Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is your average MPG in EJ22 NA Legacy?

My EJ22 wagon does average 24.684mpg (9.558 litres per 100kms) I have a MS Excel chart since January till now, worst figure was 20.74mpg (towing), best was 26.695 (98% highway) no better or worse than that.

Is there any secrets or improvements I could look out to gain more MPG?

Cheers

AP

It tends to vary from summer to winter a fair bit. I'm not sure if it's the cold engine needing more fuel during warmup or the different gasoline they sell during the winter that affects it more. My mileage during the summer tends to vary between 22 and 26, and during the winter 17-22).

My 95 Subie Wagon (2.2L Manual AWD) is driven fast and hard and often with a lot of gear on top and in the back. Based on the past 3 years of records (yes, I’m a car geek) it averages 24 MPG on mostly city driving. The average is 23MPG in winter and 25MPG in summer.

I can get 27-29 on road trips and 18-20 when I’m AWD in the snow and idling a lot to stay warm.

My best tips for mileage are keeping the weight down by taking junk off the roof and out of the back of the car. I also let my tank run down to empty before refilling rather than constantly topping it off (except in the winter). Also regap or replace your plugs/wires if it’s been while. Make sure your O2 sensor is working in the winter (CEL light when its really cold). Finally, don’t drive like a knucklehead like I do (my other Subie is a WRX).

I average 25-26 in my Legacy, 90 wagon, 2.2 4WD MT, my old 91 sedan got 24-25 city and 27-28 on the highway (Best I ever got was 32 between SLC and Tremonton, Utah)

Oddly enough, Jessica's 1.8 FWD 4AT Impreza gets WORSE mileage than my heavier wagon with a bigger engine :-P She averages 23-24, somtimes as low as 20 if she's just driving in town.

I am running a 2.2 with a 2.5 ECU. I was getting 23 MPG for the last year. It is now in the teens, I just ordered a O2 sensor off Ebay.

Send it back. The front o2 sensor needs to eb a subaru sensor. There have been many examples here where a non subaru front o2 sensor does nothing or makes things worse. They arent as responsive as the factory sesnors. Now for the second o2 sensor that can be generic.

nipper

I checked my mileage yesterday as I thought I was getting horribly bad gas mileage (420km/261 miles per tank) and I am getting 20.6 miles/gallon. This is about 85% highway driving on my way to work each day. Gonna have to change my O2 sensor soon to see if it helps. I purchased this vehicle not only for the extra traction it will provide in the winter, but because I thought I would be getting 28-30 mpg.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Subaru and they want $242CAN for an O2 sensor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send it back. The front o2 sensor needs to eb a subaru sensor. There have been many examples here where a non subaru front o2 sensor does nothing or makes things worse. They arent as responsive as the factory sesnors. Now for the second o2 sensor that can be generic.

nipper

I did get an OEM off ebay for 16 bucks, it was for a 2.5. Since I am running a 2.5 ECU I though I would give it a chance. I saw the pic of the box, it is OEM

my 91 EJ22 wagon 5sp has averaged 25mpg over the past 8 full tanks of gas, my best has been 28.2 and my worst was 21.1mpg. its really not as bad as i thought, although if all you do is city driving there are way more efficent cars.:) my vw will get 28mpg when i beat on it all day long, and 36mpg on a long highway drive. :grin:

My 1991 1/2 Legacy 2.2 Sedan M/T AWD gets about 20 MPG City 23 Highway at an 8.000ft altitude & lots of hills with 89-octane gasoline, and average load, which is not bad, as compared to the 9MPG combined of my last car (Ford Bronco). By local standards it is considered to be a car of moderate fuel consumption in general, but higher than their local non-AWD competitors such as: Honda Accord, Nissan Altima (Bluebird), Toyota Camry & Mazda 626. My dad's 2.0 Legacy Wagon gets about the same mileage...

There is something wrong with m ej22 because everyone is gettig great gas milage but me. I get about 15mpg in the city. RIght no i'm running w/out exhaust and I just got a whole 146 miles to the fill up,lol. Thats my fault, I know. I ordered a new intake so that should help alot, and of course the exhaust should get be back to about 20mpg hopfully.

92 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 218,000 miles I average 25MPG mixed. Get upwards of 28MPG on straight highway @ 75-80MPH. This is all with Arco (BP) unleaded regular (87 octane?) gas. Tires are shot, center diff is toast, and I have an intermitant CEL when the engine is cold (I have not gotten around to cutting the tape to check the codes yet. they are still bundled in the harness as this car does not give CELs often. Hardly ever, in fact)