Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tell me about the spider

Everyone is all about the spider intake. Someone please supply info regarding the benefits of swapping the regular type intake on a turbo car to the spider intake.

I have two spider intakes( sure, make me an offer) sitting in the garage and am about to take apart my RX for resealing and a little massage.

Should I do the swap?

I am guessing that the flow characteristics are better but has anyone done the swap and noticed any difference in HP or seat of the pants? Hard imperical evidence would be nice, but opinions are welcome.

Bring on the Tech!

Curious,

Jay

Jay, there are several reasons the spider is better

The flow dynamics of the long smooth runners and the common plenum being just one.

Another for us high boost turbo owners is the location of the throttle body, very easy to attach an IC there and avoid the noid of the ninty degree turn into the normal plenum throttle body.

As for is it better? well Subaru is not known for going backward very often and the ER and newer EJ engines all use this design.

I would also like to see some empirical results.

Butt dynos are okay but G-TECH numbers are muttsnutz.

sorry Arche, take a look at any turbo XT made after mid 87

or you could ask, Scrapdaddy Tatum, or Trogdor.

Trog lead us to it and we yanked the lump that had one on it.

Yes they are the same physically except for the hose to the MAF

which is not part of it actually

The TPS may also be different, and the wiring may not match exactly connector for connector.

Hope this helps

spiderman.jpg

The BIGGEST difference between an NA and a Turbo spider manifold is the turbo has the coolant plumbing for the turbo, coming off the thermostat area.

I used an NA manifold, and had to end up Tee-ing my coolant line off my heater connection. Luckily the IC hides a little bit of that... but all the same, its kinda ghetto.

When I put it in, I noticed quite a bit of gain. First, it drops a lot more pressure when the blow off valve vents... which makes turbo lag more evident. I fixed this by making my stock WRX BOV on my IC into a 50/50 BOV. I routed a hose back to the air intake, just before the turbo. Problem solved. I also don't have a lumpy idle thing that I used to.

Not only does it perform better, but now... it looks way cooler. I got rid of about 10" of intercooler plumbing (from the IC to the intake) when I did the swap.

Highly suggest it. 8-10 on the neato scale. Would do again in a heartbeat. (i'd make sure and get a turbo one first though)

• 10 months later...
i got a bunch of parts off a guy when i bought a car from him one of which being a turbo spider intake how much are they worth

I'd say depending on the completeness $100+. I and others are looking for them. At the moment I'm only in need of the waterpipe section that houses the thermostat.

Keith