Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas tank filling causes pump to stop prematurely

When I fill the car up with gas when its low, the first several minutes of filling, the fuel pump handle releases like it thinks the tank is full. I'm guessing this is because of fumes escaping from the tank, which causes this? Anyways, this generally wouldn't be that big of a problem, but since I'm living in Oregon atm, the state stupidly makes it illegal to pump your own. That means, some moron pumps it for me. They typically start it and then walk away -- only to have the fuel pump stop a few seconds later. This goes on for several minutes, annoying me (for having to wait even longer for something so simple) and I'm sure the attendant.

Is there anything I should check to possibly fix this?

Maybe you could have them put it on only the second click instead of all the way on? I'm not sure but I think those pumps click off under a certain amount of backpressure.

I didn't know there were places that don't let you pump their own gas. Many times these laws are the result of someone getting hurt at some point. It also might be that AFAIK the area around gasoline pumps is a 'classified area' as per NFPA, though I don't recall the group/div rating off hand.

Lots of states let you pump your own gas. Its more uncommon that you can't.

Try a differnt pump or differnt station. The pump your using may be set to sensetively. And as suggested slow down the pump. No one is going to arrest you on the spot if pump your own gas to try to figure out what works best.

nipper

I had a car that did this to me. Turned out there was part of an old locking gas cap stuck about 6" down the filler neck; as if someone lost the key to the cap and broke the top off and shoved the rest down the fill neck.

I'd check for anything stuck in the tube (if you find its' not the gas pump iteslf).

Lots of states let you pump your own gas. Its more uncommon that you can't.
I know. I'm a Washington resident who is only going to college in Oregon.

Try a different pump or different station.
I have. All stations do the same thing.

I think it was safety that prompted them to enact the law, but there are enough people employed by that law that every time they try to change it, it gets voted down, and while I agree with creating jobs, cuz I know not having a job sucks, it also sucks sitting at the gas station for a half hour to get gas...

my g/f's car does this too when the tank is low...i think its cuz of fumes, if i hold it out a little bit it doesnt do it

This has happened to me since owning my 96GT, but I never noticed that it is due to a low tank, it seems to me that the pump nozzle has to be pushed as far into the filler tube as possible to avoid it shutting off.

2 opposite opinions.

What I have noticed is that if I shove the nozzle 100% in, it will sometimes click off, especially if you have a fast pump (more flow). My theory is that the tip of the nozzle is right up against the pipe (lower side it seems) when pushed all the way in. The gas stream is 'deflected' a bit, and this creates a bit of back pressure. With a high flow and/or sensitive pump, it will click off.

On the other hand, if I pull the nozzle back out just a bit (eg half an inch or so), the tip is no longer pressed hard against the filler pipe (again, in my car, it seems that the nozzle is now resting against the upper side of the pipe, but gravity is pulling the gas stream down anyway, so there really isn't any (slight) restriction to the flow) and the pump does not click off.

What I'm saying is that I think it is a geometry issue. (You have to try to picture a cross sectional view of the nozzle in your fillter pipe.) Whether you need to push a nozzle in more or less will depend on the degree of bend in the nozzle and its length (but they all seem pretty much the same to me) and the shape of your filler pipe. The latter will obviously not be the same on all cars.

As was also mentioned, it's possible that you have a restriction in the pipe.

I really can't imagine vapors creating enough back pressure to cause the pump to click off.

Just my observations. You might try instructing the attendant to push the nozzle all the way in, then pull it back 1". See what happens.

Commuter

On the other hand, if I pull the nozzle back out just a bit (eg half an inch or so), the tip is no longer pressed hard against the filler pipe (again, in my car, it seems that the nozzle is now resting against the upper side of the pipe, but gravity is pulling the gas stream down anyway, so there really isn't any (slight) restriction to the flow) and the pump does not click off.

Commuter

Good suggestion, Commuter. I learned to do this automatically a long time ago and now I don't even think about it--but it works on my car.