average for a larger mud tire however wet surfaces still requires awareness to the fact that you don't have as much traction as a tire designed for wet road driving. Even with some siping in the lugs they do not grip too well on wet road. Even less so in the snow due in part to the narrow voids between the lugs which do not self clean very well, which helps to explain why this tire can hardly be called a true mud tire. But enough of our ranting. The Thornbird is not all that bad and may actually be what some people are looking for. Size availability ranges from 29x10.50 to 38.5x14.50 in 15, 16 16.5LT with 6 or 8 ply rating model dependant.